Old 01-14-2015, 11:11 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
The suggestion to tape the keys "up" is a great approach to contravene human nature. As a former locksmith I carry one set of keys for the moho and the toad key is also in my pocket, but separate. There is a full set of moho the moho since I can always get in if I ever lose the first set outside. But the other solution: don't lose the keys.

The PO put a push-button combination key box inside one of the compartments that could be reached form outside so he could put an access key in it...but he never gave me the combination so it just rests there. There's a fair variety of these available that you could attach somewhere, just don't drill & tap screw holes in the propane tank. LOL.

Cliff & Andrea,
2 cats, but they stay home
TerraYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
As the entrance locks are virtually meaningless to any dedicated thief, my greatest concern is locking myself out. I wish there was a some sort of touchpad to unlock the door. This is 2015, surprised the aftermarket doesn't have one for us. Or do they?

Hi, I believe the aftermarket does have those, but only for SOB trailers.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:32 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have four sets, unfortunately cannot remember where they are....

The "hidden" set is inside the trailer accessible through one of the appliance access doors, but hidden from view. So, one has to know where to look to find the keys, and must have the proper tool to reach them. I have a duplicate set in the TV, one set in my purse, and the active set is usually around my wrist with one of those expandable wrist bands.

I also have an alarm system on the trailer door, not so much to prevent a break in, but so i can nap with only the screen door closed, and if this is opened the buzzer will awaken me and potentially scare intruders off. The "alarm" system will be supplemented by appropriate stickers on the trailer suggesting a system is being monitored by a security system off site.

A dog barking inside the trailer will be hooked up with a highly varied pattern, and if someone disturbs the trailer as in a break in attempt, this will be set off. For sure, criminals do not want a dog encounter as this is so unpredictable and that is not what someone breaking in wants. They have high control needs, so an unknown threat is almost always off-putting to them.
Happy trails and Good Luck
Ms Tommie Fantine Lauer, Greensboro, NC
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
This thread has to be a result of going stir crazy due to a lack of camping.
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:47 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
I bought a lockbox (sold at Home Depot or Lowe's) like real estate people put on homes that are on the market. The lockbox uses a combination that I set myself. In the lockbox there are keys to my hitch lock, door locks, and tow vehicle. The lockbox is attached to a metal bar inside the case the covers the LP Gas tanks. This insures that I always have a keys to the TV and Trailer that I can get to. Safe travels.
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
This fat boy had 3 sets of keys locked in the trailer.i striped down to almost nothing and crawled in the rear storage and lifted the bed up and I was in,there are keys on the outside and in the pickup......

tjdonahoe is online now   Reply With Quote