Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Watersound , Florida
Key West Rv Parks

Any comments on Boyds Campground in Key West? We are going to the Keys in April and are looking for "nice" RV parks..thanks
Saltydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i found 2 threads for you. there might be more.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...0-a-63711.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...yds-64634.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
We stayed at Boyds about 10 or so years back, liked it just fine. Backed right up on the water. It is very convienent to KW but of course that costs $$$. We liked the night life so a long drive back up the Keys after an evening in town wasn't desirable. we paid the bucks, stayed close, rented a scooter to get around on. A bicycle would work also. Parking is tough in town, especially with a large tv. If you don't need a driver, & don't mind driving into KW, some $ can be saved by staying farther up the Keys. We also stayed on Big Pine Key once. Bahia Honda SP is also very nice but hard to get a spot.
Anyway, back to the original ?. Boyds should be just fine. Enjoy the Keys and Key West, it's a different world down there. Have a safe & happy trip. John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Talk to me during Canopener. We haven't stayed at Boyd's, but we have been to Key West three times in the last five years.

Chief

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Watersound , Florida
Thanks to all, I appreciate the feedback. I think we are going to give Boyds a shot. I will post my visit so that it may help others, Chief, I look forward to meeting you at the Canopener. I took a walk through Topsail this afternoon and it was very quiet. I can't wait to see all the AS's
Old 12-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #6

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We're going to Key West in January and are staying at Blue Water Keys, it's pricey but it's a beautiful place!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
We're going to Key West in January and are staying at Blue Water Keys, it's pricey but it's a beautiful place!

I checked out their web pages. Looks like a very nice place.
Have you stayed there before?
Do you know if they offer any discounts, ie, AAA?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #8

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
No, we've never stayed there but the reviews were great! No discounts that I know of and I wanted to go in February but they were full. There are two websites to rent from
http://www.bluewaterkey.com/
And
http://www.bluewaterkey.net/

It's is an owners resort and they have two different agencies renting them out. When are you going?
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Watersound , Florida
What a nice place. I think we need to reconsider Boyds.. Thanks, let us know how your trip goes...
Old 12-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Couple thoughts

Being familiar with Key West now (4th time at Bluewater scheduled for May), I gotta say that a ride from Boyd's to Duval is still a hike. Where are you putting the scooter when you're on Duval? Also, drunk driving on a scooter is no better than drunk driving in a car. This time I'm going to get familiar with the bus system. There's a stop right in front of Bluewater. There's a great public parking area right off off Mallory. Hope this helped. Have a blast.
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:08 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
blmitch5,
Thanks for the info. No plans in the near future to travel, but the Keys are among one of my favorite places to visit, although it's been years since I've been there. It's definately on the radar for next year. Just came back from southern NM 2 weeks ago and I've been trying to clean things up, with the weather lately, it's becoming quite a challenge. Might get some snow today! I'll just have to think about Florida for now.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Watersound , Florida
Bluewater has a 24ft min... Do you think I would have a problem with a 23fb FC?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Chief, When you drag down to Key West do you stay at the Navy MDR campground/park?
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Chief, When you drag down to Key West do you stay at the Navy MDR campground/park?
We have stayed at the military campground, and Bahia Honda State Park.....both have their good and bad points.

Reservations for Bahia Honda are some of the most difficult to obtain.......either be on the phone at 8:00 EST, exactly six months from your arrival date, or haunt the website for cancellations. Some people love the campground.....especially if they snag a waterfront site. We enjoyed our visit, but would not go back. The "no see-ums" just about drove us crazy.

Reservations cannot be made for the military campgrounds. If you plan to go during Winter months, forget about staying at Sigsbee and having hookups. Trembo Point is the overflow for Sigsbee, and is strictly dry-camping. However, two really great things: they never turn anyone away (it's just a big field), and it is about a mile from Mallory Square (where the action starts each day with the sunset celebrations). We prefer staying at Trembo because of it's location. However, the shower facility is deplorable (reminescent of a 50's style high school locker room), and you can end up with some "interesting" neighbors. There is a lot of drama among the "long-term" residents (some folks spend the whole Winter there), but for a few days it is hard to beat......especially the price of $12 per night. The city of Key West does not allow overnight parking.....ANYWHERE!

I like Key West.....my wife....not so much. The biggest problem I have is the drive from Miami to Key West.......the longest 100 miles in the world, or so it seems at 45 mph with traffic and lots of redlights. BTW, Monroe County is serious about traffic law enforcement (no, I don't have first-hand experience )

Chief

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have been stationed in Key West and have many deployments down that way. After retiring from the Navy I lived on my sailboat at the Air Station Marina for about 6 months before moving on down island. It is on my bucket list of places that I want to revisit after I get my Airstream. Michael
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
"Reservations for Bahia Honda are some of the most difficult to obtain.......either be on the phone at 8:00 EST, exactly six months from your arrival date, or haunt the website for cancellations. Some people love the campground.....especially if they snag a waterfront site. We enjoyed our visit, but would not go back. The "no see-ums" just about drove us crazy".

Chief, I read your above quote and could relate. The beach was great and the water was wonderful, but at night.............bugs!
My family and I tent camped there back in the early 70's, those bugs were bad then. In between 1974 and now you'd think the state park would have tried to control them some how.
Anyway, back to my story, we woke after being in our sleeping bags for only about 2 hours because of feeling like we were being eaten alive. Packed everything up and went to a motel at 2 in the morning. My wife and kids looked like they had chicken pox all over.
Not one of our best camping trips.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #17
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
El mar rv resort on stock island.. Just down the street from Boyd's. Boyd's is cramped and crowded,IMO.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Just got back from south Florida including 4 nights at Lazy Lakes at Sugar Loaf Key (mile marker 20). Free internet, cable and sewer. Movies on Sunday night, donuts on Monday a.m. and pot luck dinner on Wedneday. Older park ,but clean. Some sites are privately owned, some long term and some short term. Not as $$$ as some but still $$$ compared to state parks. Quiet the nights we were there. They do have a web site.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote