Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2017, 07:13 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Key West Naval Base Camping 2017

Was in Key West, FL over the weekend (1/15) and thought I would update all on the campground.

Because its on the Navy base only Airstreamers with military ID are permitted past the security check points onto the property.

Sigsby Island, where the Campground MWR office and marina are located, has 92 full h/u sites and about 100+ dry camp sites. Trumbo Point has about 250+ dry camp sites only. Everyone starts out in dry camping and as of this week thru February, its approximately 3 weeks before moving to full hookups. Only RV'ers at Sigsby are in the rotation, those staying at Trumbo Point are there as long as they wish to stay.

Sigsby has nice bath house and laundry as well as gas station, commissary, and exchange are walking distance. Rates are $14 day dry camping and $24 day for full hook up. The campground host are very nice and will notify those in rotation to move around 8-9am daily.
Full h/u sites are limited to 14 day max stay then move into dry camping for the rotation cycle to start again.

Saw many dry campers with larger portable solar panels and wind turbines. Dump station is nearby as well as water to refill tanks. Generators are permitted between 8am and 10p.

For those not familiar with the location, Trumbo Point is next to the Coast Guard Base and where the large building with "Fly Navy" is located. That building is now a hotel in the DOD Lodging system and has nice queen rooms for $70 per night. Its also walking/bike distance to Mallory Square and downtown Duval Street. If riding a bike on base, you must have a helmet and lights for night riding. Otherwise MP's will make you walk.

Also, only active duty military can make reservations for campground thru the DOD Lodging site.

My Landyacht is not set up for long term dry camping but while attending the Tampa RV show this week, am looking into options I might add.

Hope that covers all the details. Drop a line if anyone has questions.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Thanks for the update. Always preferred Trumbo as it is staggering, I mean walking, distance to the tourist district...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Great run down, glad we didn't head to key west this month. Will wait to it clears out a little

DBLee and Southern Belle on the road
Old 01-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #4
Flp
Silver Sausage

1973 31' Sovereign
Key West , Florida
It is a bit windy with the front coming in = cloudy water. Otherwise, we've had a really nice January weather-wise.
Flp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Las Vegas , Nevada
Good to hear the DOD is on board recognizing your service. Please accept my heartfelt thanks for your service.
acemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Mike1997, thanks for the great run-down. I visited Key West when I was active duty and would like to come down for a visit with our Airstream. Maybe when I retire from my third career!
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:55 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
James Island , South Carolina
Key West

Just left Sigbee Saturday. Was there for three weeks and my wife is still crying. We try to go there several times a year. Our favorite time is in the summer. Yes it is hot but being from Charleston SC we are use to heat and humidity but less tourists and full hookup on base.
KC5ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:22 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Euless , Texas
Thank you for the info on the FamCamp at Sigsby Island. I'm retired A.F. and will be retiring from my second career next year when we plan to hit the road full time. We've been curious about how the military (MWR) facilities might play into our travels. We downloaded the Allstays C-RV app which seems to show all of the military options out there.

I took a peak at what I think is a pic of the Sigsby dry camping waiting area and it looks like they are packed in their like sardines in a big open field.

Wonder if there are other retired military out there who have used the MWR FamCamp facilities. Maybe we should start a new thread if there isn't one out there already.

Can't wait for next year to join in the adventure with you all!
gesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The Air Force Famcamps have a Frequent Camper program that is a pretty good deal. The Navy, naturally, has quite a few near or on the water. Army has fewer but they are well cared for. I have never stayed on a Marine base. The Coast Guard even has a couple.

The fees have gone up a bit recently as MWR has to be self supporting in most cases but they are still a good deal and you usually have a commissary nearby to reload the larder...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:14 PM   #10
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Thanks for the info, Mike1997. I guess I hadn't heard of this MWR facility before.

gesam, the BX/PX sells a book that covers all MWR facilities world-wide. I used to have a copy of it, but it was destroyed in a "flood" in the downstairs bathroom a few years back. Thus, I don't remember the name of the book. It's not expensive, maybe twenty bucks.

We've stayed in a few of the facilities over the years, but only a very few. The rules vary from place to place (sometimes wildly). At Eglin, for example, you can't make a reservation for a full hookup spot (or maybe any spot, can't remember). "Who" can stay and in what order also varies between the facilities. For example, DOD civilians can stay in many of the places, Active Duty gets priority in some, sometimes the fees you pay are based on your rank, etc. Point being, it can be difficult to get a space at times and in certain locations.

Enjoy you impending retirement!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Check out this web site. I use the MWR camping facilities as much as posible. Some are wonderful, like Cliffside on Widbey Island in Washington, to a couple that will remain nameless.

http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Thanks for the info, Mike1997. I guess I hadn't heard of this MWR facility before.

gesam, the BX/PX sells a book that covers all MWR facilities world-wide. I used to have a copy of it, but it was destroyed in a "flood" in the downstairs bathroom a few years back. Thus, I don't remember the name of the book. It's not expensive, maybe twenty bucks.

We've stayed in a few of the facilities over the years, but only a very few. The rules vary from place to place (sometimes wildly). At Eglin, for example, you can't make a reservation for a full hookup spot (or maybe any spot, can't remember). "Who" can stay and in what order also varies between the facilities. For example, DOD civilians can stay in many of the places, Active Duty gets priority in some, sometimes the fees you pay are based on your rank, etc. Point being, it can be difficult to get a space at times and in certain locations.

Enjoy you impending retirement!

Jim

Also, some MWR campgrounds allow contractors access which has caused some consternation.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We use military campgrounds as we move about the country and like most of them very much. They are often convenient for travelers. Accessibility in some is hampered by "Homesteaders", full-timers who have settled in as a near-permanent home. Rules vary from place to place.

We have camped at Naval Air in Pensacola, FL but plan to go to Key West next year to experience that part of our country. We don't mind dry camping for extended periods, is there plenty of site availability in the winter months?

Earlier this winter season sited on the beach at Pt. Mugu Naval Air Station, CA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_3ccd.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	278719  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:15 PM   #14
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Oh wow, Tsunami, that's ridiculous. Considering that MWR is pretty much self-sustaining, I think mostly funded by user fees and PX/BX/Commissary profits. Oh well, you can't fix stupid. Sad that it's on the backs of soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen that provide most of those profits.

BUT, that's not what the thread is about. Sorry for taking it in the wrong direction. Enjoy 'em if ya got 'em! (reservations, that is).

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 01-24-2017, 06:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have stayed at over a dozen military campgrounds. Some certainly are better than others. Some are full modern facility and others are bear bones. The MWR camps are cash strapped and must exist on revenue generated from fees. Tough to do with their low rates. The most interesting and worst I have stayed at was the army base in Charleston SC. They had no host. People staying there told me that about once a week someone would come by to clean the showers. They had electric/Water and a dump station. Fee was supposed to be $10 a night but the office was rarely open and no one ever came around to collect according to other residents. It was located at the intersection of two interstates. Sounded like jets taking off all night long. I only stayed one night and moved to a commercial park for a couple of days.
One of the nicest I regularly visit is the Navy Blue Angels Park in Pensacola. The new section is called Battleship Row. Beautiful modern full hook up facility with very nice showers and washing machines.
The Navy also has another family campground located on the main Naval Air Station. Mostly populated by permanent active duty and civilian Navy employees. Retired are welcome when spots are open.
The Navy Key West campground is all about location and prices. None better for Key West.
The Coast Guard also has a very nice small maybe 20 spots family camp in Miami. It is open to retired on a space available basis like all military recreation facilities. The time I stayed there were only about a dozen RV/tts. Most were permanent party active duty.

I have retired Navy friends that go back and forth between Keesler Air Force Base family camp here in Biloxi and Pensacola Navy camp. Retired are only allowed to stay at these two camps for three months at a time.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:22 PM   #16
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
By far, our favorite. But, you can't take yer Airstream there.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 01-25-2017, 09:01 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Key West Camping

Mike,

Thanks for the current info on Key West as we are considering heading down that way. We checked the online military RV campground information but its not always current and is sometimes confusing. Its nice to know what to expect.

Thanks again
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:07 AM   #18
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We are in dry camp at Sigsbee and have been here for just over 3 wks. We anticipate rotating to full hookups in a few days. They are full here but there's constant movement here with a few coming and going every day. I think right now there are 5 or 6 Airstream trailers here. That's the most I've seen at one time since we've been coming here. We enjoy staying on military bases and route ourselves to do that when we can.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:30 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Roger, for example if we want to come down to Sigsbee next January when the camp is full, how can we get a site? No reservations as I understand?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #20
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We came in on 4 Jan. No problem at that time. Since then more have come in but they have not needed to turn anyone away. So next Jan the earlier the better. There is always some coming and going although most are hear for the long haul. Once you are in you can stay pretty much as long as you want. We are here till early March

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote