Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
melrose , Massachusetts
Key West

looking for recommendations on a road trip to key west. campgrounds, local transportation and of course restaurants and bars, and info on any dog friendly spots - thanks
jennian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennian View Post
looking for recommendations on a road trip to key west. campgrounds, local transportation and of course restaurants and bars, and info on any dog friendly spots - thanks
I'll start you off with a restaurant; THE restaurant I've traveled to Key West to eat at before. Across from the city marina is Pepe's -- what to buy? why, their steak smothered with pork chops smothered with onions, of course!

Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Something's wrong with going to Key West to have a steak. Gotta think about that one. If you're retired military the Navy Base has great camping and very reasonable.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Flordia Keys

Thanks..we planning a trip to the keys also and any information you receive will be greatly appreciated by this camper too. Never been there and looking forward to it. My Son-in-Law is renting a MH and we are following with Bambi. Polarlysed mentioned a military base is there and my son-in-law is a Lieutenant Coronal in the AF so it appears we lucked out.
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
We love the No Name Pub on Big Pine key. Great fried shrimp and grouper sandwich. No Name Pub

The nicest place to stay in Long Key SP. All the sites are right on the shoreline. Welcome to Florida State Parks

Name:   long key.jpeg
Views: 1017
Size:  12.4 KB

I wish I was there now with this cold weather here in PA.

Ace in PA
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Go to this web site for info on the NAS Key West camping option.
U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - NASKW Campground

There are two Navy camp sites in Key West area. The Sigsbee RV Park and the Trumbo Point campground. Trumpo Point is near KW city center but has no hookups. It is actually their overflow area.

I second the recommendation on Pepe's and they offer $1 draft beers!
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
We have reservations, but haven't stayed yet, at Bahia Honda SP; I am told it is great but cannot vouch - yet.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Note that Military Campgrounds are for the use of eligible members with valid ID cards, active duty members getting priority as the southern campgrounds can get very busy in winter months, with backlogs. There are some exceptions but I don't think Key West is one of them.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Tryon , North Carolina
If you are wanting to eat out, and you like Cuban food, I really like "El Siboney". They are always busy and their food has always been good.
I have not stayed in the Bahia Honda SP. but it sure looks like a great place to stay and I think it would make a pretty good home base. I have heard that John Pennycamp SP is not quite as nice.
Enjoy your time, the Keys are a wonderful place!
69Silvrbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
I have stayed at Bahia Honda SP, excellent spot. We used it as a base for the keys, close enough to Key West to do day visits.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
We stayed at Boyds on Stock Island, just across the bridge from KW. Backed right up to the Gulf. We rented scooters, which makes it easier to get around town. Drove them right up to the trailer. A bicycle also works well. Plenty of good food, beverage, entertainment down there. Enjoy it all.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
We stayed at Boyds on Stock Island, just across the bridge from KW. Backed right up to the Gulf. We rented scooters, which makes it easier to get around town. Drove them right up to the trailer. A bicycle also works well. Plenty of good food, beverage, entertainment down there. Enjoy it all.

John
Too funny, I spent the winter at Boyd's 35 years ago. It was $8/night & I thought it was really high, considering every other campground I'd ever stayed at was around $3/night. From what I hear, it's somewhat more now.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Oh yea, closer to a hundred bucks a nite now, probably.

The closer to mile marker 1 you stay, the more it costs.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #14
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We got lucky and got a site at Long Key SP a few years ago. They had been closed for construction and had just opened. There were only 4 or 5 campers there. Our lucky day for sure. The Navy Base is great. We stayed in the overflow area for 4 days. It was March and since we didn't need any AC it was fine to have no electric. We used our generator a little and on board water. No hookups in overflow but water and dump are nearby. If you are looking to stay awhile you can rotate into the hookup sites as they become available but we were only there for the 4 days so it was fine with us. It would be fine for your son-in-law but I don't know if he can bring a guest camper in. He should check on that first.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
We have reservations, but haven't stayed yet, at Bahia Honda SP; I am told it is great but cannot vouch - yet.
It is a great campground, and convenient. So is John Pennecamp, the Coral Reef State Park, we spent 2 mo. there.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:11 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
1981 28' Airstream 280
Olympia , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to BusDriver
We stayed at Trumbo for 10 days, a couple of years ago, saved us a lot of money. The area is so large they can probably take 1,000 RV for Dry Camping. They have a very nice laundry, showers and bathrooms and a large swimming pool, a dump and good water.
Check out our Travel Blog
buddytravels.blogspot.com Streamin with Joe and Buddy
BusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Been going to the Keys for almost 40 years, Key West is not what it was years ago. It's worth a day trip but that's about all as far as I'm concerned. They sold their soul to the cruise ship trade. It's crowded , overpriced , and not RV friendly. You can not park an RV of any kind on the street or in their lots. Also, take lots of quarters because they have a parking meter everywhere they can stick one.

The beaches are nothing to write home about and dogs can go only on one small dog beach. However they do have a good dog park. A lot of bars and restaurants will let you have your dog at the outdoor seating areas . Often times our dog has been served a bowl of water or a treat as soon as we were seated. All in all a very dog friendly town.

As for camping , the state parks are all great , but hard to get into. Most sites are booked well in advance. Seeing Key West is not really seeing the Keys.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Raleigh , North Carolina
Boyds, without a doubt. First Class and the folks are great!
Travel Safe,
FLTRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:45 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Anacortes , Washington
We stayed at Boyds in Feb last year with our 07 Interstate plus a small (4x6) utility trailer. It was OK but the most expensive site we have found yet. Think it was $115 per night -- they charged extra for the trailer. We looked at the FL State Parks sites which look very nice but they had been booked up for weeks.
Interstate20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
It's very difficult to get primo spots at Bahia Honda, but worth it when you do luck up. Long Key is much more accessible (available) and is absolutely great. Wake up to a nice sunrise, walk across A1A at night and sit on the seawall for the sunset. It's a good life there.

We've stayed at Boyds and had a great time there, using it solely as a home base. The staff is very friendly and courteous and while we didn't much of them, they're stocked with amenities.

Pennekamp is my least favorite of the Key's state parks. Concrete slabs right on top of each other with little to no shade. Tons of dive tours and "adventurers" there though, so it may be your thing.

My sole restaurant recommendation while in KW is Blue Heaven for breakfast.