Old 10-07-2006, 10:37 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Cumberland is GREAT! When I was in the Navy and stationed in Chicago, we used to drive all the way to Lake Cumberland on the weekends (8.5 hours) just to go cliff diving. Great times!

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:38 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
We're Back!

Hi everyone and thanks for all of your help with our Kentucky vacation. It was wonderful. We left the Wednesday before Thanksgiving - the weather was so perfect. And what an experience camping in the off-season was for our children and our newly converted camping friends who are now ready to trade the pop-up for something easier and harder..(tehe)

Some of the highlights of the trip (too many to list all) were a visit to Fern Clyffe state park in Southern Illinois - amazing hiking with cliffs, caves, and waterfalls. We stopped in Metropolis to see the Superman Museum. The Corvette museum was a thrill for the men in my life. Mammoth cave was definitely the highlight. We stayed in the national park. It was the last week it was open, nobody but us there, and we were able to use the camp host sites that had electric and a beautiful deck with a great firepit and view. Wood was abundant everywhere we went and free for the taking. We took the Travertine tour through Mammoth cave- wish we had chosen a longer tour but it was a little dangerous to have a 2 year old frolicking about in a cave so it worked out okay and gives us a reason to come back. We also visited Dinosaur World in Cave City - a thrill for our boys to see lifesize dinosaur replicas and a thrill for us to our children so thrilled. We tried to stay a night in Louisville but there was an RV show and we couldn't find anything with a vacancy so continued up north (who woulda thought on a Tuesday in November?). Most days were 70-75 degrees and sunny right up until the end of our trip when the weather reports of the coming snowstorm gave reason to head home a day early.

It was great. Thanks again all for your help!
Attached Images

hotLAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:42 PM   #17
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Next time yer out that way in Aprilish, go see Thunder over Louisville. It's quite an event. Air show followed by what I seem to recall being told is the largest fireworks display in the country.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
I would love to tell you we have the nice weather all the time, but someone would probably speak out and tell the truth. The weather now has high's in the 40's.
Glad you had a good trip. There is plenty more to see in Kentucky. Shakertown, Cumberland falls (moonbow), Land Between the Lakes, Louisville Slugger Museum, Kentucky Horse Park.

"Y'all come back now Ya hear"

Greg Jones
CaptainJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:59 AM   #19
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Sounds like you had a great trip. We plan on "doing" that area again some time and focusing on the Mamouth Cave area in particular.
2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:08 AM   #20

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Glad you had a nice trip!

Always nice when people enjoy a trip in the area, reminds me how lucky I am to live here. I will be in east KY for the sping (Berea) anyone know the cool spots there?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote