Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Kentucky recommendations?

Hello all,

My wife, son (8), daughter (5) and myself are planning to take 4-5 days and take a trip down to Kentucky. We've never been to Kentucky, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for campgrounds, or things to see. We like to hike and be outdoors, but we also like to see points of interest when traveling somewhere new. I'd like to camp somewhere near water, and within driving distance to some good points of interest. We're also meeting my mom/boyfriend from Georgia with their large 5th wheel.

Because we will be staying >3 nights, I would prefer to have sewer hookups. We are traveling from Pennsylvania, so we're probably looking to visit the eastern part of the state.

Thanks in advance,
Eric
Emerson75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
A couple years ago we stayed at Natural Bridge State Resort Park on the Mountain Parkway just southeast of Lexington. It was very scenic with gorgeous local drives & very nice hikes in to arches. (Nada Tunnel road, Red River)

We stayed in the Whittleton campground (around site A27) and I swore at how difficult it was to extricate the Safari when we wanted to leave. There's about an 8" dropoff from the narrow asphalt road and forest right up against the other side of the road -- no room to swing straight out of the site. It was so difficult that I drove through the Middlefork campground to compare. It's more open but any of the hookup sites would have been much easier. We had a nice time anyway. Loved the whip-poor-wills calling in the evening!

This is a sampling of one. We didn't have time to head further east -- Tin Sista has been that direction and contributed some reviews IIRC.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:56 AM   #3
Roadtrain O--O~(--ooo--)

2000 34' Limited
1979 31' Excella 500
Miamisburg , Ohio
We recently attended a forums rally at the Taylorsville Lake state park (Dogwoods and Bluegrass). The newer state park was very well maintained, the campsites were large with easy access and there are quite a few activities as it is close to Louisville.
The lake is a short hike and there are many trails of various lengths, we were favorabley impressed, had a great time.

Natural Bridge is also a lovely park and a great hike!
AIR #12881
TAC OH-10
ebair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:15 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Welcome to the Bluegrass State! There was a recent thread about traveling in KY but I'm not sure how to post a link to this thread. KY is an absolutely beautiful state and has so many amazing places to see. So, here are my suggestions....since you have family coming from Georgia I would also suggest staying in the Eastern section. Look at Cumberland Falls (there will be a moon bow this month!!!) Renfro Valley, Natural Bridge, The KY Horse Park, Lake Cumberland, Fort Boonesborough. All of these locations offer nice facilities with stunning scenery and with quick access to many activities. Good luck and hope you enjoy your time in Kentucky!

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Antsy said it best...

France ain't got nuthin' on Kentucky in the Spring!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Bethany , Illinois
Don't forget Mammoth Cave. I know it is technically in the western part of the state, but its close to I-65(easy to get to from Georgia or Penn.). The kids would like it. Lots of different cave tours to see(nice change of pace in the summer heat). You have to book some tours ahead, like the underground river tour. We stayed at Diamond Caverns RV Resort last year. It is very close to the park on the South side. Full hook ups and a pool for the kids. Also plenty of hiking in the park and canoeing in the Green River. There is a state park on the North side of the park that does have a lake but I doubt they have full hook ups. OH, and Mammoth Cave is somewhat educational, but don't tell your kids that.
airstream66 is offline   Reply With Quote