Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Keeping trailer vented during transit

I would like to find a good method to ventilate our AS while in transit. I don't think leaving any roof vents open is wise even with them facing the rear. Likewise leaving window's open wouldn't be advisable. Has anyone else thought that it might be nice to have some fresh air venting in the trailer during transit in nice weather ?????

Also, 2nd related issue. Bathroom odors. Nothing really noxious but just not real fresh either. We use the normal home air fresheners but is there something that would work better out there ???? We make sure that the tank is empty when we get home but while closed up we need to freshen things a bit.

Thanks,

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I would like to find a good method to ventilate our AS while in transit. I don't think leaving any roof vents open is wise even with them facing the rear. Likewise leaving window's open wouldn't be advisable. Has anyone else thought that it might be nice to have some fresh air venting in the trailer during transit in nice weather ?????

Also, 2nd related issue. Bathroom odors. Nothing really noxious but just not real fresh either. We use the normal home air fresheners but is there something that would work better out there ???? We make sure that the tank is empty when we get home but while closed up we need to freshen things a bit.

Thanks,
Leaving the front and rear ceiling vent covers slightly open on the rear side, "IS" the pproper way to vent the trailer when in motion.

That small opening creates a slight vacuum, and will actually keep the trailer cooler, especially in the summer months.

Andy

Old 04-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
There is no reason not to transit with the roof vents open 3-4 inches. They will be fine.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post

Thanks,
Hmmm.. I would check for leaks around the toilet's pedestal. If there is even a slight leak, well, you can figure the rest out from here...
Old 04-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Yeah, what the others said. I've got Maxxair (?sp) covers on my vents, so I leave both vents open even when it's raining, and no water gets in, but stale air goes out. Makes it much nicer at the end of the day, unless it's very cold outside.

For the bathroom, I don't have any detectable smells, but I also do tend to leave the retractable roof vent open (unless it's raining, 'cause it does not have a Maxxair cover), so it vents pretty well ... so can't help you there very much.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Locust Grove , Virginia
Ditto what the two previous responders said. I only leave them open about an inch or so and only if there is no precip.

As to the bathroom odors, we have found that the commercial deodorizors that you can buy at any RV supply store and that you put down the commode work pretty well. Be sure that there is enough water in the black tank so that they dissolve. We generally travel with about 5 gallons in the black tank so that it sloshes around as we travel. We try to remember to drop a bag of ice cubes down the commode before we begin traveling. They tend to dislodge any solids as they get tossed around down there.
2010 TREK 2.3

Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks all. I appreciate the input. I was afraid to cause damage by leaving the roof vent open during transit. I guess it's OK if left open a little bit. I'll give that a try. I put in new vents last fall and would hate to cause damage to them. I've never tried the ice cube trick with the black tank. I see that quite often being used and may give it a try myself along with some deoderant.

Thanks again all. Your input is invaluable and always welcome

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Our airstream has a vent in the front that is covered with a hood that opens to the rear. I leave the vent open and it keeps the trailer fairly cool when we travel. I leave the bathroom fan vent open. If it drips rain it is over the shower anyway. You could go to Camper world and install one of the maxi-vent covers. Not too expensive and they hook to the vent instead of the roof so it should not leak. about 40 bucks, I think.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Roof Vent

When running with the roof vent open it tends to rattle and will eventually wear the mechanical linkage. Probably take a long time to show significant wear.
The problem I had on the Clipper was when the BH decided we needed to change camp spots and I backed under a tree with the rear vent open, and broke the vent.
Never - never move your unit without a basic check for security and clearance.
Dave
Old 04-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
According to Fantastic Fan, you should run with the vent covers full open. That way, they do not rattle and wear the mechanism.

Before putting hoods on my vents, I ran with them full open for years with no problems. I have the rain sensors and they close up on the first hint of rain. I run with the front fan blowing in at low setting and the rear fan blowing out at low setting. The trailer stays fairly cool.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
2012 27' FB International
Ft Myers , Florida
Keep in mind too that if the P-traps dry out, there's nothing to prevent odors from entering. A couple cups of water down each drain is usually enough but it can evaporate fairly quickly.

2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote