Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Cool Kayaking Lake Powell

Has anyone done a kayak trip in Lake Powell? Did you use a houseboat as a base? We're trying to decide whether to join an outfitter trip or do it ourselves via a houseboat? We're thinking of doing this next year in September? If anyone is interested we would consider putting together a small group. We would drive out and drop the Airstream at a local campground while on Lake Powell, rent a houseboat or use local outfitter. Any input would be appreciated.

knunut
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
Having the same thoughts

I'm also considering a kayak trip on Powell soon. Since I live in Prescott I think the Airstream will stay home for the trip.

There's a lot of regulations for Powell, so I'd suggest looking into them before you get there. Chem toilets for boats are necessary if you overnight. They don't fit very well in a kayak, so I'm pondering options.

I'll keep an eye on this thread. An Airstream kayak trip would be fun. Personally I'd rather go self guided than with a tour, but gotta get all the rules in my head first.

Let me know if you decide to do the trip. I might be on board!
WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Quote:
Originally Posted by knunut View Post
Has anyone done a kayak trip in Lake Powell? Did you use a houseboat as a base? We're trying to decide whether to join an outfitter trip or do it ourselves via a houseboat? We're thinking of doing this next year in September? If anyone is interested we would consider putting together a small group. We would drive out and drop the Airstream at a local campground while on Lake Powell, rent a houseboat or use local outfitter. Any input would be appreciated.
knunut
If you check on Houseboat rentals, you may find Sept. prices are cheaper than mid summer. Using a houseboat would make the event a lot more comfortable with ice boxes, tables, chairs, beds, etc. Explore the side tributaries as far as the houseboat can go, run it up on a sandbar, set the anchor then unload the kayak.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
My vote is for houseboats

My family has done Lake Powell twice. Both times on a houseboat. What a wonderful vacation! My only extra bit of guidance in the planning stages is to go in at Waweep. Halls Crossing/Bullfrog is a very hard drive and would really be a challenge with a trailer. The distance is about the same to Rainbow bridge and Dangling Rope Marina from either up-lake or down-lake from Waweep or Halls Crossing.

Randy
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Keep me informed! I'm just about to finish a Pygmy kit and have been thinking about doing Lake Powell. I've been doing many photo trips in the area, but never been out on the water.

Zep
Old 08-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
We have camped on the north shore of Powell and gone out in our kayak from a base camp along the shores.. It was both a camping and boating trip.. We were with friends who had a motor boat as well, and they would take us out and drop us off and we would then paddle back to camp..

It was all dry camping, and a ton of fun.. Just gotta watch out for those windy days...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Interested in the info of the thread for future plans (someday). It sounds like a good idea about doing the houseboat and taking along your little boat for side trips.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Kayak lake Powell

We are gathering info. I like the house boat idea. That and 6 Kayaks. Sept.or May. After Powell we will go to Moab for back road Adventures? Will post info. We are planning for 2010. Thank's for the feedback.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Kayak camping at Lake Powell

SilverGate
Fans of Airstream Basecamp
(2017 Airstream Basecamp can carry two kayaks inside!)
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:55 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
McKinney , Texas
We used to live in Vail, CO so trips to Powell were a regular occurrence. With the exception of two times we always rented a houseboat. It's absolutely the best way to go. The hb allows you to go off the beaten path and find really nice narrow passages. Just don't go too narrow with the kayak unless you don't mind jumping out and flipping it around. We'd do passages, on jet skis, and we could touch both sides of the canyon. Because we were coming from Colorado we always went to Bullfrog for the houseboat. Not sure an outfitter really brings anything to the table. Powell makes it really easy to plan your own trip and the houseboats are really nice. We typically rented a 53ft boat so can't speak about smaller ones.
Stelear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:17 PM   #11
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Hmmm... maybe. We have a canoe that we take on a lot of trips around here in BC, ID, MT, WY: just out this morning on the Kootenay River. We have discussed trying the Colorado River on the flat portions near Moab as well as Lake Powell, but not seriously. We have paddled along with kayakers on a few occasions, and got on well. One thing about a canoe is that it has room for a lot of gear. We don't own a "pack it-in, pack it out" chemical toilet, but if somebody else did in the group, we should be able to carry it in the canoe, so keep us posted.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote