Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #1

1999 25' Safari
Northeast , Arkansas
Kayak truck rack

We have a Ford F-150 and a 25' Safari. We recently purchased 2 14' kayaks and are trying to figure out the best way to transport the kayaks on the truck with the trailer attached. After much research, we are still at a loss. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:08 PM   #2
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I can't speak to kayaks but we often travel with a canoe on the roof rack of our Tundra-- have you got a cap (canopy, topper) on the back of your truck so that the entire roof forms a straight line? We have a Yakima roof rack, sold to us by our canoe dealer. The brackets for the back bar did require some permanent installation on the cap over the truck bed, but now the truck with roof rack basically works the same as for a car. The canoe gets tied down with a lot of rope, then we have a bicycle lock on it to deter theft. The front mount on the car top carrier has its lock, as well.

We store our paddles and life jackets in the truck bed, which is also now nice and secure.

If you don't want the cap over the back of your truck bed, Yakima and some other companies also sell a sturdy square frame. that fits over your truck bed.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Depending on the overall length of your kayaks you might consider the Thule Hulavator. It will allow you to load from the sides. Not sure how much length you have on the roof of the truck to get reasonable separation between the units.

This 19 footer just clears on a right hand turn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Loadingthule.JPG
Views:	394
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	263545  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
We have an 4 inch elevated cap on our full box Chevy dually. A kayak or a canoe fit on the Yakima roof rack system which is mounted to the cap on the truck. They do offer an crossbar extension which allows you to extend the bars sideways and load from the back and slide forward. You then slide them over to the top of the cap. The extensions then telescope into the cross bars. The elevated cap allows for 42 inches of rear door clearance, so we can put full size bikes in without taking off the seats or wheels. The elevation also allows for the bow of the canoe to not hit the cab of the truck. It has worked for us for 13 years.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Maybe this will help. They carry two 14.5' kayaks on their Tundra.

http://www.watsonswander.com/2015/kayak-gear/
Old 06-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Springdale , Arkansas
No Stock solutions out there when we did this:

We had the same challenge with one caveat, we wanted a bed cover to be on to cover up anything stored in the bed itself. We could not find any "Stock" solution after much searching so we knew we would have to improvise. Three items needed for installation on the F150 without concern for a possible bed cover:

Trac Rac:
http://www.autoanything.com/truck-ra...truck-bed-rack

Basic Kayak J-Mounts/ cradles (Example Only, Cheaper on Ebay)
http://www.amazon.com/TMS-Pairs-J-Ba...ayak+holders+j

Extra "T" Bolts from Trac Rac, Two per j-mount to lock them down to the rack. (8 Total) Expensive

We assembled the J-Mounts then took them to a welder/machinist to cut and weld them to fit the top of the rail on the Trac Rac. We made it so they could be removed and other implements could be used on the Rac (Possible Bike holders). Mind you, this rack is for Painters that carry ladders and long items and such. No J-Mounts or Bike racks will fit them (that we could find) without modifications. The additional 8 T bolts and nuts are needed here as well.

The Rac's come with a lip that sits on the inside of the truck bed and C-Clamps are used to attach it to the truck. The Racs also adjust on top as well at the bed. so your safe with it fitting.

Separately
To get it to mount with a LowPro Bed cover installed. We had to have the machinist shave off the lip on the Trac Rac then bolted it directly to the truck bed. I got Auto Screw Covers for when the Rac is not on the truck.

We started off with a F150 and normal installation of the Trac Rac, Since then I moved up to the F250 and LowPro cover and made the additional mods. This was the quick answer. Let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0183 (1).jpg
Views:	422
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	263725   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0562.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	263726  

Name:	IMG_0569.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	263727   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0566.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	263728  

Retail6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:37 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Still shopping for kayaks in the 14-15' range, but I figured we'd find some on our current travels in the Pacific Northwest. In anticipation of this, I put a Thule Xporter on the bed of the F250. I did the math; it will accommodate up to 17' kayaks and still be be clear while towing the 27FB.

The Xporter is pricy, but it had a key feature that I needed - once I remove the kayaks, the rack is easily lowered so I can still fit the truck into the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:24 PM   #8
blackdog06

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Tuttle , Oklahoma
We travel with 14 and 16 foot kayaks and use a Yakima rack. They are sit-on-top and rest upside down on the rack. When the trailer is attached, we push them as far forward as possible and add foam cradles on the pickup roof.

This is the rack:
https://www.roadracks.com/product/ou...-300-fullsize/
Blackdog06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I just purchased a 2016 F150 Super Crew Lariat. I like to canoe and I went with the TracRac system. I don't know if you have a crew cab or not, but with the extra length of the roof with a crew cab you have more options. You can use a standard yakima or thule roof rack which attaches to the rain gutters. Unfortunately, my F150 does not have any track system on the roof and the roof rack would attach with a bracket that goes over the gasket on the door opening. It probably is not an issue, but over the long term it could be. However, this is probably the easiest solution to your kayak needs.

I went with the TracRack as it would also allow me to haul long lumber and ladders on occasion. However, as Retail6 noted, if you plan on installing a bed cover you may have to get creative if you want a rack over the bed. I too wanted a bed cover. My solution was to buy the TracRac with the rail system and a Retrax MX bed cover which Morrie at TonneauFactoryOutlet special ordered with cutouts for the stack pockets. As I would not need the rack 95% of the time I wanted it to be easily removed. While the kit comes with some rubber blocks which will hold the rack in place when tightened, removing the blocks and leveling the rails each time seems problematic. Therefore, I am in the process of cutting small metal foundations to be installed at each of the four stake pockets. These will stay in place and will be less than 1/4 of an inch above the bed rail. I will have a threaded hole in each one from which to hopefully easily attach and remove the rails. I would post a picture, but I am still in the process of fabricating the metal platforms.

Take Care, Lloyd
Lebthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:14 PM   #10
rbr
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Semora , North Carolina
We usually travel with a motorcycle in the bed, and then got a hobie cat which we carry on a ladder rack that I can take on and off the truck in about an hour. It is just the cheap one from HF, which I did cut down some to get it lower to the truck roof. I also drilled and pinned the longitudinal bars to increase rigidity, the stock clamp is really lame.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Boise , Idaho
I’m curious if anyone can tell me how much clearance is needed between the end of my truck cap mounted kayak and the Airstream to allow for maneuvering without contacting the trailer. I plan to test fit/tow with this tomorrow before a trip this weekend but any advice is appreciated. Truck is a Chevy Colorado with cab-high cap. Kayak is 12’. Thanks
Steve
Leilanisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You will do your testing on level ground.However any incline during a turn will shorten the clearance.
I have dented my trailer twice during a right turn with an incline so find such a turn and have someone watch before you hit the road.
HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #13
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail6 View Post
We had the same challenge with one caveat, we wanted a bed cover to be on to cover up anything stored in the bed itself. We could not find any "Stock" solution after much searching so we knew we would have to improvise. Three items needed for installation on the F150 without concern for a possible bed cover:

Trac Rac:
http://www.autoanything.com/truck-ra...truck-bed-rack

Basic Kayak J-Mounts/ cradles (Example Only, Cheaper on Ebay)
http://www.amazon.com/TMS-Pairs-J-Ba...ayak+holders+j

Extra "T" Bolts from Trac Rac, Two per j-mount to lock them down to the rack. (8 Total) Expensive

We assembled the J-Mounts then took them to a welder/machinist to cut and weld them to fit the top of the rail on the Trac Rac. We made it so they could be removed and other implements could be used on the Rac (Possible Bike holders). Mind you, this rack is for Painters that carry ladders and long items and such. No J-Mounts or Bike racks will fit them (that we could find) without modifications. The additional 8 T bolts and nuts are needed here as well.

The Rac's come with a lip that sits on the inside of the truck bed and C-Clamps are used to attach it to the truck. The Racs also adjust on top as well at the bed. so your safe with it fitting.

Separately
To get it to mount with a LowPro Bed cover installed. We had to have the machinist shave off the lip on the Trac Rac then bolted it directly to the truck bed. I got Auto Screw Covers for when the Rac is not on the truck.

We started off with a F150 and normal installation of the Trac Rac, Since then I moved up to the F250 and LowPro cover and made the additional mods. This was the quick answer. Let me know if you have any questions.

The only rack I'm aware of that you can use with a tonneau is the "Adarac"...
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Kayak truck rack

Name:	IMG_5109.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	314568
Truck rack from SpingCreek Outfitters in MN.Works great for our Hobies.Has built in loading bar.

https://www.springcreek.com/
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:38 AM   #15
D44
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lawn Guyland , New York
I used the TracRac SR and the BakFlip MX4 tonneau. The TracRac SR is a sliding rack and the channels mount on the gunwales of the bed and the BakFlip fits inside. I do have to put both racks on the outer channel so the BakFlip will open and close without interference. I found that Malone folding racks and their T bolts work well for the kayaks.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1529.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	314596
Old 06-20-2018, 04:40 AM   #16
D44
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lawn Guyland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by d44 View Post
i used the tracrac sr and the bakflip mx4 tonneau. The tracrac sr is a sliding rack and the channels mount on the gunwales of the bed and the bakflip fits inside. I do have to put both racks on the outer channel so the bakflip will open and close without interference. I found that malone folding racks and their t bolts work well for the kayaks.Attachment 314596

Name:	IMG_1531.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	482.5 KB
ID:	314597
Old 06-20-2018, 07:33 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Las Vegas , Nevada
Thule's has different styles of Kayak racks. Check out their online catalogue.
Roulette99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:44 AM   #18
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamale View Post
We have a Ford F-150 and a 25' Safari. We recently purchased 2 14' kayaks and are trying to figure out the best way to transport the kayaks on the truck with the trailer attached. After much research, we are still at a loss. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
We use cargo racks. Four posts that go on each corner of the pickup bed, and two cross members, one front and one rear. They hold the kayak up high enough it’s well above the cab of the truck. We keep them far enough forward, that there’s no chance of touching the trailer. I run a single strap to the front bumper. I don’t think it’s necessary, because the straps over the kayak seem to be enough, but a little overkill doesn’t hurt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B046180D-A2C4-43D9-B79D-8A5150D10E22.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	500.0 KB
ID:	314605   Click image for larger version

Name:	127CCF59-DAF8-4254-8B8F-8496708BA384.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	314606  

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by D44 View Post

D44: Looking at your side view picture the tip of your kayaks seem close to the trailer. Do you happen to know the spacing distance? Do you have any clearance problems when maneuvering? Getting my yak on top of my truck bed cap into the j cradles is a pain but I can live with that. I can’t live with potential clearance issues that could cause damage to everything attached.
Leilanisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
I use Thule roof racks on the F250. Both kayaks or canoe balance nicely. This leaves the truck bed free for bikes. The setup has no potential conflict with the trailer.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote