Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2015, 07:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Durham , North Carolina
Kansas City Steak & CG

On our way back to NC from "Out West", we would like to have a steak in Kansas City.......and a nice CG to stay in while there.

Any/all suggestions appreciated!!

Many thanks!!
Old 09-23-2015, 08:58 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Most of the old-timey steakhouses downtown are gone, except for the Golden Ox near the Kemper Arena.
There is a newer Hereford House in Leawood that's nice too right by I-435 and Roe Ave. Exit.
If you haven't tried the BBQ, it's quite good as well.
As far as CG, i have stayed at Trailside RV. Reasonable and nice people.
mrfrank9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:19 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
The only CG in KC it's self is Worlds of Fun. It's only open till November 1st. As far as a nice steak place there's Hereford House in indenpendence mo off I-70 and Little Blue Pkwy. We are also known for are great BBQ. World famous BBQ. In fact next weekend at Arrowhead parking lot is the American Royal BBQ contest which is the king of all BBQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:03 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Olatje , Kansas
801 Chophouse is a great option, but it is not cheap. I normally don't go there unless I get to expense it..

BBQ wise, Joe's Kansas City BBQ is IMHO the best I've ever had. There are a ton of great options, but I always land back at Joe's!
joekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:39 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Unfortunately the Golden Ox has permanently closed. You might check out Rutlader Outpost RV Park,https://www.rutladeroutpost.com/rutlader-rv-park.html which is about 30 minutes south of KC. It is not on an interstate, and it is in a rural area. We camp near there, on our own property, we like the area. A State Park and lake are very close to Rutlader. (It is close to Highway 69, which is not that noisy.) The best and most expensive steaks are at The Capital Grille, which is not very close to Rutlader, but worth the drive. Or there is also a Hereford House about 35 minutes from Rutlader, good, but not the very best, IMO.
The Capital Grille | Fine Dining Restaurant & Steakhouse
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Weatherby Lake , Missouri
The Weston Bend State Park on the MO side of the river and just North of KCMO is an absolutely beautiful park. Costs around $25 a night, has two great dog exercise areas, hiking trails, a scenic view of the river, and picnic tables and fire rings at each site (firewood bundles are $4 delivered by camp host). The small historic town of Weston is a two mile walk down the trail and is a very nice small town with a couple of interesting restaurants and a great Irish pub.

I doubt that you will be able to reserve a weekend at this point in the season as you can book online and most of the spots for the weekends get reserved far in advance. Staying during the week should not be an issue and I believe that they have one or two non-reservable spots on a first come, first served basis. I will attempt to include a photo of our campsite from a recent trip.

I also recommend checking out some KC BBQ. I lived in NC for 9 years and loved the BBQ there but KC is truly something special. As a NC guy I would recommend ordering the sauce on the side as it was very different than the NC variety. View the menu in advance as the "pace" at the order counter can be overwhelming if you are not prepared in advance.

Best of luck and safe travels.
SemperBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Agree that Weston Bend State Park is very nice.

Very clean restrooms, and the lovely town of Weston is a short drive or hike away if you want to dine out or have a snack or cocktail.

If making it into the KC metro, be advised that there is a good bit of highway road construction going on, especially in Kansas in the south west part of the metro.

If you do venture into town there is a Joe's BBQ (formerly called Oklahoma Joe's) at 119th and Roe that is in a nice part of town, very close to the highway, and has a grocery store etc, in the parking area and could likely park your TV and AS fine. If full, there is a large shopping center across the street with lots of parking. Closed on Sunday.

As to steak, we usually grill at home. But you will find great steaks on the menu at just about any "real" restaurant. The best steaks in town are purchased at McGonigles Grocery and Meats at 79th and Ward Parkway. Great neighborhood, but not close to the highway and would not advise pulling the AS there.

The town of Weston has several good restaurant. There is also a they have a beer brewery, McCormick distillery, and a very nice Irish shop (Celtic Ranch) and shops with Polish pottery.

Enjoy!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:49 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Durham , North Carolina
Thanks to everyone for all the great advice......and BBQ too!!
We may have to extend our stay a bit!!!