Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Are They Still on the Road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
As I sit typing this at a Park in Steamboat Springs on the Yampa river, I'm looking at a piece of crap converted Bluebird school bus, complete with trustafarians with pit bulls. While I have issues with RV age restrictions, they do not trump my belief in private property rights.
Seems like I parked next to them in 1977 at an RV park in Boulder.
The pit bull bitch had a litter of puppies under the bus (not that there's anything wrong with that), and at night the trustafarians smoked pot around the campfire (not that there's anything wrong with that) and fired pistols into the air (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
As I sit typing this at a Park in Steamboat Springs on the Yampa river, I'm looking at a piece of crap converted Bluebird school bus, complete with trustafarians with pit bulls. While I have issues with RV age restrictions, they do not trump my belief in private property rights.
I'm with you Dennis! What someone decides with their private property is their choice. The very first trip we took we came across this situation in UTAH. I did send them pictures of our restored AS and they waived the ban but if they hadn't it would have been fine with me.
911Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
When you phoned them, did you tell them it's an Airstream?

You will be surprised how that can change the mind at the other end of the phone line...
Totally agree!

We called a KOA midway between CT and TN to reserve an overnight stop (not even unhitching) to hit the road immediately the next morning. When she asked me what I had and I said "Airstream" - she literally said, "I will do anything to have an Airstream stay here!" :-)

Ours isn't close to 10 yet so wouldn't be a problem but folks really do seem to love to have Airstreams in their parks...
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Let's see...our Airstream was originally built in 1956...but we call it a 2010 as that is when it was re-built if we are stuck with a place like that. Besides, nobody really believes us when we say it's a '56 anyways ~

Generally, we try really, really hard to avoid those snobby places in the first place.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
Thanks for all the valuable input. We are going to travel and stay somewhere else...
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Crabby 1
I live close by and could check places out for you if you have any questions. In this case its not a snobby thing they may be trying to clean up and have drawn a hard line at age of trailer. I don't wish to disparage so feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
Thanks but we already decided on a different trip. We just wanted something easy for our first trek but also fun and interesting. We decided on Rancho Oso Guest Ranch and Resort
It is only 2 hours away, no crazy hills and full hook ups. We will be horseback riding this weekend!
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
The only outward difference from my '99 and a 2011 (the last time 34's were built) is the pinstripe and the name badge. So my '99 became an '11 when the time came. Some day I'll remove the big blue pinstripe and update it again .
Old 10-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbey1 View Post
Yes, I said Airstream, although it is an Argosy. She still recommended other parks for us...
Call her back and tell her to suck it. I have no time or patience for the ultimately ignorant.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Hey Crabby
Forget that place. Find a nice backcountry site for with some privacy and where you can see the stars at night.
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #31

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I think it's funny that people who are all about "private property rights" don't like people talking about RV park owners who reject our older trailers out of hand. My money is my private property, and I have the right to avoid giving it to people I think are stuck up and narrow minded, and we have the right to voice out opinion (pro or con) on the topic. No one in any thread I've read on the topic is proposing forcing these parks to accept 11-year-old trailers. Frankly, if my trailers were 2005 and 2006 instead of 1975 and 1976, I would still prefer not to spend my money at such places.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yes, Angel Fire Resort is currently building one of the RV resorts here in Angel Fire. Some of our friends here fear that we'll be run out of business. And, to be fair, the resort does have a track record for running competition out of the area. However, we feel that it'll actually benefit us. Their strategy, as much as we can gather at this stage, is to offer superior, first-rate amenities, but at a steep price (investment over $16 million dictates this), but not to admit only late-model rigs. So the strategy, again as far as we know now, is simply to charge a bunch. Necessarily, they'll have to advertise a bunch, too, and that advertising will then be the benefit for us.

Lynn
Old 10-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #33

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipKS View Post
The only outward difference from my '99 and a 2011 (the last time 34's were built) is the pinstripe and the name badge. So my '99 became an '11 when the time came. Some day I'll remove the big blue pinstripe and update it again .
This is a testament to bringing an Airstream to current looks. Here's an Airstream that prior to rehab had a severe case of pealing clear coat and the horrific Fleur de Lis graphics that Airstream used on the 34' trailers in the 90's. I think this was a 97. I knew the owner and the before and after pictures are unbelievable. He took it to P&S which polished out the trailer. The cost of the replacement graphics in the vintage mode were out of site. I convinced him to go with the current graphics. The only thing that gives away the age of this unit is the wheels. Sadly I heard that the trailer a few years ago was in a terrible hail storm. I don't know if it is on the road anymore. This was a picture of his first trip out in a Missouri campground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002_2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	539.2 KB
ID:	196971  
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #34

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Yes, Angel Fire Resort is currently building one of the RV resorts here in Angel Fire. Some of our friends here fear that we'll be run out of business. And, to be fair, the resort does have a track record for running competition out of the area. However, we feel that it'll actually benefit us. Their strategy, as much as we can gather at this stage, is to offer superior, first-rate amenities, but at a steep price (investment over $16 million dictates this), but not to admit only late-model rigs. So the strategy, again as far as we know now, is simply to charge a bunch. Necessarily, they'll have to advertise a bunch, too, and that advertising will then be the benefit for us.

Lynn
Who among us would go to Angel Fire and not stay at your campground anyway? I haven't made it there yet, but I regularly check the weather there from mid-July until the end of September while it ranges from "uncomfortable" to "did I really live through this last year?" here in TX. If my partner's work were as portable as mine I'd be there shortly after the first day the low temp in Texas failed to get down below 70.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3141.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	196973  

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Smiles!

I inadvertently edited your message, David, by adding my picture of the rally here. Duh! ANyway, I just said goodbye to some of the last Airstreamers who were here for the DenCo rally! It's generally our last fling of the season and a lot of fun (and even more and more and more food!) ...

Lynn
Old 10-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #36
Full Time Alumaloafer

1966 24' Tradewind
Livingston , Texas
As a fulltimer and workcamper trying to prioritize a limited budget as my wife and I rehab our '66, I feel the frustration. Though I understand the need for campground owners to avoid having a dilapidated trailer on premises when catering to a certain clientele, I also understand that there are many folks struggling to find the resources to fix cosmetic problems.

Fortunately, I have found most campers to be very understanding and even appreciative of the work done on our '66 even though the exterior remains unpolished and with blemishes.

It is too bad some campgrounds have inflexible rules that exclude older rigs no matter the condition. This does not make a lot of sense to me. It's a free country, though, and if it makes sense to that business owner, so be it.

Phillipians 4:13
louaxtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
Let's see. How would it be to return to the days when the owner of private property, being advertised for use by the general public, refused access to certain persons based on religion, race or more recently sexual orientation?h What do you think?
WBCCI #31443

"Don't follow me.
I've spent my life leading folks astray."
Will_Brule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_Brule View Post
Let's see. How would it be to return to the days when the owner of private property, being advertised for use by the general public, refused access to certain persons based on religion, race or more recently sexual orientation?h What do you think?
You've taken this thread way out into left field. There's a big difference between the commerace clause and private property rights. To compare an inanimate object and and civil rights laws is a real stretch.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
Thanks for you perspective. You are obviously more experienced in the areas of commerce clauses, private property rights, inanimate objects and civil rights law than I am. I guess I was just thinking about the feelings of those people who drag those inanimate objects around the country.
WBCCI #31443

"Don't follow me.
I've spent my life leading folks astray."
Will_Brule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We find those campgrounds that automatically, sight-unseen, screen out older RV's more than a little snobbish and narrow minded. There don't really seem to be that many of them, though, in our experience.

However.......if you have ever taken a site in a campground, then pulled in to set up and found yourself surrounded by aged, tarped and mold-covered RV's......you would agree there can be cause for concern.

We have been in a few of these in 10+ years, an unintended consequence of our general preference for day-by-day planning. Most recently, an Encore RV Resort, of all places. That charged an extra "resort fee".

Some campground standards seem unreasonably high, others seem to have none.

When we draw a a bad one, we close the blinds and move on early the next morning.

Maggie