Old 09-27-2008, 11:47 AM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Just back from Ashland, Oregon

We just returned from our fall trip to Ashland Oregon to see the plays. We've been doing this for 5 years now, and it's the main reason we own the trailer, though the trips in between are great fun too. We just couldn't afford to make this trip twice a year if we had to stay in a hotel when we got there.

As usual, we were presented with a few challenges. For the first time in a long time I made a meal plan and packed fresh food to cook so we wouldn't waste money eating out. That worked well. We picked up a little crockpot, and I got dinner cooking in the morning, so by the time we got home from the matinee dinner was waiting for us. That was nice! I did a chicken and rice thing that got a bit overcooked and the rice fell apart, but it still tasted good. I also did a stewmeat, mushrooms, onions with gravy, and then made fresh mashed potatoes to go with it, and that was really good. I think that was our most successful meal-planning and 'cooking in the trailer' experience ever!

The fridge worked great, in fact it worked too well and froze our veggies! But it also stayed cool for the entire 6 hour trip home so when I got back all the cold stuff leftover in the fridge could go right back in the house.

Had a little toidy trouble We ran out of one-ply (a mouse chewed it all up and I discovered it right before we left), so I substituted a roll of 2 ply from the house. In addition we had a bit of a water shortage because I forgot to bring the fresh water hose, and I hadn't refilled the tank after the trip the week before. So two ply TP combined with being too frugal with the water = clog city! So we added a lot of water and the next morning were able to flush it right through (so to speak). On the way home we did the 'ice cubes in the black tank' trick to really scrub it clean. What would a trip be without some sort of fuss over the black tank?

And we set out mouse traps, but we never did find the mouse that chewed up the TP. I crawled all over and never found any trace of the TP he stole, and he never chewed into anything else, even though there was bread in the drawer and other boxed goods. Hopefully he's gone. I think we'll leave the traps down just in case.

As we were packing up another camper on the level below us came out of her 'white box' to ask a bunch of questions about the trailer. She said she wanted one too - well, who wouldn't Since we came home on a Friday we saw lots of trailers heading out for the weekend, particularly lots of BIG motorhomes. We also saw about five AS, some new, some vintage. Usually we're lucky if we see ONE, I'm surprised so many were out so late in the season.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
TAC OR-7

2008 22' Safari
springfield , oregon
Where did you stay? Hubby & I went in August to see some plays, stayed at Valley of the Rogue State Park between Medford and Grants Pass... it was 108 degrees that weekend so I discovered my new favorite thing about our Airstream: AIR CONDITIONING

Old 09-27-2008, 04:45 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We always stay at The Point at Emigrant Lake. It's about three miles east of Ashland, so it's a quick drive home after a late play. Full hookups - water, sewer, electric, and nice showers for 50c. They recently upped the price to $26 a night. Beautiful view of the lake. It's a paved type campground, but the trees are getting bigger every year, so there's a little shade now. We always come off season so we don't bother with reservations and we've never got shut out.

There is also a private campground, I think it's called Glenyan, right across the street from the entrance to Emigrant Lake. It is wooded and appears to be well managed. I've talked to several people who like it and stay there every time they come to town.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote