Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Texas
June '18 Travel suggestions from Reno NV to No Cal

On our way to International Rally in June, want to see the Redwoods, staying around Trinidad. We are going across NV on Hwy 50 to Reno, so need advise traveling from Reno. Would it be better to cross CA from Reno NV, north on 395 then west on Hwy 44 to Redding, then 299 to Arcata...which looks pretty mountainous...OR take Hwy 36 across? Also, any campground recommendations along that route would be welcome. Also, advise on traveling north from Trinidad...is 101 ok to pull a trailer on up to OR? It seems I heard it was in very bad condition and not great for towing.

Thanks in advance,
Debi & Jim
okiedebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I've found the roads through the Redwoods some of the hairiest I’ve ever been on with the Airstream. Either 44 or 36 should be a piece of cake by comparison. I've been on 101 to Oregon several times in the last year, and haven't noticed any particular problem, unless something has happened recently. If I decide to go back to the Redwoods, I will probably camp at one of the places on 101 and use my truck to explore the Redwoods.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Texas
Thanks McDave!
No, I wouldn’t plan to be pulling the trailer through the Redwoods! Just a side trip while staying near Trinidad.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:50 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Mono City , California
We have traveled 44 and 299 to 101 and had no problems towing our 28 footer, some hills and curves, nothing that bad. We have traveled 101 north to Oregon many times with no problems. Some places to stay along the way. Take Hwy 50alt west of Fallon NV north west to Hwy 80 then west on 80. In Sparks NV the Sparks Marina RV Park is very nice. In Susanville Ca the Susanville RV Park is very nice. Arcata CA the Mad River Rapids RV Park. Klamath CA, we love the Klamath River RV Park. Sites are grass and great views of the Klamath River. Have a great trip and safe travels.
TBSarfari28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:28 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Davis , California
Highway 36 was designed to make drivers go absolutely insane, they succeeded. Do not take that highway unless you have a death wish...
4taxabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
We have pulled our 25’ all over northern Cal and though the Redwoods, Highway 1, 101, Just don’t get in a rush. Not let the other drivers get to you. You will love the Redwood National Park. Lots of camp grounds to hang out in.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:36 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Texas
Thanks for your input, I feel better now on our decision!
Guess I will need to research the campgrounds in Redwood NP. Thanks!
Debi
Old 02-27-2018, 12:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
From Reno through Northern Cal and So Oregon

The trip on 395 from Reno to Susanville is okay, it isn't a long drive and will only take a few hours, but it isn't the most interesting road in my opinion. If you want really scenic I would suggest you consider going out of Reno on 395 to 70 west to Graeagle and then up 89 north. It is a nice 2 lane road and it is through beautiful forests. You will go past Lake Almanor and it is a great place to camp, several choices there. When you travel in June you likely can then drive 89 through Lassen National Park.... it won't be a fast trip, but if you have the time, camp there, lots to see and do. The road can be closed until July if there is a lot of snow, but this year has been light precip so my guess it will be open. From there follow 89 all the way to I-5. Near the small cute town of McCloud are some great NFS campgrounds: CattleCamp is one with nice flat camping spots. You can then hike the trails to the McCloud falls. Lovely place! It is often busy in the summer months ~ a local favorite!

To cross to the coast your options are somewhat limited. The road from Redding (Hwy 44) you would take 299... it is a neat route, but very slow mostly lots of turns and no services to speak of. It is a long (time wise) drive from Redding to the coast.... maybe 6 hours or more depending on traffic, weather, etc. You can also go north on I-5 to just past Yreka and take Hwy 96 to the coast, but that is a all day trip! Most of it is very nice, but no services either, and in most of these areas no cell service either.

If you want a faster route to the Redwoods, I would suggest charge up I-5 to Grants Pass and go 199 West. You will nearly end at the Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park. If you go in June, get reservations anywhere on the coast.... it can be very difficult to obtain a spot without them. It may seem counter intuitive to go as far as Grants Pass, but in essence it is likely a faster route. From Redding to Grants Pass about 3 hours, from Grants Pass to the coast another 2 hours. Good roads all the way. Some mountains to pull, but anyway you go will be mountains. If you want a fresh start after Grants Pass, stay at the Valley of the Rogue State Park, it is nice. Then you will only be 2 hours from the redwoods.

I don't know if you are heading up the Oregon Coast or what your plans are following the Redwoods, but along the coast there are few places to find a campsite without a reservation. However, at Cape Blanco State Park just out of Port Orford on the beach is a great campground and it is first come, first served. Can be windy there, but a delightful lighthouse to tour and a historic farm homestead, access to the beach, etc.

Hope you have a great trip! The redwoods are awesome!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:30 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Texas
Wow, CaddyGrn, thanks for the detailed suggestion! I will check these out!