Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2016, 07:24 AM   #1
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Joshua Tree advice

We want to visit Joshua Tree NP, will be there in January. We wanted advice on which campground we should try and get into? We will be pulling our 30' Classic so please consider that with you recommendations, we have been reading and some talk about some tight and small spots. Any and all advice welcome
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
We want to visit Joshua Tree NP, will be there in January. We wanted advice on which campground we should try and get into? We will be pulling our 30' Classic so please consider that with you recommendations, we have been reading and some talk about some tight and small spots. Any and all advice welcome
As I recall there are 3 campgrounds: Indian Cove, Jumbo Rocks and Black Rock. We stayed in the furthest west, I believe Black Rock. I don't really have any complaints but it is somewhat isolated from the main body of the park. You would not have any problem with your Classic fitting. My cousin stayed in Indian Cove which has a lot of cool campsites nestled into niches in the rock, some are smallish though. No experience camping at Jumbo Rocks, but it appears to be exactly what the name says. No hookups in the park.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:57 PM   #3
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We stayed at the Black Rock campground a few years ago, because it (a) had water in the CG and (b) took advance reservations. We didn't want to drive a long way to get there only to have no place to stay in the park. Although we had the 16' Bambi, there was space in our site for a much longer RV and we had a monster SOB in the site next to us.

Their reservation service will generally ensure that you don't get a site too small for your needs.

There were hiking trails within walking distance, an added advantage.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Jumbo Rocks is pretty tight but they have pull over sites. The issue would be getting turned around to get back out. It can get really tight in there when there are a lot of people there. It's worth it though, nice campground.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

We stayed at Jumbo Rocks. There are sites for larger rigs but you need to get there early to get them. We got there at 10 am and were able to find a spot. The previous poster is right. You need to be able to be comfortable maneuvering turn arounds.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
In my rockclimbing days, I used to head for Joshua Tree every January, since J Tree's best rockclimbing season corresponds with the Sierra's worst. Don't overlook the dry campsites, as they are in some of the most beautiful locations in J Tree, and you have plenty of capacity in your AS to last a few days without outside water or sewer. Even though January is high season in J Tree, I can almost guarantee you that you can score a dry campsite for your 30 footer without a reservation if you arrive there Mon-Thurs. Maybe not at Hidden Valley, although you definitely should check that out first, but somewhere with a great view.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Yamhill , Oregon
We were there last year in January. We stayed outside the park in 29 Palms. The RV park there had full services, and it is only about 2 miles to the Park entrance.
Rob Edgerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:27 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
San Diego and Julian , California
We are leaving for Joshua Tree tomorrow night for an annual Pumpkin Camping weekend. This will be our 5th trip. I have stayed in all three campgrounds, and for your 30', strongly think about Indian Cove. There are many sites to accommodate your rig, pretty scenery right outside your door, and some nice trails. Be sure to get a reservation. Try for site 21 or 22 because the rock formations are wonderful. This is boondocking so come prepared.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:44 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
So the question is, my trailer is a 23 and my truck is a crew cab 6.5 bed so combined hitched length is over 40 '. I keep seeing 35 max but pictures of the park suggest that setup isn't a problem. What CG's would work. Planning a mid week arrival to get a non reserved site. Also, would want to spend some time with family in Yucca Valley.
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:54 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
We stayed at the Black Rock CG for one night and had no problems, other than arriving after dark and not being able to locate our assigned site. This camp ground was adequate, but there are many more scenic CGs in the park. Perhaps someone else can guide you to their favorite site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0952.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	369.7 KB
ID:	277951  
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaLee View Post
So the question is, my trailer is a 23 and my truck is a crew cab 6.5 bed so combined hitched length is over 40 '. I keep seeing 35 max but pictures of the park suggest that setup isn't a problem. What CG's would work. Planning a mid week arrival to get a non reserved site. Also, would want to spend some time with family in Yucca Valley.

We have the same length trailer and truck you do, combined length about 43'. We camped at Jumbo Rocks campground in December. Very beautiful place, and there are many campsites long enough to accommodate us. I don't imagine you would have any problem finding one if you show up mid week. The ones that are long enough are all cut-outs along the road, which makes entry and exit easy. I don't think any of the back-in spots are long enough to fit. There are roads that don't loop, where you could end up trapped and having to back out, which could be hairy. I think they are all marked "no trailer access" or with a sign with a trailer crossed out, but all the sites where you would fit are on the main roads anyway.

McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:26 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Hanford , California
Well, this is a timely thread! We're thinking of heading to JT in our 25-foot Safari in January also!
StreaminGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Not for camping, but you should check out the Twentynine Palms Inn/Oasis of Mara -- maybe for happy hour or dinner.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:52 PM   #14
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We loved Black Rock campground. One unique advantage: easy access for fresh water fill-up and a dump station.

We toured Jumbo Rocks, but our trailer is longer (28') and it was clear to us that we would have had a tough time fitting there. For Jumbo, a shorter trailer (e.g. a 23 - 25) will be a much better fit.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:12 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
we stayed at Jumbo Rocks in November. There are not a lot of sites for long rigs but there are some. Our 31 Classic and truck wth a Henslut is 53.5 feet long, bumper to bumper as I had to measure it for a Ferry, and we fit in a great spot. Try to get there in the first part of the week. It fills up by Thursday night for the weekend. An awesome spot to stay!
Safe Travels
Pete
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:14 PM   #16
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Congratulations on finding such a spot at Jumbo! Had no idea. Would you mind sharing the campsite #?

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:22 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
Jubbo Rocks site 82

We were on site #82 which was a 'pull off' along the side of the road. A little busy with limited traffic but just a wonderful place to stay.
Go for it!
Pete
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
We stayed at Jumbo Rocks last year with our '28 International. No problem finding a spot to accommodate it. Most sites are "pull-offs", not my preference but it worked out fine.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #19
bambi-Lily

2016 19' International
encinitas , California
i know I missed your trip but wanted to comment for future trips. We have a 19 foot International and I highly recommend Belle Campground. It's boon docking and well worth it. It only has 18 sites and most are easy to pull into (see #8). Some don't require backing in. Because its more off the beaten path we didn't see large groups. Mainly couples. Super quiet and the rocks break the wind. Fewer neighbors means more breathing in the sound of the desert -like coyotes. There was a 25+ foot AS also at the site. Also didn't need to back in. We went mid week in mid February and here is the trick to getting a site. Don't worry what the park rangers say, when they say it's full. If starting at the north west end; Start at Black Rock and fill with water, if you haven't already. Go at 11 am. Drive to the site and look for people who are packing up and ask them if you can wait for their spot. Check out time is 12 so if you arrive after that, you might have more difficulty finding the best sites.
Jumbo rocks is very crowded. If you want neighbors, fine. We didn't. Black Rock is OK. Indian Cove is pretty nice and mainly for rock climbers. More space between sites there. we had an amazing 3 days and left via the south route so we could dump at Cottonwood. Easy and we got a change to see the ocotillos in bloom. Cholla garden is amazing when the sun is shining.
pegjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #20
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Joshua Tree question

We have a spot at Indian Cove, looks like we can get water at the Indian Cove Ranger station, where is the closest place to dump?
Thanks, we'll arrive there 1-17
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote