Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Johnnie Walker Red

This thread is for fellow travelers for whom 5 o'clock is more than just a number. It is the hour of the day by which I hope to be in camp, weighing down the Lafuma, and reflecting on the hard travails of the day that have brought me to that point.

Traveling through different states sometimes leads to wallet surprises (pleasant and otherwise) when I find the need to refill the liquor cabinet. For example, I live in a state in which the ABC stores are state owned and controlled. You can rightly guess that my libation of choice is pricey. Our neighbor Maryland does not defend its citizens against the evils of inexpensive Scotch and I stock up whenever I go there. I also learned that a MD Eastern Shore liquor store manager goes to Delaware. (Wish I had known that).

Anyway, I wonder if there are any volunteers out in the other states who will be kind enough to report in the prices for, say, a 1.75liter bottle of my fav.

As payment, I'll be glad to invite you to my evening relaxer if we are lucky enough to meet on the road. I'll even give up my Lafuma.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I don't know. I get Laphroaig unless money's tight, in which case I get Dewar's. I think the last bottle of Laphroaig was around $45. It's come down a lot now that it isn't trendy in Japan anymore.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Sorry, no 1.75

But I got 1 litre. $32.99
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
For what its worth:
If you ever get to Alaska, I found that the COSTCO stores in Anchorage, sell very large bottles (larger than 1.5 ltrs.) of almost every king of booze at prices well below anything I found in the lower 48. Whereas going and coming through Canada, all the beer, wine or whisky in Canadian stores are extremely expensive.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Pocono Mountains , Pennsylvania
$32.99 and no sales tax

Total Wine, located in Claymont Delaware, just off I-95 below the Pennsylvania border has your favorite for $32.99 and there is no sales tax at the register.

Total Wine & More - Claymont : Johnnie Walker Red Scotch Whiskey 1.75L

For wine drinkers they have an amazing selection of wines from all countries and in all price ranges.

I too live in a state where government monopolizes, I mean protects it's citizens by operating all liquor stores. Prices are high, selection limited and forget about friendly sales help.

But hey, if the government didn't control liquor, the next thing you know you would have public dancing on Sunday and all hell would break loose.

If you stop into Total Wine you might observe most of the license plates in the parking lot are from Pennsylvania; but that must just be coincidence because transportation of alcohol across state lines is clearly illegal.

Good shopping.
scotttho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Sin taxes in Canada are very high. Stock up before you come here.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
calgary , alberta
Hi From Canada!! The reason our beer is more is because it has achohol in it!!!! Jonathan
jhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenry View Post
Hi From Canada!! The reason our beer is more is because it has achohol in it!!!! Jonathan
Well, he does have a good point.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
In Oregon we also have state liquor stores. So we make our "gin" run to California Costco to save about $20 a bottle on the big 1.75 ltr. Thankfully we have family to visit while there. But it has been a big joke around here since the first year we went we bought 52 bottles of Bombay Sapphire Gin. Our biggest worry that year was someone would rearend us on the way home.. How would that look
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Sempi2...

We had good friends that would 'winter' each year below the border in San Carlos, MX...they always towed their boat and took two 5 gallon water bottles to carry their drinking water....

When it came time to return to Northern Calif, they would fill both 5 gallon jugs with 'Blanco' Ta-kill-ya - yes 10 whole gallons of that 'nectar'! They brought new shrink seals for the tops of the bottles so it would look like they hadn't been opened...this was for personal medicinal use only, of course...

Next time we're in your area, we'll be sure to bring the Tonic Water....

BTW: our local supermarket is selling Johnnie Walker Red, 1.75 Ltr for $32.99 this week...

Ray near Lodi
Old 02-12-2010, 04:12 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenry View Post
......and, in most cases, it's better!

For the best liquor prices in the country you'd be hard-pressed to beat New Hampshire. The 1.75 L Johnny Walker Red Label is around $30.00. My preference, JW Black Label is around $55.00. NH has State stores right there in the rest areas on many of the Interstates in the Granite State. Usually the majority of the cars in the store's parking area have Massachusetts plates. Massachusetts' liquor stores are called "package stores" or "pakees" by the locals since it is (or was) illegal to display the word "liquor" on the sign. "Pakees" are closed on Sunday except for those located within 10 miles of the NH state line.

Gotta love Massachusetts or you'd find it easy to dislike it very much.

MisterMike
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Sitting down?

Here in Ontario a 1.75 l bottle of your favourite libation costs $63.95.

THAT's why our beer has more alcohol in it. To drown our sorrows over constantly emptying our wallets buying alcohol, gas and paying the cell phone bills.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Colorado and Arizona are both around 32.99 for Johnny Walker red in volume liquor stores. (Applejack in Lakewood and Total Wine in Tucson and Phoenix). On sale prices go below $30.00.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #14
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Thanks, guys. It is $52.95 here in the Old Dominion. I remember (warmly) a store just south of the OR/CA border that confirms that, for all its other ills, CA will help a fellow have a civilized tot at a reasonable price.

I will use this info the next time we head across the country. I know not to stock up here (except for a reasonable supply) and then look for advice - hopefully before we reach CO. That's a pretty long haul.

Pat
Old 02-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Must have been in Weed. They have a real dilemma in Northern California...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Thanks, guys. It is $52.95 here in the Old Dominion. I remember (warmly) a store just south of the OR/CA border that confirms that, for all its other ills, CA will help a fellow have a civilized tot at a reasonable price.

I will use this info the next time we head across the country. I know not to stock up here (except for a reasonable supply) and then look for advice - hopefully before we reach CO. That's a pretty long haul.

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: bmp dilemma.bmp (197.8 KB, 75 views)
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge View Post
Sitting down?
THAT's why our beer has more alcohol in it. To drown our sorrows over constantly emptying our wallets buying alcohol, gas and paying the cell phone bills.
Don't forget the price of cigarettes. My bank account is so glad I no longer smoke!
Old 02-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

cork , munster
Hi lads, how you doing
Don't know about Johnny Walker, but a half decent bottle of Powers Gold or Jameson Irish whiskey would cost you about 35 euros = 40 - 45 USD give or take, and it definately has alcohol in it.
Good luck
Pete
irshmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #18
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Hiya, Pete -

I enjoy those fine Irish spirits whenever I feel a need for a special treat. Nice to hear from you.

Pat
Old 02-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #19
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
I have seen some comments online that the best Canadian whiskey is similar to the Irish whiskey but at a friendlier price at least for those of us who live in North America.

The most popular brand is Canadian Club although I prefer Wiser's.

Any other Canadian whiskey fans?
Old 02-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I'm not a JW fan but I do enjoy a bit of spirits on the rocks as most of you have shared.

My favorites:

If we are celebrating or if someone else is buying, Jameson.

If it is just a good weekend, Rebel Yell Bourbon. We can get 1.75 for about $28.

If it is a special bourbon night, 1792 works very nice thank you.

You guys are making me thirsty!
GCinSC is offline   Reply With Quote