Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Jackson, WY

We are planning a two week trip, and have never been to the Jackson Hole area. Anybody have any suggestions? for camping in the area? We don't mind dry camps, and like to fly fish. Thanks in advance!

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
The fam and I spent two months there last fall. We stayed at the Virginian RV Park in town. Nice place, full hook-ups, but not exactly surrounded by nature. I think there are plenty of places around for camping/boondocking, but others would know better than I.

But I can (and will) recommend places to eat. If you like Thai food, go to Teton Thai just off the main city square downtown. Great food. If you want to hang out with a bunch of fishing guides and talk about trout, spend an evening drinking at Cutty's (a.k.a. The Fine Spotted Cutthroat Bar).

On the fishing front, there's nothing quite like spending a day in a driftboat fishing the Snake River in Teton Park. Will Dornan's Snake River Angler has great guides (ask for Boots, Brandon, Stumpy or Craig), and they've got (I think) the best selection of flies in the area. Tell them I sent you and they'll probably charge you twenty percent more.

As far as specific fishing spots go, I'll shoot you a PM with information I'd rather not share with the larger group. I'm sure you understand.

--SM
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Gros Ventre is just between Jackson and Grand Teton. It's a nice campground with no hook ups. The immediate area is more open meadow then it is wooded but the campground has some trees as I recall. If you go into Grand Teton, Colter Bay is nicely forested and approx. 30 min. from Jackson. They have hook up sites but I prefer their dry camp sites.

Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Go to Teton National Park. The Tetons are amazing. Coulter Bay Campground. There are others outside of the Park. 31' is too long for Signal Mountain Campground Another might be on the other side of the mountain between Driggs ID and Grand Targee Resort area. Go explore!
OBPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
We stay a coulter bay the past two years. depending on your length and whether you want to use a generator they have a spot to just fit you... it's about $16 a night with no hook ups. But you can drive to 2 mins to coulter bay store and get a hot shower for $3.00 Or pay $55 a night for full hook up at the rv park there.

The campsites are wooded and large...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
I approve of this message

2006 28' International CCD
Redmond , Washington
+1 for Gros Ventre. We also stayed at the Virginian for a few nights to check out Jackson (rodeo, restaurants, etc.).

If you're not planning to overnight in Jackson, but want to check out the square, there is a dedicated RV & bus parking lot (free) right in downtown Jackson.

Here's a picture taken in a little public park in Jackson
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jackson Hole (77).jpg
Views:	145
Size:	439.2 KB
ID:	83307  
ostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
If anyone has pics or reviews of some of the above RV camp areas, I would love to see them in the campground review area. We are hoping to get to Wyoming sometime this fall and having some of the info posted to reviews will prod me when I get closer to making reservations. Thanks for the time and effort.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
Sierra Papa

2007 25' International CCD
Preston , Idaho
Look up the posts by "dumolebob' Bob is not so dumb, and know a lot about the JH area.

I usually camp at Gros Ventre, but if you do not need to run into town or the park (you want to stay put) he recommends a site above Gros Ventre that is fantastic.
Sierrapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post
If anyone has pics or reviews of some of the above RV camp areas, I would love to see them in the campground review area. We are hoping to get to Wyoming sometime this fall and having some of the info posted to reviews will prod me when I get closer to making reservations. Thanks for the time and effort.
Here's a shot of Gros Ventre where we stayed May/June '08. It was still too early for the trees to have leaves but you can get the idea. They only had 1 loop open since it was early in the season but it never filled up. some sites are only 10' - 15' deep, ours was long enough but the rear stabilizers were off the pad.
We had a couple with a 34' camp across from us so they can accomodate larger rigs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1819.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	309.1 KB
ID:	83410  
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote