Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
Jackson Center bypassed

We have been out East for a vegetable convention in Hershey, PA, then to New York City and Philly, To Gettysburg, and thought we would divert to Jackson Center for a tour of the factory. With only one tour at 2pm, and no other options, we just continued on our way towards Montana, as two nights delay just for the tour didn't fit in. We arrived at 4:45 pm on Wednesday, and were treated very, very, nice at the center. But, with only one tour at two pm, it meant we would have to spend tonight, then not be able to leave until late tomorrow to get back to Montana. I know I really missed out, and only wish there was accomodations to handle the infrequent traveler, but it is 2pm or nothing.
Just wanted to let others know 2pm is the tour, so plan accordingly.
Greg
LFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Where did you camp in New York? Did you tow in the city? Just curious...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Greg. Sorry if there were any misperceptions about that. A retired Airstream employee gives the tour once a day except by prior arrangment -- and those prior arrangements usually are just for groups. Three years ago, with the participants' consent, I latched onto a late morning church group from Lima, OH, special tour. I played it quiet and reserved since it was their tour. That was sheer luck. I hadn't checked out that option in advance.

Either way, I still gave up a day on arriving at my next travel stop in Wisconsin.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
At this time of year, there was no group to attach to, we asked.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
Where did you camp in New York? Did you tow in the city? Just curious...
Not towing at this time. Just a business trip for a convention, but wanted to see the factory. We took trains into New York from Philly.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
On the two occasions that we toured the plant, I was struck by how few staff were actually there and working on building TTs. Of course, both times, we took the tour, and Don gave 99.99% the same presentation each time.

But I could see how even though we were a relatively small group, we interrupted people assembling preparing parts as we wandered around among them, so I'm not surprised they only have one tour per day.

It sure is fun though!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I can't say enough good about the tour we took last October.

Don Amos has a lifetime of experience there, the genuine article, so much better than the casual trained docent of many tours. You do have the opportunity to mix with the workers and enter trailers in some stages of production.

Once-a-day tours are quite appropriate in this factory setting, realizing it may not work for all. Don't give up though, it's well worth going out of your way if you head east again.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
On the two occasions that we toured the plant, I was struck by how few staff were actually there and working on building TTs. Of course, both times, we took the tour, and Don gave 99.99% the same presentation each time.

But I could see how even though we were a relatively small group, we interrupted people assembling preparing parts as we wandered around among them, so I'm not surprised they only have one tour per day.

It sure is fun though!
Slightly off topic, but this seems to be the case with a lot of factory tours. After jumping up and down for two weeks beforehand in anticipation of the Boeing assembly plant tour in Everett, it was a bit of a let down. All I saw were a few Boeing souls wandering aimlessly around three or four aircraft in various stages of completion. The second tour was a "special one" for the airline and it was a bigger disappointment.

Shortly after the second tour, Boeing scored a huge wide-body order. So, it's the luck of the draw for the lookey-loos.

However, the Boeing guide was still fantastic and the film was interesting.

Hope to tour JC someday.