Old 05-07-2015, 07:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Not to be Debbie Downer but the following clip from a long Dept of STATE warning makes me think twice. I'd like to visit Mexico someday, but not sure how much I want to risk it alone. Maybe with a caravan. On their website they go into length about carjacking and strongly advise against standing out, exactly what the big shiny airstream does best.

Mexico Travel Warning
LAST UPDATED: MAY 5, 2015
The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens about the risk of traveling to certain places in Mexico due to threats to safety and security posed by organized criminal groups in the country. U.S. citizens have been the victims of violent crimes, such as kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery by organized criminal groups in various Mexican states. For information on security conditions in specific regions of Mexico, which can vary, travelers should reference the state-by-state assessments further below. This Travel Warning replaces the Travel Warning for Mexico, issued April 13, 2015, to update information about the security situation and to advise the public of additional restrictions on the travel of U.S. government (USG) personnel.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:04 PM   #16
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Not to be Debbie Downer but the following clip from a long Dept of STATE warning makes me think twice. I'd like to visit Mexico someday, but not sure how much I want to risk it alone. Maybe with a caravan. On their website they go into length about carjacking and strongly advise against standing out, exactly what the big shiny airstream does best.

Mexico Travel Warning
LAST UPDATED: MAY 5, 2015
The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens about the risk of traveling to certain places in Mexico due to threats to safety and security posed by organized criminal groups in the country. U.S. citizens have been the victims of violent crimes, such as kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery by organized criminal groups in various Mexican states. For information on security conditions in specific regions of Mexico, which can vary, travelers should reference the state-by-state assessments further below. This Travel Warning replaces the Travel Warning for Mexico, issued April 13, 2015, to update information about the security situation and to advise the public of additional restrictions on the travel of U.S. government (USG) personnel.
The previous is just a "clip", the same as the following clip from the same advisory states:

Millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico each year for study, tourism, and business, including more than 150,000 who cross the border every day. The Mexican government dedicates substantial resources to protect visitors to major tourist destinations, and there is no evidence that organized criminal groups have targeted U.S. visitors or residents based on their nationality. Resort areas and tourist destinations in Mexico generally do not see the levels of drug-related violence and crime that are reported in the border region or in areas along major trafficking routes.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:25 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Since many of us have posted about our fears and apprehensions of future mexico travel. How about we let some actual recent Mexico travelers focus on their positive experiences. That way the OP will be able to gather tips and (actual) advice and decide from there.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #18
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
I am of the opinion that the US Government has no clue what is going on in Mexico, just as they have no clue what is going on anywhere else in the world. I don't mean to sound political, and please do not infer that. There are lots of Americans and Canadians here and crime is really not a problem except for some minor theft. There are occasional stories...

I met a Canadian couple this past winter that the prior year had had their tow vehicle stolen at gunpoint. While it was a bad experience they were back this year for several months in the same place. I think that indicates the perspective that most of us have here.

Bad things happen everywhere, and Mexico is no exception. You need to just as vigilant here as you are in the states. I would rather be here than in a lot of cities in the states.

Do not let anyone scare you from coming here, the people, food, weather, and everything else are wonderful, and EVERYTHING is less expensive.

As just one example, I am staying in a campground in Baja with full hookups for $10 a night. My restaurant meals are in the seven to ten dollar range including beers...
Old 05-08-2015, 07:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
We've taken our Trade Wind to Rocky Point several times. Got a full hookup spot where you could hear the ocean all night for about $30. There's now a Sam's Club in Rocky Point, if that tells you anything about the level of civilization there. If you try to speak a little Spanish and smile, they're glad to help.

Keep in mind that the business liability laws in Mexico are very different. If you buy something spolied at the grocery store and get sick, well, you should have known better. If you trip on the broken sidewalk in front of the store, well, learn to walk, pendejo!!

It's the ultimate vision of "lawsuit reform."

But if you need propane, they don't check the expiration date on your tanks, either!
Old 05-08-2015, 09:18 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
For what it's worth, my opinion is that the biggest problem with the coastal regions of Mexico is sanitation. I've been there many times (the Baja, and East and West coasts) - not with a trailer though - and had a couple of scary issues. That said, I've had a couple of scarier issues in Washington DC and Los Angeles. I still go to DC and LA. Never in the US or Canada have I had a health issue due to sanitation standards, but I did have a few brushes with sanitation problems in Mexico, the last one put me in a hospital for 3 nights.
If you go to Mexico, or any other under-developed country, you have to be cautious about your health and your safety. It's part of the risk/reward thing.
I personally wouldn't take a trailer down to Mexico because with one you are tied to that anchor, and if something comes up you have to haul that anchor up before you can leave if something happens, and my experience is that something will happen.
That's my 2c and it's worth every penny
Old 05-09-2015, 07:17 AM   #21
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
I literally drink the water in most places, and have learned that a little clorox goes a long way.

And as to sanitation, yes there are issues, but none worse that what I have seen In Los Angeles. And in major tourist centers like Cabo San Lucas those issues were addressed years ago. (Of course I have been here a month and have driven into Cabo once, a forty five minute drive. One of the joys in Mexico is the smaller villages....) Here in Todos they are currently under grounding their utilities. Construction is not like American process, here it is being done with the occasional backhoe but more often with picks and shovels.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #22
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
One thing that Mexico has in common with Illinois is toll roads that are miserable to drive. Not always the case like Illinois, but even here the toll roads sometimes have you shaking your head, literally.

Gas is all Pemex, although a recent law is going to allow for branding in the coming years. The prices are controlled. For most travelers this is the place where they have the most exposure to crime, as some Pemex workers have all the scams to get your money. Fortunately most of them will make sure that you see the pump zeroed out before they start pumping. Always pay cash, and always count your change, a favorite trick is to short change you. That said, the issue is to always be aware of your surroundings.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:59 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Livingston , Texas
Check out the blog "Gingergoesglamping." I'm not sure it's still active, but the writer has made several trips to Mexico, the Yucatan in particular, with great success. Details many of his stops and strategies.

"It's a magical world, ol' buddy...Let's go exploring!" Calvin to Hobbs
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Had two of my posts deleted, I understand they were off topic. Jim
Old 05-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #25
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
avionstream