Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Cool , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
WHAT? The posted limit for trucks and vehicles towing trailers is a max of 55? That is true but the reality is that this is a joke. No one, including truck drivers go 55 and if they did they would be a danger to those around them.
Driving through Davis, CA one day on the way to the coast, husband driving in middle of three lanes doing low 60ish. A motorcycle CHP pulled up next to us on the left, flashed us the Five-Five symbol with his hand and pointed to the right lane. No ticket, but to say they ignore that law, or that trailer towers should ignore it, is incorrect.
KristiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 01:34 PM   #22
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Everyone is missing the point of the OP decision to run in the left lane. It's not about speed, it's about comfort and wear and tear on your rig.

My take on it would be that running in the left lane where traffic would allow you to do that would be just fine as long as you're running at flow of traffic speed and not any less. If you find a vehicle coming up on you fast, pull over as quickly as possible to let them pass. I for one do understand why people with trailers run in the smoother lane.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 01:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Well, running a trailer over 65mph is just not safe regardless of tow vehicle or hitch setup. I got the point of the op. And my response is; if you need to go fast, don't tow.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
I switch back and forth if the right lane is bad, but stay attuned to those coming up behind who want to pass. In metro areas, I claim the center lane and stay there.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Gwinn , Michigan
The left lane is the passing lane. It is very annoying when people drive in the left lane, then I have to pass on the right. This is dangerous, as there are slower moving semi trucks in the right lane. That, and it is hard to see around an Airstream to see what is it front. If you don't like the right lane, pass when needed, but please don't drive in the left lane. By the way, the AS trailer tires are only rated for a maximum of 65 mph. If you are driving 65 in the left lane, then you are going too slow for most traffic. If you are going faster than this, you risk blowing a tire.
Yooperchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
Impeding Traffic

Nothing plugs up an Interstate more than someone hanging in the left lane because they are too lazy to move over. There will always be somebody faster, forcing them to pass on the right. Dangerous!!! The real problem is lack of patience! This in turn causes drivers to do really stupid moves. In about a year all big trucks will, by law, be governed at the same speed. Probably 65 mph. Just imagine those guys trying to pass each other. Why add to the problem by languishing in the left lane! Also known as the "Monfort Lane". Google it!!!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Everyone is missing the point of the OP decision to run in the left lane. It's not about speed, it's about comfort and wear and tear on your rig.

My take on it would be that running in the left lane where traffic would allow you to do that would be just fine as long as you're running at flow of traffic speed and not any less. If you find a vehicle coming up on you fast, pull over as quickly as possible to let them pass. I for one do understand why people with trailers run in the smoother lane.

Cheers
Tony
Well, Tony, you beat me to it.
The OP, RLS, was complaining about the condition of some right hand lanes on Interstates but most are just commenting on driving in the right lane in general. I agree with RLS, if the right lane is so poorly kept that my TV and AS are just bouncing and dodging poor pothole repairs, then I move to the left lane and speed up a little. I usually run at 65 but I will bump up to 70 to keep from being a problem. I'll move back to the right lane again if traffic cannot get around me on the right but as soon as it's clear, I'm back in the left lane.

It's usually not too long, sometimes just to the next county. The right lane gets the most traffic so it gets (or needs) the most repairs. It's not always a very good job and mile after mile it's pretty rough going. I would never drive consistently in the left lane, but I'm with RLS, I'm moving over until it clears up. I don't want to be changing a tire or losing control because of potholes or crumbling concrete.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:22 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida

This thread is not about speed.

This seems to be lost on the majority of those responding. Including some who wrote that they understood the point of the OP.

It's not about how fast you drive with your AS. It's not about whether you clog the left lane.

The question, more clearly put, is this: who, while driving in light traffic in the poorly-maintained right lane, bouncing and shaking your Airstream excessively, prefers to drive in the smoother left lane, all the while watching to make sure you move right when faster-moving traffic approaches?

That's the OP's intended question. Answers that reference speed don't answer the OP's question.

You're welcome.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
2006 25' International CCD
Marietta , Georgia
The left - fast lane is for passing slower traffic. If you use it, it should be only to get around a slow vehicle and then back to the right Don't give Airstreamers a bad reputation. Were you absent when they drivers ed?
benwilbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I know where the original poster is coming from. It's not about speed; it's about road condition. In a few places we have been, the right lane of the highway is in terrible physical shape and beats your equipment up big time. If traffic is light, I will drive in the left lane and at my regular speed. On multi lane highways through large metro areas, I use the center lane and do the speed limit. You are not always given enough notice of route changes to move a TV + trailer from the extreme right lane to the extreme left lane for an exit or route change.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:22 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
Impeding Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post

Cheers
Tony
Need to read my post again!!!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #32
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
First, I want to thank the few that understand my question. I did not mean to have opinions on speed or what is the proper lane to stay in. I run LT Commercial tires that have a speed index way above any speed limit. My question was to find out how many drivers will move over to the left lane when the right one is so rough. We just finished a 5,600 mile trip going over both Interstate roads and country ones. I found that in many places, the 4 lane ones had many pot holes and in general Rough! I could feel the suspension getting a pounding and knew it was doing the same to the trailer. I do not like going in the left lane unless passing, but after so much, I started using the left where it was smooth riding. I myself have had it, from now on it's the left lane when needed
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clovis , California
Clarification on Left lane towing in CA: Any vehicle towing is limited to the right 2 lanes on any highway with 3 OR MORE lanes traveling in the same direction. Left lane use is legal while towing if there are only 2 lanes going in the same direction unless expressly forbidden by signage. You can be cited for "Impeding the flow of traffic" if you are towing in left lane at a speed so slow as to impede other traffic. (Tought ticket to write if the slow vehicle is traveling at the posted limit for those he is impeding.) And as a bonus tip for those driving thru CA: It is illegal to attach anything to your windshield unless it attached to the lower left or lower right corners of the windshield. I see out of state drivers with GPS units mounted to the center of their windshields frequently. I also know of no one that has ever written a citation for this one.

I'm still researching how a recently passed California proposition banning any magazine that holds more than 10 rounds is going to apply to out of state residents.

Bruce,
Retired Traffic Sergeant
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 04:26 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykytiukr View Post
Need to read my post again!!!
I did, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to imply that if you're in the left lane and going slower than other traffic in the left lane, then you need to move right. And well, yeah. Of course. Thats ALWAYS the case.

As long as you do that, then I don't see a problem with driving in the left lane to avoid unnecessary wear and tear on your Airstream when the right lane is in poor condition.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:49 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
On I-20 around Tuscaloosa there is a sign that says trucks use left lane. The right lane is rough and tight. On I-59 there was a section for 50 or so miles that the right lane was so rough that truckers moved to the left lane. Faster traffic went by on the right. If the truckers move over, I move over. Other than that right lane at 65+/-.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:44 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
People pulling a trailer in traffic in the left lane, leaving a long gap between them and the next vehicle to their front, inspire road rage in vehicles trapped behind them. That in turn can lead to unsafe inside passing and angry drivers. Knowing that, when I'm pulling my trailer I stay to the right, smooth or not, and just deal with drivers exiting or entering the highway who try to get in front of me. If traffic is light OTOH and there is no problem passing me on the right, I'll ride in the left lane if it is a lot smoother.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:41 PM   #37
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
If the roads are really bad I look for an alternate route

If the road looks like it will be bad for a long distance I look for an alternate route. This summer going thru Indiana the interstate was so bad we got off and drove thru half of the state on the parallel state highway with lower speed limits, slowing for every little town. The roads were very smooth and far better than the beating we were taking from the interstate paving and the scenery was better.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:13 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvb View Post
If the road looks like it will be bad for a long distance I look for an alternate route. This summer going thru Indiana the interstate was so bad we got off and drove thru half of the state on the parallel state highway with lower speed limits, slowing for every little town. The roads were very smooth and far better than the beating we were taking from the interstate paving and the scenery was better.
Totally agree. If the road is that bad I find an alternate .
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:05 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
Would really like to get everyone's opinion on driving in the left lane. I am feed up with trying to stay in the right lane and getting us and the trailer beaten up! I know slower traffic is supposed to stay in the right lane, but come on, are you to stay there no matter how bad that lane is or move over to the smoooth left lane.
Keep right. It's rarely necessary to move over if you're a good driver, except to let a semi merge. Lots of people get hung up in the center or left lane after they "help" someone merge and the person stays next to them.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:57 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
First, I want to thank the few that understand my question. I did not mean to have opinions on speed or what is the proper lane to stay in. I run LT Commercial tires that have a speed index way above any speed limit. My question was to find out how many drivers will move over to the left lane when the right one is so rough. We just finished a 5,600 mile trip going over both Interstate roads and country ones. I found that in many places, the 4 lane ones had many pot holes and in general Rough! I could feel the suspension getting a pounding and knew it was doing the same to the trailer. I do not like going in the left lane unless passing, but after so much, I started using the left where it was smooth riding. I myself have had it, from now on it's the left lane when needed
A case in point is I-76 going east leaving Colorado. The right lane is worst than a washboard rivet popper so I use the left lane. Thankfully the traffic is light and I simply move over as I see it catching up to me and move back as I can. G
My problem with hanging in the right lane through urban areas is the exiting and entering traffic making me ether slow down or speed up.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote