Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Currently Looking...
San Francisco , California
It never rains in California... Except that it DOES!

What should I get for rain gear? Like what to wear when working around the trailer, hitching up, un-hitching and setting up camp etc..

Should I get the hevy duty foul weather gear the offshore sailors and fishermen use? The stuff that stands up to heavy work and still keeps you dry.

Should I get the light rain wieght gear found in the camping and hiking stores?

What about the full body motorcycle rain suits?

Can I just get by with a cheap plastic poncho?

Likely we'll do more than a few months total on the road in the next year. So far since we've limited ourselves to CA and stayed dry, but even here the rain is starting and we'll definitely wander outside the state so I'm sure to get wet soon.

I'm a retired engineer, do it myself kind of old guy.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
There are a slew of choices and what you want it to do (& for how long) really determines the best answer. If it is only for occasional light use, then a simple poncho might fit the bill.

Personally, I have a number of rain outfits. Since I participate in ocean sailboat racing, I have true marine foul weather gear for gale force winds and heavy wave spray in a harsh environment. It has sealing throat, sleeves, etc. extra wear patches, and is quite stout (1000 denier cordura)... it isn't necessary for land yachting. I also own multiple motorcycles and this activity demands a different set of sealing criteria, mostly crotch and leg seams to prevent wind forced intrusion... also not required for trailering.

I carry a triple layer weather protection suit (Gor-Tex core) for all my trailer travels which is best described as high quality hiking gear. The pants are by Marmot and the coat/jacket is by Columbia. Life on the East Coast means far more rain days than California and I usually take my dogs on hikes (rain or shine) wherever we are besides camp activities so durability is another of my criteria. The set is almost ten y.o. now and holding up extremely well. My wife prefers her golfing rain gear by Forrester.

I suggest looking for clearance sales or deep discounters which can cut cost tremendously. CampSavers.com or SierraTradingPost.com are good sources.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:33 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Picked up an inexpensive rain suit and a similar poncho. They are still in the plastic wrap and nicely packed away in the back of the rig. So far (30K miles) I have only used a light weight wind breaker. Working outside in the rain is not something that is recommended, so I wait for a slow down. The hiking gear recommendation is appropriate. The offshore gear is overkill. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:25 PM   #4

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
I got a really cool rain poncho at Disneyland with Mickey on the back, can't wait to use it during setup! That will make the neighbors wonder ??????

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SagaCapt View Post
What should I get for rain gear? Like what to wear when working around the trailer, hitching up, un-hitching and setting up camp etc..

Should I get the hevy duty foul weather gear the offshore sailors and fishermen use? The stuff that stands up to heavy work and still keeps you dry.

Likely we'll do more than a few months total on the road in the next year. So far since we've limited ourselves to CA and stayed dry, but even here the rain is starting and we'll definitely wander outside the state so I'm sure to get wet soon.

I am also a retired engineer, a diy sort and been trailering for near 30 yrs. Here's how I do it....In warm wet weather I use slip on canvas shoes, no socks, gym shorts, tee, light weight poncho and cap with a bill to keep rain off my glasses. I do my hook up and when ready to roll I go inside the A/S, put on dry socks and sneakers and I am ready to go usually with no sweat. If the ground water is wading deep I just get in the T/V with wet feet and go.

In cool/cold wet weather I wear jeans, my water-proof hunting boots,sweat shirt, cap and poncho. Still no sweat and fairly dry.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:

Peter Storm has a very good rain set that they call " No Sweat".
I used it Backpacking The Long Trail in Vermont and I was very comfortable in it.:
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:18 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
I bought a Marmot gortex rain jacket. Windproof and Waterproof 100%. No liner. Zippers in armpits. It truly is all you really need. MARMOT is the best brand, I had another gortex one and the inside had a spray on liner that I was not aware of. After 5 years it began flaking off. For backpacking in the rain I also have the matching rainpants. I've lived in San Diego and done the outdoors nearly all my 56 years. As a former Girl Scout Leader and Asst. Scoutmaster, I was a gear hog for several years. My daughter was a teacher for rock climbing in Boy Scouts, then she ended up working for Adventure 16.

p.s. buy it one size larger and it makes a great shell over a fleece, wool, or down sweater/jacket. Perfect for those cold winds that cut right through ya.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:

My work takes me all over the 48. Can be outside from 1-4 hours (even more) loading or unloading tanker trailer. The past year I've been using Frogg Togg separates. Was about $70 at Academy Sports.

Have been on ground in 2" deep water, 40F and wind blowing in order to R&R clogged 3" pipe. Thought these would tear up. Nope. And on mild days I may wear them all day long going down the road as they're light, breathable with decent wind protection.

With a pair of rubber steel toes and insulated footbed liners, it's a good set up. Easy on and off.

Highly recommended. I keep them on an ordinary suit hanger, otherwise I'd roll them up to store.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:06 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
The idea that you need anything but the most basic raingear to wear while hooking up your trailer strikes me as gross overkill. Buy an inexpensive rainsuit (hooded jacket and bib pants) at Home Depot or other store for under $20. If it gets really muddy, a pair of rubber boots would be worthwhile. Speaking from long experience this will keep you comfy and dry in all but the most drenching downpours. If its raining that hard, like another member said just wait it out. Have fun, Capt, and stay dry!
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
I live in Portland OR, wher last year we got just under 50 inches of rain. Shoes, jeans and a goretex shell is all you'll ever need.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:54 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
I agree with Caffeinated and USAtraveler. Don't over-"engineer" it. Unless you expect to work or play outside in the rain, less is best...even one of those $1 plastic ponchos for the rare need to set up in the rain, or just a simple, thin nylon jacket. With over 16 years and over 700 nights in our Airstream, I can recall only three occasions where I had to do basic set up in the rain: Along the Columbia River, OR; Moab, UT; and Eagle Lake, CA. In those 3 instances, I simply backed in, plugged in, and went inside the trailer and waited for it stop; it always does. I'm sure there's people with different experience with the rain, but that's been my experience. When it rains, I go inside. And you simply cannot carry clothing gear for any and all contingencies, if that's your only reason for carrying it. I constantly fight the urge to over-pack, then I remind myself that I'm not going to the moon, and stores are usually not far away.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:03 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Currently Looking...
San Francisco , California
THANKS!!

I really appreciate the input.

Likely I'll go with the light weight camping gear for now.

Regards,

SagaCapt
Old 10-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It never rains in California... Except that it DOES!

Let's not forget being broken down on the side of the road.

Lightweight, breathable rain gear can "pay for itself" on but one occasion. One can get soaked thru long before setting out reflector triangles in DOT method and securing rig from rolling.

The Frogg Toggs I mentioned above simply don't take up enough room to rule them out. One can roll them and store under drivers seat.

Consider them to be part of ones safety equipment. I do, and in driving close to 90,000-miles last year I had several instances where rain gear was integral to securing the scene of a breakdown, as well as in dealing with police and service personnel.

Being well prepared with such a suit, Class II vest as well as water resistant gloves and footwear is reasonable. Don't expect that he site of a breakdown is necessarily flat. Or well drained.

If you want a campground experience, then about nine years ago the ex and I were in the Texas Hill Country. A terrific tropical storm dropped enough water that my trailer almost floated. I had to move my pickup around to hitch it and maybe try to maneuver and save it. Flood waters. Not still. A nice private campground.

With the trailer tires almost submerged and the trailer sliding sideways, it'll get your attention out of deep sleep.

Believe me that one needs no distraction by being soaked in cold water. That problem was hours long.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:00 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
I agree, a Texas rain is a DELUGE! We Californian's NEVER see ANYTHING like it!!! Just doesn't do that here.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Texas rain is impressive. I went ten feet from a car to the door of a shop in a typical Houston rainstorm. Soaked to the skin in 10 seconds.

Never saw rain like that in Alabama.

Glad we are back living in California.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
What Slowmover said was spot-on - bring some extra gear for those "what if" situations. In the past I often reminded my wife to prepare for different temperatures/situations. She started to "get it" once I stopped letting her use the jacket I was wearing.....
I have some Carhardt rain/windproof gear sized just a bit larger so I can layer underneath if necessary. It also gets used during the winter slop season here in Kentucky.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:30 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Spent a couple of years in CenTex myself. Golf ball size hail was worse than any rain. Roof of your AS is gonna look dimpled after one of those storms and no kind of rain gear will make you feel protected!
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote