Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Thumbs down Is there as SNOTTIER RV "Resort" out there?

Lynn and I just got confirmation after sending pictures of our '61 Scotty to Holiday Cove RV Resort in Florida that our RV would not be accepted in their "Resort." I am using quotes here as it truly is a resort- but we common folk are apparently not welcome. Here's their disclaimer:

"Holiday Cove serves motorhomes, travel trailers and fifth wheel trailers in like new condition. Management reserves the right to refuse entry to any RV or vehicle considered by management to be incompatible with HC Resort standards. Sorry, but we are unable to accommodate tents, truck campers, folding camping trailers (pop ups). Depending on overall length, certain commercial truck-size and styled vehicles may also not be able to be accommodated."

Never in 35 years has my family ever been denied access to a camping facility based on our rig. I would strongly guess they would not accept our '64 Airstream Bambi II either, even if it were finished, based on its single axle construction.

Our stuff is just not big or glamorous enough for these ritzy folks, I guess.

I hope this is not the wave of the future of camping...and one more reason to constantly support the mom and pop places who support us. I will blast this resort to anyone who ever asks...and probably many who do not ask...

Ben
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Snotty places like that cater to snotty, unfriendly people who think themselves better than the rest of us. I have always found people of this ilk to be extremely boring and completely uninteresting.

I would have just lied about the year of my Scotty.

Brianm
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Re: lying about the year: Well, I'm guessing that places that employ snooty policies also employ snooty people to enforce them, and they'd reject you on arrival so you'd be looking for another place and lose a deposit. Best to vote with your wallet and spend your money at friendly, accommodating facilities.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We've run into places like that. A "resort" in Bend, Oregon, made someone with a truck camper take it off the truck because the truck wasn't permitted on the RV pad. I guess it was somehow different from a motorhome. It looked pretty weird sitting there on it's legs with the truck parked next to it on the truck pad. They had a ten-year-old rule there. There are other places like that. The good thing is they can't tell how old an Airstream is.

Ben, are you going there anyway?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
No way! There is not a chance I would ever camp in a place like that. They said the vintage of the trailers did not matter-they just have to look brand new.

That is silly- our Scotty is restored. I really think the Airstream with its single axle would not have been accepted, either.

Too bad for them.
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
There are many upscale RV "resorts" that want to cater only to the big class A motorhomes and such. And that is fine by me because I would rather see them there than parked next to me in a national or state park.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
why lie about the year of a Scotty? 58- 61 are the silver sides and were not painted. A 61 Scotty is much more attractive than a 71.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I guess we are elitist also. We have always avoided places with "resort" in the name
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
We recently stayed at an upscale RV park. Although not a 'snooty' place we found ourselves tucked in a row of half mil plus mohos. We do have a striking rig and several of the moho owners came over to chat to us about our classic convertible and vintage Airstream. One smartly dressed gentleman stopped to caution us that the park sprinklers come on at night and to be sure that we wipe the sides of our trailer and car down in the morning to prevent spotting. To those who would not wish us to be near them I remind myself that it is we that have the 'CLASS' as in classic vehicles.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I think you are well out of it and better off picking an campground with nice folk!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Maybe you can take a little bit of comfort in knowing they would not be good enough to be your neighbour in an Airstream park ......

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think the "resorts" are of a couple of types. One type is for people who stay for a long time and want many amenities—maybe a pool, shuffleboard, bingo—one step from assisted living.

Another type is in a resort or destination area. The combination gives them permission (in their minds) to charge extra. They may have the amenities.

Along the Alaska Highway and in that part of Canada and Alaska there are "resorts" that are pretty basic and the difference between them and other places is they are not falling down.

We also avoid "resorts" because they cost a lot more and we don't need most of what they have. The irony is that KOA's have a lot of amenities and usually cost $10-20 less than "resorts". We stayed at the "resort" in Bend because it was the only place we could figure out how to get to. Directions in Woodall's and AAA were awful to all other CG's.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Tucson , Arizona
I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.
Groucho Marx
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:35 PM   #14

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
It's sad when places look past the beauty of an old trailer that has been well taken care of and hasn't needed to be restored yet still serves as a traveling home. I just bought a '95 Classic Pusher and thinks she's a real beauty - but she's certainly not "new" with 203,000 miles on her! Screw such places and enjoy the others that celebrate diversity rather than scorn it.
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #15

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Those places are not for us. We just got back from the air Midwest rally and met some wonderful people. 2 of those people didn't have an Airstream but a beautiful 42' + coach that was 400,000 + and they were so nice and fun! They are joining our group. I'd bet they would never stay at such a dull place! The reason we love to camp is the great people you meet while camping. Like I said places that are soooo snobby have no room for me.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We've had to stay at a couple of those joints when I was still working and going to conventions. All of them had a ten year rule, Bess simply batted her eyes and we had no problems except paying too much and hanging with folks we would have rather not done.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Fair Minded

I used to spend quite a bit of my time at Holiday Trav-l Park in Virginia Beach - they LOOSELY enforced the 15 year old standard....

Basically they didn't want any rattle trap, held together with duct tape, faded and broken RV's.

Then the recession hit.

The next winter when I pulled on, there was a huge old fiver, that had been sideswipeed and rear ended, and the frame was clearly broken. The tires were mismatched, and the truck that was pulling it looked to be on it's last legs. The trailer had tags that had been expired for years and weren't even from the same state as the truck's plates.

The owner attempted to fix the damage by nailing 2 x 2's on the outside of the siding, and was seen welding the frame over several days. (It still had a 4 inch drop between the rear axle and the rear bumper. )

There were seven or eight people living in the thing and it was a real "grapes of wrath" looking homeless in America trailer. I being nosy, brave and stupid met the people. I think a few brother-sister marriages might have taken place in that family tree! At any rate they were clearly down on their luck, lacking education and just doing the best they could to get by. A few strategic phone calls netted a church that bought a somewhat distressed fifth wheel for $1500 (still MUCH better than what they had) and found three jobs for the family men. The old trailer was carted off and scrapped... clothing donations helped too. They've since found a lot in NC and are apparently getting the kids into school, etc. So hopefully it's a happier ending for them.

The park - ordinarily wouldn't have even let that rig on site... And sometimes I'd have to agree. I stayed in a park on the outskirts of AKRON Ohio once which was really bad - backed up sewer lines were what I thought would be the low point - until the police raided it one night and took away three "families" of professional grifters. They also seized 24K in stolen property.

So... perhaps having a LITTLE bit of "minimum standards" might make it a more pleasant (and safe) experience for us all. OTOH if someone doesn't want me to pollute the PRAY-VOUS with my presence, well fine.

Paula
Old 10-06-2010, 11:52 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hephzibah , Georgia
them, their couch, and the horse they rode in on.

tell them you'll be glad to take your money else where.
nti06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I called an RV site up near OKC not long ago. And the lady was real quick to ask if the Airstream had any dents. If this is the way trailer parks are, then I don't have that kind of time with some one running my business. Then she said to guys cannot be there either, even though I am only a care giver to my room mate Angel, who is in one year recovery from triple bypass surgery. But I asked her why not, and she said because they fight. Because they fight? ...huh?
Old 10-07-2010, 07:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
Then she said to guys cannot be there either, even though I am only a care giver to my room mate Angel, who is in one year recovery from triple bypass surgery. But I asked her why not, and she said because they fight. Because they fight? ...huh?
Discrimination lawsuit ahoy! (Just kidding. Vote with your $$ and go elsewhere.)

A friend of mine used to work in a state park, and she would shake her head at the RVs that roll in, put down the jacks from inside, and she'd never see the occupants. We've all seen people doing that, too. I think THOSE are the ones that would go to the 'resort' that started this thread... and enjoy it.

I think back to our last trip, a WBCCI rally at a state park, and it was GREAT. We spent all kinds of time outside enjoying the weather. I went hiking for a couple miles. My only regret is that I didn't take my bike to do more exploring!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote