Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
How is this any different from Airstream only parks?

It is certainly no different from restaurants with dress codes.

I have walked into restaurants and been offered a tie to comply with their dress code. I simply say, "No thank you", and go to some other restaurant nearby where I can be comfortable and probably pay less.

They built a campground and decided how they wanted it to look.

I don't think there is any reason to be offended by it. Simply don't go there. You probably wouldn't like it anyway if the management has those kind of values.

I guess we could petition congress to add age of travel trailer to those reasons we can't be discriminated against.

To answer your title question:
I am not willing to do the research, but I am sure there are RV parks even more snotty than that.

Regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Seattle , Washington
Those places crack me up, i bet they all bitch about each other, and who has the best rig. Thou', I do always feel a little superior when I pull up to a camp ground in my AS, (oh oh!!!, maybe I'm one of the people we're talking about) but we are superior 'cos we have airstreams and argosy's, and it doesn't matter what they look like...... they're all cool.....
Streamer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:07 AM   #23
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I tend to agree with Ken, but I don't have to like people who discriminate on the basis of arbitrary rules. It's easier to have a 10 year rule than to go out and look at the RV. And people can't argue about 10 years, but they sure will if you tell them their RV doesn't look so good. Some people, those who keep their RV's in good condition, are caught in this unfairly. I don't like to lie and saying my trailer was newer than it is (a problem coming in 2019) would not be easy, but maybe links a little dishonesty with a bit of laziness on the CG's part.

Since it's illegal to abuse the elderly in Colorado, perhaps there's a legal claim there. If the CG says your trailer is elderly, that seems abusive. I keep telling my wife she can't legally abuse me (making me go shopping, for example), but she laughs at me too.

I wonder if the time will come when travel trailers are banned at some CG's. The trend is to MH's and 5th wheels—the bigger and more opulent the better. Travel trailers are so yesterday (as is that phrase).

Here's another "resort" experience. I don't remember if this place was called a "resort", but it was near Park City, Utah, a destination resort. We pulled in and it looked very well kept with MH's on concrete pads and lots of landscaping. We asked where the sites where and were told all the ones in front were owned ($200,000 or so). The sites for the unwashed were down the hill in back in a dirt field. It was full of weeds, the sewer connection was broken, the MH's were in the way of the TV signal. We wanted to be close to Park City, but next time we'll go to the state park. Capping the evening was our fine dining experience in Park City. The meal was great, but in the next booth was an increasingly drunk and very loud local who spent most of her time either on the phone or telling her date (and us) about her various neuroses. She had enough influence in that town that the staff were afraid to tell her to talk quieter (I know because I asked).

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post

To answer your title question:
I am not willing to do the research, but I am sure there are RV parks even more snotty than that.

Regards,

Ken
A friend with a late model Airstream was refused the right to return to a fancy park in the Florida keys, (Blue Water) unless he promised NOT to put up his ham radio antenna on the back of the trailer ( Hustler 5btv). He did not go back.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
A friend with a late model Airstream was refused the right to return to a fancy park in the Florida keys, (Blue Water) unless he promised NOT to put up his ham radio antenna on the back of the trailer ( Hustler 5btv). He did not go back.
OK,

That's where I draw the line.
That's going too far.

Regards,

Ken
Old 10-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #26
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
I hope this is not the wave of the future of camping...and one more reason to constantly support the mom and pop places who support us. I will blast this resort to anyone who ever asks...and probably many who do not ask...
Get used to it I'm afraid. Looks like as more baby boomers and their offspring get into camping we will see more "glamping" and less camping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
Maybe you can take a little bit of comfort in knowing they would not be good enough to be your neighbour in an Airstream park ......

Jay
Now the shoe's on the other foot. I don't see why good glass Airstream owners seem to think they should be allowed to throw stones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
So... perhaps having a LITTLE bit of "minimum standards" might make it a more pleasant (and safe) experience for us all. OTOH if someone doesn't want me to pollute the PRAY-VOUS with my presence, well fine.

Paula
I agree. I just don't think we should complain to our fellow Airstreamers about it. Yes, it does hurt our feelings, but do we not practice the same concept, at least among ourselves, when we refer to all non-Airstream/Argosy RVs as "SOBs".

Looking down our collective noses at those not fortunate enough (or not smart enough) to buy Airstreams is just as snooty. I can just see the owner of a white box travel trailer, motor home, or 5th wheel saying, "You mean those folks in the Airstreams think they are too good to let me camp at Top-of-Georgia Airstream Park. Well, if they don't want my kind around them then I don't want to be around their snooty campground."
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
There's a subtle undercurrent in this thread that bothers me a lot. Class warfare is rearing its ugly head and it's totally unnecessary. I'm seeing it on other forums relating to hot rods and Model A's, to say nothing of the political campaigns that are pitting the haves vs. the have nots.

I'm not so insecure that I have to submit a post about being rejected to garner support.

You have an AirStream, get over it and move on to the next park.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Tucson , Arizona
Money can't buy friends, but it can get you a better class of enemy.Spike Milligan
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #29
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I'm not sure what "class" Airstream owners belong to. There was a thread a couple of years ago about people thinking we were all millionaires (I looked for the thread but couldn't find it). I am not sure what class MoHo owner's belong to either; maybe Class A. Class warfare between millionaires?

My stance is: Crush the other class when I figure out what it is.

Gene
Old 10-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
Looking down our collective noses at those not fortunate enough (or not smart enough) to buy Airstreams is just as snooty. I can just see the owner of a white box travel trailer, motor home, or 5th wheel saying, "You mean those folks in the Airstreams think they are too good to let me camp at Top-of-Georgia Airstream Park. Well, if they don't want my kind around them then I don't want to be around their snooty campground."
Not really a fair comparison. The Airstream parks are built by Airstream owners , units or whatever for their own use and not advertised as campgrounds open to the general public in campround directories.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Several years ago when we still had our 1977 Argosy we stayed at the Hart Ranch RV in Rapid City, SD. When we arrived our biege colored Argosy was covered with an half inch of red mud on the front and both sides. It looked like real "trailer thrash" if you know what I mean. No problem. Nothing said about the appearance. I did wash it a couple of days later. For those not familar with the Hart Ranch it is a 1st rate RV park all the way.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Seattle & Olympic Peninsula , Washington
A buddy of mine always says "Rich or poor, it's good to have money." Personally, my friends think I'm like a Playtex Bra... no visible means of support. ;p

My two cents on the subject is that people who think they are better that others just because they have money, or like to spend what they have so people think they are deserve their shallow meaningless existence.

Dave
EvelynDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:05 AM   #33
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Class Envy

Quote 1: "We spend money we don't have on things we don't need to create impressions that won't last on people we don't care about."

Tim Jackson, Professor of Sustainable Development, University of Surrey

Quote 2: "Be calm - Have a cupcake." Thomas Norman

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:46 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
I remember when we first started camping 30 years ago with 2 kids in diapers in a used Coleman pop-up we could barely afford. At one point we were in a campground set up and a behemoth of a diesel MH backed in beside us. The levelers came down, tv antenna went up...and we never saw the owners. I remember saying to my wife "now that isn't camping, I'd never have one of those". It wasn't long before our camping trips included coffee makers, a tv/dvd, and other comforts of home. Since that time we have moved up from pop-up to travel trailer to Bounder MH. Last year our MH was totaled when the roof of the storage garage collapsed. The logical progression would have been to continue the climb to a bigger unit...we decided on a 32 year old AS Ambassador. The point being? It doesn't really matter what type of unit we have...it is the "camping spirit" that we embrace. Our kids are young adults and still want to camp with Mom and Dad. It is the experience, the journey, that counts...not the campground or the trailer. Just one Dad's opinion...

Bob
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:52 AM   #35

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Very nicely put, Bob. Our sentiments exactly. We don't really care what the guy next door has as long as we are out in Lucy, partaking in America.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:57 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
We had a similar thing a couple of years ago at Lake Erie in Ohio.Just happened we had a lot next to ONE of them there HuGH MH wiff the Flat Screen outside and inside and da Hughs network Dish on da roof.We had our little yappers with us of course which we did our best to keep quite,we didnt wanna get throwed out ourselves . But the guy was not social at all.I got the feeling he though he was better than us and maybe he was. Be the difference was WE had friends in other Airstreams and NO BODY visited him AT ALL. SO MUCH FOR MONEY!
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #37
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I parked next to one of them hooge MH in Wisconsin a few weeks ago. We pulled in after dark.

The owner was a nice guy. Can't tell until you meet them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).JPG
Views:	127
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	114736  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I'd have to agree with the idea that Airstream Only parks are just as dull a concept as any other appearance-based resorts. Enforced homogeneity seems, to me, the antithesis of traveling and camping.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #39
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
All this talk about snobs reminds me of a thread a couple of years ago discussing how people thought Airstream owners were snobs. This may have been the thread where it was discussed how people thought Airstream owners are millionaires. I suppose those who own Airstream mohos are multimillionaire snobs who only stay at resorts.

Now to have a breakfast of champagne and brie on whole grain individually wrapped crackers while the servants peal the grapes.

Gene
Old 11-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
All this talk about snobs reminds me of a thread a couple of years ago discussing how people thought Airstream owners were snobs. This may have been the thread where it was discussed how people thought Airstream owners are millionaires. I suppose those who own Airstream mohos are multimillionaire snobs who only stay at resorts.

Now to have a breakfast of champagne and brie on whole grain individually wrapped crackers while the servants peal the grapes.

Gene
I'm assuming since you are rich, you did not buy the Brie at Costco. If you did, don't eat it.

Ken