Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Do any off you people remember or know what the clearance of the last tunnel is on the south end of the Blue Ridge?
Thanks
Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #22
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I have driven the BR Parkway extensively. The south end tunnel "Bunches Bald" (mile marker 459) between Route 19 and terminus at Cherokee has the lowest clearance at 10’6” above the road edge and 18'4" above the centerline.

Stick to the Parkway (avoid side trip roads like Mt. Mitchell) and use the dual entrance overlooks but keep a close eye on the weather. When the fog hits, you can barely see the centerline and will regret being on the road.

If you have a smart phone, get the free Blue Ridge Parkway travel planning app from the Play or App Store. It will be a great companion along the route.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:25 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
In 2012 our unit had a caravan which traveled the full length of the Parkway. We covered every inch of the road with our F150 pulling a 34'. We didn't even feel any concerns on the Parkway. That said, there are some places like "little Switzerland" which are challenging if you get off the parkway at that point. We did exit the parkway frequently for fuel and overnight camping.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:11 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAT View Post
I would like to travel some or all of the Blue Ridge Parkway starting at the southern end. I have a 1976 thirty one foot. I have a 2500 diesel TV so I think I have enough pulling and stopping power. My concern is clearance both top and side. Should I be concerned of meeting something in a sharp curve or side clearance . I want to go but don't want to put any dimples in my AS.
If you have the opportunity to go, do it!!!!! You will be glad you did!
People travel the Blue Ridge Parkway every day towing their trailers and have no problems. Just pay attention and go slow enough to enjoy it. You will be fine.

I remember seeing one sign at an entry to a tunnel near the south end of the BRP that says to ride near the center line due to low height. But I also remember that I was following a motor home that went through successfully. Height will not be an issue for an Airstream trailer in the tunnels if you stay in the traffic lane and do not drive in the bicycle lane.

The tunnels have a bicycle lane one each side of the normal traffic lanes. The traffic lanes are normal widths. If you stay in your lane you will not have any issues with side clearance.

The problem I have had; at times there are a few places where branches overhang and touch the top of the trailer. The maintenance crews generally keep the branches trimmed out of the way, but not all the time. I missed seeing one and cracked my AC shroud.

Curves on the parkway are not an issue. When you enter or leave the parkway on some county roads there could be a problem. If you start down the county roads you may have to go all the way down on steep unpaved curvy roads, there is no place to turn around. On the state and US highways, generally, the access is good. When it is not, you will see that the roads have signs that clearly tell you if you should go or not.

We are close enough to the BRP that we sometimes ride up there for a day trip, a picnic lunch and an afternoon of coolness, at least a couple times per month in the summer. We camp on the BRP often during the summer, From Peaks of Otter to Pisgah Mountain. Julian Price is one of our favorites, since we can canoe on the lake. We have towed the full length of the Skyline and the BRP many times towing a 30' Excella wide body.

It is all beautiful, but the south end from the Smoky Mountains to Cumberland Knob is my favorite for the views. The south end has the higher elevations. As you leave NC and enter Virginia the elevation drops from 5,000 to 6,000 down to 2,000 to 3,000 above sea level. In summer the temperature on the south end of the BRP is very pleasant, normally in the upper 70's to low 80's for the high temperature. We were at Julian Price a few weeks ago, where it got down into the 40's at night.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I agree completely with Alan's assessment of traveling the BRP with an Airstream.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
I second Dan's recommendation on Loft Mountain. The spaces at LM are much larger than those at Big Meadows. There are no hookups at either place but you don't need A/C anyway. The Skyline Drive and The Blue Ridge Parkway are both beautiful but taking it slow and easy is important. 35 to 40 MPH is fine but it's not an interstate but the scenery isn't interstate scenery either.
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Loft Mountain is gorgeous. the deer wander through your camp site. We endured a thunderstorm up there back in '99. We abandoned the tents and tried to sleep in the car. We were car camping. T storms in the mountains are awe inspiring.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I was on the Blue Ridge Parkway today to scope out camping at Sherando Lake for this Labor Day weekend. I went through a tunnel at mm 43. Here 1s a photo.

All the electric sites at Sherando are filled but there are some first come non electric sites that are great for Airstreams less than 25 ft. Specifically sites 22, 23 and 28-32 are prime sites and are still available for this weekend. We will be on site 30 starting tomorrow.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5378.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	587.9 KB
ID:	219923   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5380.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	583.8 KB
ID:	219924  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5381.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	601.0 KB
ID:	219925  
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:59 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Sitting here at a great campground at mile marker 357 . Large, very clean and best yet only 1/2 mile off the parkway. It has been a great trip and enjoyed it a lot. When I get home I will post some pictures but have not had any problems what so ever. It's a great place. Thanks to those that responded your information was so helpful.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote