Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Is it too late to plan a snowbird escape for Winter 2015?

We are still on the vertical learning curve in the realm of Airstream trips greater than two weeks.
Living in the northeaster part of the country winter usually begins in November and ends in March. We are considering Arizona preferring state, national parks and some boondocking.
For all you experienced snowbirds, guess I am looking for good expert tips from Airstreamers who have been or are going this winter. Maybe the topic should read Snowbirding to Southwest for dummies. Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
Noted many RV parks have full amenities but we would favor more natural settings and maybe a nice pool or lake ( despite the ongoing drought). We need to consider all our options and then begin to plan our escapee. We do not gulf but enjoy kayaking and hiking.
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Fly South Snowbird!
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I would suggest setting up in a larger RV Resort as a base camp and wander from there. There are good long term rates, probably less than searching for day to day stops, and many have great amenities, hobby shops, and active social and club activities. We had an wonderful outdoor barbecue and dance this evening here at Voyager RV.

Then explore was far and wide as you wish from there. Also consider the trips down and back as opportunities to tour the country. We take out time and look for a new route each trip, ranging far off a direct path, at least twice as far.

We have also spent time at various state and county parks. The natural settings are quite beautiful, more likely desert surrounded by mountains than a lake, be advised they get busy and full this time of year and the stay time is limited. I think weeks on end this can be somewhat boring if you enjoy community life.

Head straight south this time of year, then relax and enjoy toward a destination.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Here's a plan, since you're comfortable with two week trips:

1. Plan a two week trip.
2. Go on that trip.
3. At the end of the two weeks don't go home.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-06-2014, 04:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Here's a plan, since you're comfortable with two week trips:

1. Plan a two week trip.
2. Go on that trip.
3. At the end of the two weeks don't go home.

That's some excellent thinking!

Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:06 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
We are still on the vertical learning curve in the realm of Airstream trips greater than two weeks.
Living in the northeaster part of the country winter usually begins in November and ends in March. We are considering Arizona preferring state, national parks and some boondocking.
Living along the Gulf Coast, I'm certainly no snowbird, but I have a suggestion nonetheless…

Most State Parks and Corps of Engineers campgrounds allow stays of up to two weeks at a time, and in the south they're open year-round. While there may be a few state parks that aren't on a lake, every Corps of Engineers campground is. Make reservations for two weeks at a state park or CoE campground. While you're at that campground, make your reservations for the next one you want to visit. Repeat as needed until you're ready to go north again.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Go.

Maggie
Old 11-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #8
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Go now before the first big snow.

As others have said, first go south. Then if you feel like it, go west.

BTW, I love Wayne & Sam's idea. Awesome!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We're about 60% planned for our winter travel. If you're thinking State Parks in the south you're probably too late and can only hope to cash in on someone elses cancellation. For private campgrounds and RV parks you're probably still OK but don't wait tooooooo much longer.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Great advice and would love to leave right now but cannot which is one of the issues.
Obviously leaving before first big snowfalls and major ice storms would be optimal.
We would rather avoid Florida and crowds of others heading to the coastlines.
Arizona seems a likely destination as we have only "passed through" on other adventures west.
The "pilot" and (captain) has driven 10 -12 hrs. heading home from summer trip but we would prefer to enjoy the journey. We are typically planners and are somewhat fearful of heading out to "parts unknown to us" without advance reservations. Unfortunately, upcoming health surveillance next month prevents us from moving forward with firming up reservations. We could boondock BML lands if necessary but would need to replenish fresh water and empty tanks. We have camped without hookups and supplemented batteries with 2000i genny but not experienced refreshing water and emptying tanks on the fly. Greatly appreciate all your excellent comments and suggestions....keep them coming!
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
going south

You can easily do it in state and National Parks, as long as by south you mean places above the Tampa Bay area in Florida. There are lots of state, county and National Parks and other recreation areas in the south east, the highs above Tampa tend to be a little below absolute shorts weather, but still much warmer than Wisconsin (most years). Join WBCCI, fit in one of their rallies or caravans, and you will get tons of information on places to stay. We have done the SE the last four years with hardly any reservations. We are planning the AZ area this year, and calling ahead it seems that most public parks have open sites, but I might feel different by the time I get home. Good Luck.
Steve0
Old 11-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

We'll be in Arizona part of this winter staying in state and county parks. I made reservations this past spring. Recently, I was going to change our plans to meet up with a friend in Tuscon and noticed that some of the Maricopa County Parks still have some spots. You may want to try there. Some other suggestions : Death Valley National Park, CA - they have added some electric sites and those are all gone now but sites without hook-ups remain. Nice time of year to be there. ( we'll be there in January) . You could head down to Joshua Tree National Park after that.

My husband likes to kayak too. We'll be staying at a private RV campground in San Diego in late January. These types of campgrounds normally aren't our first choice but it's right on San Diego bay and right on a bike path in the city so we're going to give it a try. He can kayak right from the campground. I know they still have spots.

We're going to check out Quartzite while we're out there too. I'm not sure it will be our cup of tea ( we like more remote and quiet spots) but it's worth checking out.

I say go. It will work out as long as you are flexible.

PM me if you want more info.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
1981 28' Airstream 280
Olympia , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to BusDriver
In the Tuscon, AZ area: Catalina State Park, make your reservation now. Gilbert Ray Regional Park, Pacacho Peak State Park (Four Corners Unit will be having their annual New Years Rally here, always room for one more if you want to join us. Various BLM spots around Tuscon.

Ajo and Why, and Organ Pipe National Park, just east of Tuscon has many dry camp areas, check out the Darby Wells Road area in the Ajo area.

Farther west check out Joshua Tree State (or maybe National) Park, also if you are adventurous check out "The Slab" (everyone should go there at least once), mid-east side of Salton Sea, I think it's just east of Nyland.

The west side of Salton Sea you can go to Anza Borrego Springs National Park; many dry camping sites in that area.

Along the Colorado River, California side, about 20 miles north of Yuma are many places to camp, some are state, national and BLM. Squaw Lake is nice.

There are many RV establishments around the Yuma area. Escapee has a nice park in Yuma.

And of course the area around Quartsite, miles of boondocking.

There is so much to see and do between Tuscon and San Diego that it will take you several winters to do it all. San Diego County has many nice parks.

Have fun, It's past November first so you better get a move on....!
Check out our Travel Blog
buddytravels.blogspot.com Streamin with Joe and Buddy
BusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Is it too late to plan a snowbird escape for Winter 2015?

There is a lot of BLM land around Quartzsite where you may boondock and be quite alone if you wish.
We spend about two weeks every year in Quartzsite starting about January 14/15 to be there during the RV show etc.

Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
I live in Ontario Canada and have signed on with RV Care Avanners volunteer group they rebuild houses for Habitat for Humanity , they have lots of sites in the south looking for volunteers, and a lot of time they provide your camp ground spot.
There are also AS only parks that are very inexpensive. GO you'll find green grass somewhere !!!
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #16
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Just want to follow this one, i am headed into Arizona in the next two weeks....
Old 11-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
If you realy want to learn how to boondock go to Quartzsite AZ.You can boondock there for$180 for 7 months That gets you a place to get water and to dump.
Google it to see what goes on there.There are more things to do if your a doer or you can do nothing.
Quarzsite is never full at any time.
Read "Boondocking with Jimmini" under on the road. I have stuff about AZ camping
Old 11-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
At $180 for 7 months you get what you pay for and not much more.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
For all you experienced snowbirds, guess I am looking for good expert tips from Airstreamers who have been or are going this winter. Maybe the topic should read Snowbirding to Southwest for dummies. Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
Noted many RV parks have full amenities but we would favor more natural settings and maybe a nice pool or lake ( despite the ongoing drought). We need to consider all our options and then begin to plan our escapee. We do not gulf but enjoy kayaking and hiking.
We are in FL for the winter, but we will travel back home a few times for holidays. People come and people go all year long, but the majority arrive after Christmas and stay until the end of March. In this area it's hard to find a long term camping spot unless you have reservations. I recommend choosing a destination then call ahead to make sure you have a place to stay.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hey if you can't leave yet, consider about moving your Airstream into storage somewhere a bit south of the usual snowline. I'd DREAD trying to leave after a bad snowstorm, though I pulled INTO one coming back from the Canopener a few years ago.

Arizona is wonderful, east Texas too, Louisiana ain't bad but the humidity! Rural Arkansas is pretty once you're up in the hills. This is a great company - go south anywhere and you'll be happy.

Paula