Old 11-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
I live in Ontario Canada and have signed on with RV Care Avanners volunteer group they rebuild houses for Habitat for Humanity , they have lots of sites in the south looking for volunteers, and a lot of time they provide your camp ground spot.
There are also AS only parks that are very inexpensive. GO you'll find green grass somewhere !!!

Old 11-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #16
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
Just want to follow this one, i am headed into Arizona in the next two weeks....

Old 11-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
If you realy want to learn how to boondock go to Quartzsite AZ.You can boondock there for$180 for 7 months That gets you a place to get water and to dump.
Google it to see what goes on there.There are more things to do if your a doer or you can do nothing.
Quarzsite is never full at any time.
Read "Boondocking with Jimmini" under on the road. I have stuff about AZ camping
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
At $180 for 7 months you get what you pay for and not much more.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
We are still on the vertical learning curve in the realm of Airstream trips greater than two weeks.
Living in the northeaster part of the country winter usually begins in November and ends in March. We are considering Arizona preferring state, national parks and some boondocking.
For all you experienced snowbirds, guess I am looking for good expert tips from Airstreamers who have been or are going this winter. Maybe the topic should read Snowbirding to Southwest for dummies. Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
Noted many RV parks have full amenities but we would favor more natural settings and maybe a nice pool or lake ( despite the ongoing drought). We need to consider all our options and then begin to plan our escapee. We do not gulf but enjoy kayaking and hiking.
We are in FL for the winter, but we will travel back home a few times for holidays. People come and people go all year long, but the majority arrive after Christmas and stay until the end of March. In this area it's hard to find a long term camping spot unless you have reservations. I recommend choosing a destination then call ahead to make sure you have a place to stay.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hey if you can't leave yet, consider about moving your Airstream into storage somewhere a bit south of the usual snowline. I'd DREAD trying to leave after a bad snowstorm, though I pulled INTO one coming back from the Canopener a few years ago.

Arizona is wonderful, east Texas too, Louisiana ain't bad but the humidity! Rural Arkansas is pretty once you're up in the hills. This is a great company - go south anywhere and you'll be happy.

Paula
Old 11-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #21
AIR #6370

2001 27' Safari
Bella Vista , Arkansas
If you'r 62 or over, don't forget to use your Golden Age or Passport America card for use on BLM lands and National Parks. Also, some state parks will honor these cards. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsteader View Post
If you'r 62 or over, don't forget to use your Golden Age or Passport America card for use on BLM lands and National Parks. Also, some state parks will honor these cards. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Corps of Engineers campgrounds also accept the America the Beautiful Senior Pass (formerly Golden Age Passport) and Access Pass for half-price camping. And since full price is rarely more than $25 per night at CoE campgrounds, half price is SUCH a deal!

BTW, I don't think you meant "Passport America" card for BLM and National Parks. Passport America is a different thing altogether.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:36 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Corps of Engineers campgrounds also accept the America the Beautiful Senior Pass (formerly Golden Age Passport) and Access Pass for half-price camping. And since full price is rarely more than $25 per night at CoE campgrounds, half price is SUCH a deal!

BTW, I don't think you meant "Passport America" card for BLM and National Parks. Passport America is a different thing altogether.
Protagonist,
Would love to head south from PA and plan to stop in Georgia (probably coastline) and Louisiana and New Orleans on our way to AZ. Any specific tips for campgrounds would be greatly appreciated. Our new son-in-law worked a a chef in Cajun country until Hurricane Katrina hit and he headed back to CA. We do have Golden Age Passport but not Access Pass.
Noted some east coast state parks have seasonal//yearly passes which offer great discounts.
Our route will remain flexible until we receive MD good news in December but I prefer to get ahead of the wicked winter by planning our exit strategy.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:26 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Protagonist,
Would love to head south from PA and plan to stop in Georgia (probably coastline) and Louisiana and New Orleans on our way to AZ. Any specific tips for campgrounds would be greatly appreciated. Our new son-in-law worked a a chef in Cajun country until Hurricane Katrina hit and he headed back to CA. We do have Golden Age Passport but not Access Pass.
Noted some east coast state parks have seasonal//yearly passes which offer great discounts.
Our route will remain flexible until we receive MD good news in December but I prefer to get ahead of the wicked winter by planning our exit strategy.
My thoughts......hug the coastline heading south, see Charleston and Beaufort, SC, and St. Marys, GA, Savannah if you take a notion. If you are not a heat-seeker, the more moderate temps than PA will be comfortable.

James Island County Park near Charleston will give you 50% off if you stay a week in January or February, I believe. Charleston is a great area to explore, and this is a very nice park.

Make a stop at Edisto Beach SP south of Charleston, and stay in the beach campground, if you can. Even when cold, a beautiful, low-country, area.

Yo can get a ferry from St. Marys to north of St. Augustine, FL, and poke around that lovely town.

Get some oranges in Florida, skip the crowds and just start heading west along the Gulf. The panhandle is beautiful.

Don't skip Louisiana, the humidity isn't as bad in the winter , perhaps do the Great River Road and go to Natchitoches for the beauty of this town, history, historical sites. Love Natchitoches.

You will find plenty of vacancies in public campgrounds, and might run into Lily and I as we do the reverse of this route sometime after the first of the year.

Gulf Island National Seashore campgrounds (2) could be busy, but are worth an attempt.

Texas is not a bad destination, IMO.....the Gulf area, Padre Island NS, the Hill Country, great Tex-Mex.

Have fun, be flexible, keep fresh water and propane at good levels, and you will have everything you need, wherever you land....will look for you on the road.

Maggie
Old 11-07-2014, 06:33 AM   #25

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Would love to head south from PA and plan to stop in Georgia (probably coastline) and Louisiana and New Orleans on our way to AZ. Any specific tips for campgrounds would be greatly appreciated. Our new son-in-law worked a a chef in Cajun country until Hurricane Katrina hit and he headed back to CA.
Near New Orleans, I've stayed at all of these parks, and can recommend any of them. I've listed them in order of closest to farthest proximity to the French Quarter:
Bayou Segnette State Park, 13 miles;
St. Bernard State Park, 15 miles;
Fairview-Riverside State Park, 38 miles:
Buccaneer State Park in Mississippi, 56 miles;
Bogue Chitto State Park, 66 miles.

I haven't stayed at Fountainbleu State Park, 38 miles from the French Quarter, Tickfaw State Park, 65 miles from the French Quarter, or Grand Isle State Park, 111 miles from the French Quarter, but all three of those are on my "to do" list.

Unfortunately, there are no Corps of Engineers campgrounds within about 200 miles of New Orleans. Probably the closest is Twiltley Branch Campground on Okatibbee Lake in Mississippi, near the junction of I-59 and I-20 at Meridian, Mississippi.

However, on your way west, be sure to check out Sam Rayburn Lake in east Texas. Not only are there SIX CoE campgrounds on the shore of Sam Rayburn Lake (I've stayed at one, Mill Creek) but also an Airstream-only campground owned by one of the Texas WBCCI units. With so many campgrounds to choose from, you could rotate between them, two weeks at each, and spend three months without ever leaving that one lake! And because you can't stay a whole season at any one park, it's often overlooked by snowbirds who look to plant themselves in one park all winter long, so the parks are seldom full in winter.

Quote:
We do have Golden Age Passport but not Access Pass.
You don't need both. The Senior Pass (formerly Golden Age Passport) is for the "over 62" crowd. Access Pass is for handicapped/disabled of any age. Both are available free of charge at the office of most National Parks. Although Corps of Engineers accepts the passes, they can't issue the passes anymore.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 11-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Senior Passes are a $10, one time, fee, Protag.

Maggie
Old 11-07-2014, 06:40 AM   #27

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Senior Passes are a $10, one time, fee, Protag.
Sorry. You're right; I misremembered. The Access Passes are free, though, all you need is a State-issued handicapped ID to qualify.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 11-07-2014, 07:05 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Senior Passes are a $10, one time, fee,

Maggie