Old 05-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Is it just me?

We tried for weeks to get a reservation for Memorial Day weekend. We snagged one at Silver Springs State Park with 4 weeks to spare.
We arrived at 7:35 p.m. due to school schedules. When we arrived I asked the ranger if there were any walk-ups available. (I was just curious) He said no...all full, but as of the time we were checking in, there were 16 campers that had not checked in. We pulled into our site, with several empty sites around us. On Saturday, several of the empty sites filled up, but not all. One across from us remained empty the entire weekend.
Now I know emergencies happen, but it seems like every time we try to get into a Florida State Park, with few sites available, there are ALWAYS sites that go unused for the duration that we are there. I know some of the parks keep spots open for walk-ups, but it just seems like there are more empty sites than should be held open. This drives me crazy.....it is getting harder and harder to get into Fl. State Parks, and not having accurate / up to date info about available sites on Reserve America just doesn't seem right. We have seen this at many of the popular parks....and it keeps us home at times, when we have the opportunity to go camping. We do not have the luxury of planning way ahead because of my husband's work schedule! I am just curious about why this occurs ....

megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
No you are not alone.

We went into Denali one afternoon and asked if any sites were open. I was told no. We then spent the afternoon in the park and on our way out drove through the campground, 7 pm. 50% of the sites were empty. I went back to the ranges office and asked again. Again I was told they were full. If you have been camping for any length of time you will know how many campers would be checking into a park like Denali after 4 or 5 o clock.

As for other state parks I do know that they hold a few sites for the politically connected but not 50%. My favorite park in SC I know that one of those sites set aside is #24.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
It seems FL only collects the first night as a deposit, so an unclaimed multiday reservation should be available by checkout the next day. Indiana collects the whole stay as a deposit, which makes the empty sites on booked weekends a little more explainable.
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have also felt the same way but when I asked why the sites remained empty "I was told if the site was paid for (which most all sites are) in advance then they cannot be resold for fear the original camper may show up during that period. For instance I have booked a site in June but am unable to get there on the first day of our vacation. I would be very upset when I get there the next day to fine my site has been resold especially since I paid for the whole week.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Yes, I understand and agree that if something caused us to be delayed in arriving to our destination, I would
Hope that there would not be someone else in our spot. But, there should be a way to call the campground and HOLD a vacant spot until we arrive. You can call ahead, and inquire about sites, but the campground will not hold it for you. That stinks! We were on our way home from Georgia during Christmas break, and called ahead to a park just inside the Florida line. There was one spot left. We were about an hour and a half away. We got caught up in traffic as a result of a terrible car accident on 75 and did not make it to the park until almost three hours later. As luck would have it, another camper had JUST pulled in right ahead of us and got that last site.
We ended up at a rest stop for the night! I guess if this is all I have to complain about, I'm doing ok.......
Old 05-29-2014, 02:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I think when a person who paid money and is a no-show and never bothered to call and cancel or get a refund the site just sits there unoccupied. What a waste.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:14 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Before our most recent stay at Ft Clinch State Park we received a call from the ranger's office a week or so in advance informing us that if we did not check into our site the day of the reservation or call them that our site would be used for drive-ups.

Maybe the state is starting to fix the problem.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbcpa View Post
Before our most recent stay at Ft Clinch State Park we received a call from the ranger's office a week or so in advance informing us that if we did not check into our site the day of the reservation or call them that our site would be used for drive-ups.

Very Interesting. Was the site prepaid?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Yes, the site was prepaid for a week's stay.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
I think the first lesson we learned, was never camp on Memorial Day or Labor Day weekends. Too many people! We did it once and never again. But I did enjoy watching all the people who looked like they never camped before, or backed a trailer, or dumped a tank!

The problem is the site is sold and paid for, and the person didn't cancel in time to get the site back in the system. So it's win for the State and Reserve America, but looser are campers like us, who want that site.

Damon
Old 05-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We stayed at a full campground that was very peaceful and quiet. We will stay there again 4th of July and Labor Day.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbcpa View Post

I have gotten the impression, from some of the rangers we have spoken to at the different parks, that Reserve America is part of the problem. Before Reserve America took over, campers dealt directly with the state parks. Now you have to deal with the online reservation cr-p. (Which can really be a pain at times!)
Old 05-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbeals View Post
I think the first lesson we learned, was never camp on Memorial Day or Labor Day weekends. Too many people! We did it once and never again. But I did enjoy watching all the people who looked like they never camped before, or backed a trailer, or dumped a tank!

The problem is the site is sold and paid for, and the person didn't cancel in time to get the site back in the system. So it's win for the State and Reserve America, but looser are campers like us, who want that site.

Damon

Makes sense to me...but you are right, we are the losers in this situation. Maybe they need to come up with some kind of penalty/reward system that is tougher than just losing one night's deposit. Reward.....one free night at the park of your choice after x amount of reservations without a cancellation/no show.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:33 AM   #14

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
In KS the rules are that if you don't check in the first night you loose your spot and get charged one full day. They even send a pre registration form the week before to remind you. It seems like a waste to let the spot remain empty for a whole weekend.

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote