Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2002, 08:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
Is a Hensley overkill for a 22' trailer?

I currently pull our '67 Safari(22 footer)with a Yukon Denali and a basic sort of hitch set-up(no anti-sway bar though).

So far,knock on wood,no troubles.Have felt the wind gusts from the odd Semi going by,but nothing overly scary yet.Key word?...."YET".I am wondering if I should invest in a Hensley..I have viewed the Hensley video and am convinced it is as good as they say.I have spoken to several Airstreamers who swear by their Hensleys,but they were all towing longer,newer units which weigh a lot more than mine does.

That said,the cost of the Hensley is making me think twice.They cost a pretty penny.However,you can't put a price on safety.

Just wondering if any of you use one to pull a shorter,relatively lighter unit such as I have?Any feedback would be appreciated as it will really help in making my decision.
Charcigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 09:13 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I would recommend spending the money on the anti sway dampener and save the money you would spend on the Hensley for another project. If you feel the semi's a little bit the anti sway will make it all but go away. The anti sway should not just be something used for more comfortable towing, but as a safety device as well. If you talk to folks who have rolled a trailer, many had not been towing with an anti sway dampener. Think of it as a seatbelt for your trailer. It has a benefit every day, but could save you from having a really bad experience. Just my $.02 worth.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 09:41 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Not necessary (IMHO)

I would suggext a sway control bar, though.

I pull my 22' International, which is almost the same as your trailer , with a Chevy 1500 extended-cab pickup. I have an equalizing hitch and a Reese sway bar. Even in a hard crosswind, I feel almost no effect from a passing semi.

I have never felt the least tendency to sway, with or without the sway bar. I think the Hensley is total overkill for a trailer this size. The penalty is not only the rediculous cost, but also a lot more trouble hooking up.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 10:09 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
sway control

I think adding sway control would be adding an extra margin of safety for yourself & your trailer, it would'nt hurt to have it. If you put a friction sway bar on it would cost a little over $100 vs. about $3,000.00 for the Hensley. If you decide on a weight distributing hitch with sway control I recently got an Equal-i-zer hitch (www.equalizerhitch.com) for my 27' after looking at several makes including the hensley and am very happy with it and I saved about $2400 over the hensley.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 10:42 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Get hitched

I tow my 71 25ft Trade Wind with a load equalizer by eaz-lift, and it works great. On the advice of members of this forum, I will buy a sway control this week, even though I have not had any serious sway problems whatsoever. But why wait? If I had your setup, then I would get an equalizer hitch and a simple sway control and call it a day. Never mind the big $$ Hensley for your light rig.
Old 08-01-2002, 07:26 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Hitch components can move from trailer to trailer so if you decide to go with the Hensley, you can move it to your next Airstream .

I'm using a Reese dual cam sway control hitch and while I have made some changes over the years, the adjustable hitch component is still the same one that I bought in 1982 when I bought my first travel trailer. Due to larger and heavier trailers I needed to replace the ball, spring bars, and added the dual cam sway control.

I would strongly urge you to add a sway control component to your hitch. You didn't give much information regarding what is a "basic hitch" setup. Do you have an equalizing hitch or do you just drop your Safari on the hitch ball move on?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 08:02 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
Yes,I am currently using an equalizing hitch,but no sway control.

I keep wavering back and forth on the Hensley.Did some research on the "Equal-izer"brand hitch though,and that one looks quite good for the price.

Decisions,decisions!
Charcigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 08:08 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I got the video tape and they make a pretty convincing sales job. I probably will seriously consider a Hensley at retirement and with the expectation of a lot more travel. Right now the Reese dual cam works great and with one weekend trip a month (April-October) and one or two longer trips (1-2 weeks) a year we really aren't on the road that much to justify that kind of investment.

You might also watch ebay. Once in a while you will find a posting of someone selling one.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 04:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Reese Dual Cam

I have the Reese Dual Cam Sway control hitch for pulling an 1984-31 ft Excella with a 2 door Yukon 4x4.
I have never felt any sway from a passing semi, or a 50 mph gust front from a Texas thunderstorm despite towing a 31 footer with a short wheelbase Yukon.
The Reese is well worth the money and about $2300 less expensive than a Hensley.
They are a little trouble to initially set up and adjust so that you have the cams sitting exactly on the saddles...but after that..towing is a breeze.
Just my 2 cents worth.
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 09:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
The Hensley Arrow was one of the subjects discussed on RV Today on OLN. They had a trailer hooked up to a newer Cadillac and Jeri Sager drove it. She reported that it was smooth. I've watched the show and they seem to push a number of Camping World products. From every other report I have read, they were right on when it came to the Hensley. It sure looks easy to hook up since most of the unit stays coupled to the trailer coupling. The older gentlemen who owned the Cadillac, trailer and Hensley said that was something he liked.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 06:28 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Having just returned from a 6,000 mile trip over three a three week period, I can say, without reservation, the Hensley works flawlessly. And having used a conventional hitch, and a pullrite in the past, the Hensley is much easier to hitch up.

The hitch really cames into it's own when crossing eastern Colorado on two lane highways that have no gravel burms on the right and we had a strong crosswind from the left side. The trailer never waged, its as if our tow vehicle and trailer were one solid, continous unit.

I believe Airstream should follow the lead from Sunnybrook and offer the Hensley as an option on the purchase of a new trailer.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 08-07-2002, 08:59 AM   #12
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
$$

I guess it's a question of finances. I hear nothing but good things about the Hensley Hitch System. Only drawback is the very high price.
I believe tha the Equal-i-zer or other comparable hitches with sway controls work very well, ( tried a friend's), at substantially less cost.
If money was abundant, I'd get the Hensley. Otherwise, get a good sway control for your existing hitch. Especially since you have a relatively light trailer and a good and heavy tow vehicle.