Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2003, 02:00 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Is a CB radio a Necessity?

Question,

Being that I am new to the RVing world, I was wondering if a CB radio is something I should have or just a toy that would take up space in my truck.

With pretty much everyone having a mobile phone and many of the people having those walkie talkies, is a CB a good thing to have or a thing of the past?

All comments are appreciated.
joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 06:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I've had one for years in my truck. They are great for getting directions or finding out what the traffic conditions ahead are. They are also fun to just chat for free with different people as you travel through new areas. Some colorful characters out on the road, and it makes the time go faster.

Many times I have been stuck in bumper to bumper on the interstate, and I just monitor the truckers channel (19) and find out what lane the accident or breakdown is in long before I get close, or even have a chance to turn off. Very handy.

I also have a Cobra hand held for when I get to the campsite. It is good to use when backing up with someone guiding on the hand held. A lot of people use those two ways which are nice also, but they won't be as much fun when you are traveling.

The hand held can be given to someone following you to communicate with. When I bought my trailer, since I was unsure of how the trip would go for the 60 miles I had to move it, I had a buddy of mine following me with my hand held CB letting me know how the tires were doing, or if things were falling off the trailer! Peace of mind.

I highly recommend one.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 06:34 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Funny,
I am of the opposite school, I pulled mine out years ago, got tired of the foul language and bad manners from a lot of people on the CB. Used to use it for emergencies, one of the last times I used it was in an attempt to call for assistance at the scene of an accident, some idiot was running a linear and we couldn't get thru on the 3 designated channels. Ended up sending someone up the road to a pay phone to call 911. This was before cell phones became readily available. The new units are pretty compact so I guess if you wanted to try one in the truck it wouldn't hurt. As far as backing up, we have used the FRS but unfortunately they are going the way of the CB. We have a pre arranged set of hand signals, that pretty well work for us

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 06:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Is a CB radio a Necessity?

Greetings Joshua!

I pulled the CBs out of my vehicles in 1992 when I purchased my first Cellular telephone and never looked back - - - until I began traveling with the WBCCI in 1998. I now have a "portable" CB that comes out whenever I am participating in a WBCCI or VAC Caravan or for use at the larger Rallys where much of the "latest" information is broadcast via the CB. On most WBCCI Caravans that I have participated in, the communications while traveling is facilitated by the CB. Other than those two times, the CB sits on a shelf in the garage gathering dust. (I do have a CB semi-permanently installed in my Overlander as it had a factory installed whip antenna that works perfectly with the CB - - it greatly helps in receiving the daily announcements at the larger Rallys.)

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 08:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
In my opinion, yes, a CB is necessary. If you attend WBCCI rallys, it's good to have one in the trailer to pick up daily announcements. They are also used on caravans and on side trips from the rally. I also use them on the highway for non-Airstream trips, and when towing the boat. They're still good for Smokey reports and traffic conditions, as well as interesting diversion.

However, I did NOT wish to have one permanently mounted in my new truck, nor have a CB antenna to deal with at car washes. For that reason, I ordered a handheld CB/WeatherRadio from Cobra, and use it with a Wilson Little Wil magnetic mount antenna. The rubber ducky antennas just plain suck. I reach through the rear window to place or remove the antenna on the truck roof, then run the cable down between the rear of the cab and the bed, and into the bottom of the rear door.

HH 38 WX ST Radio

It comes with a cigarette lighter power adapter, but without batteries. To date, I have not purchased NiMH rechargable batteries for it. It can scan two channels simultaneously, 14 for WBCCI and 19 for the highway.

AC Charger

BNC to SO-239 antenna adapter

Required to connect a CB antenna's PL-259 connector to the BNC antenna connector on a handheld.

Wilson Little Wil antenna

Sold at truck stops and CB radio shops. Highly rated, and performs very well out on the road. Makes a 7' tall truck slightly higher than the airconditioner on an Airstream. Good for testing overhead obstacles.

I have not put a CB antenna on the Airstream as many WBCCI members have. It seems to be popular to mount it on the fin between the airconditioner and refrigerator exhaust, and run the cabling down the latter to inside the trailer.

Hope this helps,
Old 11-14-2003, 09:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Necessary - no, Useful - yes

I'm on the pro side.

For the reasons most of the "pro" members have posted.

Truckers have a great knowledge of directions, route alternatives, desirable fuel depots, and upcoming highway conditions.

Also, have found it very helpful whenever traveling with someone and in tight parking situations (we carry a handheld to communicate with the permanent mounted unit when parking).
Not absolutely required, but adds another level of "comfort factor".

Also, a lot of camping and travel situations are not within range of cellular towers.

Mine also has the national weather broadcast channels. This is s feature I would recommend.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 03:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Consider Amateur Radio

Mary (KD4WFA) and I (KR4K) are both ham radio operators. Our son Gus (kf6jdc) and daughter Melissa (kg6hzx) are also ham operators. You can now get your ham license with only a 50 question test, no morse code requirement. Exams are given in most areas at least monthly with many metro areas every weekend.

We use our ham radio gear when backing the trailer, checking lights, while traveling, and during emergencies. The country is blanketed with amateur radio repeaters, some of which allow you to talk from a handheld into many states. We've run into many truckers who are now hams.

We have a handheld CB/WX radio ONLY for rallies or caravans, but we rarely turn it on.

You can always find someone when you need help, and there are many, many benefits you won't find on CB, FRS, or GMRS. When in San Diego several weeks ago, we counted 5 vehicles in the KOA with amateur radio license tags. we also listened into the amateur radio emergency operations supporting the fire fighting efforts.

You won't hear the foul language and improper operations.

We've run into many Airstreamers who also enjoy ham radio. There's a WBCCI amateur radio organization:
http://www.rvweb.net/club/wbcciarc/

For more information, drop me a line, or check out http://www.arrl.org.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 07:38 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Thanks for all of your comments. I am going to pick up a portable unit and use it in conjunction with my cell when traveling. From your comments, I realized that although it is not a complete necessity, it can definitely be a very valuable tool

Once again, I appreciate all of your input.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
When I bought my MH in August, the CB was working but couldn't get good reception. Heard alot of static and only two people talking alot of crap (this was in WA) on one channel. I tried to talk on it by copying Burt Reynolds in Smokey and the Bandit, and they wouldn't return my calls. I was hoping to get someone as attractive as Sally Field (yes I think she's hot) to reply. Nothing!
So, now it's on the blink and I don't think I will replace it (YET), because I never really needed it. But I think I may later just for emergencies, although the ham license seems to be a good idea. IO have a cell, but the charges are high on my plan so that is for EXTREME situations.
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 05:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Well, you can't have too many toys to distract you when you're driving, that's what I always say. That way, when you crash into a tree, you'll have something to blame besides your own stupidity!!

Just got back from a five-hour trip to Mexcio with some friends - the cell phones don't work reliably in the boonies, and not at all in Mexico. FRS might work, but probably not out of a vehicle, and you can get separated a fair distance pretty quick when you're moving.

If you're gonna get a CB, for goodness' sake, do some research first. The Little Wil antenna mentioned above is the best removable antenna you can get. Get an SWR meter somewhere for ten bucks and use it. Learn about antenna placement and ground planes. This stuff is just not that complicated - all you need to do is read and follow the instructions.

Make sure your radio sounds good, and you're not just trashing up the air with unintelligible static. If you wanna see some good radios, go to a truck stop! I stopped at a "Loves" and they had a killer selection. Please do not buy the cheapest one you can get - it may be me having to listen to you some day!!!

Me, I'm running an "export" radio by Galaxy, puts out maybe 4-5 watts more than the usual CB, not enough to blow your ears off, but enough to be heard.

The linears usually stay home, unless I'm really headed for the boonies in Mexico all by myself. Then I take all the power I can get.

-Don
Old 11-15-2003, 06:54 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

For all the "Good Buddies" out there w/o CB radio === you are the RV'ers I try to talk to as you fly down the hiway with your TV antenna up, stairs out, etc.

Cell phones are great (wife and I each have one) - but how can we contact you on the road?

Sure, there are some foul mouth dummies - but I turn them off for a few minutes as they soon pass --- I have talked to a lot of good folks as we travel, and as has been mentioned the safety issues are enough for me to have my radio on.

Just my $.02

don
Old 11-16-2003, 08:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Don in E Texas

Don:

Just wondering, how many kilowatts is the Orange Behemoth capable of putting out?

Don't want you to put yourself in harm's way with a reply.....just click the mike once for one, twice for two, etc.......

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 08:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
CB nessessity

Help me! I'm broke down in Gilmer Texas, and the CB won't work because someone is clicking their mike continuously for the last half hour.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 07:59 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Recently returned from a 4000 mile trip thru Wisc, Ill,Ind,Oh,WV,Vi & had our CB on all the time. Usually have it along on all road trips & won't go with-out it, as it has saved us many times from road back-ups, etc. While there are MANY foul mouths etc, we just turn it down, till they pass thru. Also sometimes we're lucky enough to make contact with other AS passing thru. What we find is that the language seems to be much better during the day, than late at night, then it's atrocious.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 11:40 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Since I have now purchased my CB, I must ask, is there one or two best channels to monitor or keep on while driving?
Old 11-17-2003, 03:27 AM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Joshua,
19 is the "truckers" channel, that is the one most people use when on the road. Some states monitor specific channels for high way emergencies. My understanding is that most if not all Air Stream Caravans use channel 14 and apparently quite a few monitor it when traveling. Channel 9 is considered the universal emergency channel. Which CB unit did you end up with? I am considering buying another unit, probably a hand held so I don't have to permanently mount it in my truck.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 05:47 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

CB is just legal rig purchased by my wife last Christmas -- but then I do run over 100 watts on my Ham rig <grin>..

K5IEC

(no, I do not have my Ham gear in the truck. Much too distracting to operate Ham radio and safely drive the Orange Monster. CB on the other hand, is no problem with distractions.

don
Old 11-17-2003, 06:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Just for fun, a few years ago I picked up an external speaker that I mounted on the wheel well under the hood. $8 at Radio Shack. It is hooked in to the PA connection of the CB. I don't really have any use for it, but my son has had fun with it when stopped at a light. He makes strange noises and gets funny looks from people trying to figure out where it is coming from, in addition to practicing to become a tour guide at Busch Gardens. My favorite use for it is at the drive through of the fast food places. I intentionally garble my order very loud and confuse the order taker. Oh, and if it is raining and you don't want to open your window, just use the PA!

I suppose some practical uses would be if you needed to call for help, call out for a lost dog or child. Want to tell that $%#$@ driver in front of you what you think. (Good chance you will get shot or arrested though.)

I believe all of the "real" reasons for having one have been mentioned.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 07:28 AM   #19
79 SLY

1979 31' Sovereign
Fairview , Montana

One in the cab, one in the AS,(I like the installation idea!) one hand held and one in the slide in for the kids when they are back there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nu9-1.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	3856  
trumpwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 07:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
cb unit

I have the handheld Cobra which I like cause I can take it out & not worry about theft. However, the window mount antenna gave me less than impressive range. If you're caravanning close together it is probably fine. If you want to pull down signal from a few miles down the road then the performance is spotty. It also didn't help that Camping World installed the unit for me (along with the brake controller) and when I hit my first rain storm I turned on the wipers, the wiper hit the antenna & broke. So I had a poor functioning antenna and a non-functioning wiper. Pulled to the side of the road, pried the antenna off, took the right hand wiper and duct-taped it on the driver side wiper arm until I could find a replacement. There is a good website that compares antennas and CB units with some excellent advice on what to look for. You'll have to search, I can't remember the link. I'm going to install a hardwired mount on the front bumper or in the hood groove further back. I'll just unscrew the antenna when not in use.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote