Old 11-16-2003, 11:40 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
Since I have now purchased my CB, I must ask, is there one or two best channels to monitor or keep on while driving?

joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 03:27 AM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
19 is the "truckers" channel, that is the one most people use when on the road. Some states monitor specific channels for high way emergencies. My understanding is that most if not all Air Stream Caravans use channel 14 and apparently quite a few monitor it when traveling. Channel 9 is considered the universal emergency channel. Which CB unit did you end up with? I am considering buying another unit, probably a hand held so I don't have to permanently mount it in my truck.

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 05:47 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

CB is just legal rig purchased by my wife last Christmas -- but then I do run over 100 watts on my Ham rig <grin>..

(no, I do not have my Ham gear in the truck. Much too distracting to operate Ham radio and safely drive the Orange Monster. CB on the other hand, is no problem with distractions.

Don in E Texas
Don in E Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 06:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Just for fun, a few years ago I picked up an external speaker that I mounted on the wheel well under the hood. $8 at Radio Shack. It is hooked in to the PA connection of the CB. I don't really have any use for it, but my son has had fun with it when stopped at a light. He makes strange noises and gets funny looks from people trying to figure out where it is coming from, in addition to practicing to become a tour guide at Busch Gardens. My favorite use for it is at the drive through of the fast food places. I intentionally garble my order very loud and confuse the order taker. Oh, and if it is raining and you don't want to open your window, just use the PA!

I suppose some practical uses would be if you needed to call for help, call out for a lost dog or child. Want to tell that $%#$@ driver in front of you what you think. (Good chance you will get shot or arrested though.)

I believe all of the "real" reasons for having one have been mentioned.
My 77 Sovereign Renovation
Out in the woods, or in the city, It's all the same to me.
When I'm drivin' free, the world's my home....When I'm mobile.

Sneakinup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 07:28 AM   #19
79 SLY
1979 31' Sovereign
Fairview , Montana

One in the cab, one in the AS,(I like the installation idea!) one hand held and one in the slide in for the kids when they are back there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nu9-1.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	3856  
The Trumpowers
1979 SLY 31'
1979 GMC 4 door with s/c camper shell
trumpwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 07:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master
2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
cb unit

I have the handheld Cobra which I like cause I can take it out & not worry about theft. However, the window mount antenna gave me less than impressive range. If you're caravanning close together it is probably fine. If you want to pull down signal from a few miles down the road then the performance is spotty. It also didn't help that Camping World installed the unit for me (along with the brake controller) and when I hit my first rain storm I turned on the wipers, the wiper hit the antenna & broke. So I had a poor functioning antenna and a non-functioning wiper. Pulled to the side of the road, pried the antenna off, took the right hand wiper and duct-taped it on the driver side wiper arm until I could find a replacement. There is a good website that compares antennas and CB units with some excellent advice on what to look for. You'll have to search, I can't remember the link. I'm going to install a hardwired mount on the front bumper or in the hood groove further back. I'll just unscrew the antenna when not in use.

"would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?"

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote