Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Tewksbury , Massachusetts
Is 95 through NYC a good route?

I have three days to get from Boston area to Virginia Beach. I have already ben told I can not take the Chesapeake Bay bridge since my propane tank is 90 pounds, so I have to come in 64 from Richmond. Is it better to take 95 south through NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore and DC (Gag) or take the long way around on 81? Do you travel in the daytime or is it better at night? I see there are very few campgrounds along that stretch. What do all the snowbirds do? Any help would be appreciated.
libbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Take the long way around. 95 through most major cities is a pain. especially when towing.
whats up with 90#s propane? I have two 40s and wanted to take the bridge on my way south next winter.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I've never heard of such a thing about the propane tank. What is your source?

and what kind of camper has a 90# tank? I'll be glad to check for any regulations, but first I'd like to understand that.

Pat

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Well, if you have only one 90# tank, then you cannot use the tunnel, as you said. Are you sure that is what you have?

Maximum capacity: (a) Not more than two non-permanently mounted containers having maximum individual capacity of 105 pounds water capacity or 45 pounds LP-Gas each, or one container having maximum capacity of 60 pounds LP-Gas, or (b) not more than two permanently mounted containers having maximum total capacity of 200 gallons water capacity LP-Gas when used as a motor fuel. Tanks must meet the approved standards of the Department of Transportation and are subject to inspection at toll plaza. They must be properly secured and valves closed while crossing the facility.
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Travel tip

We travel Boston to points south often. We DO NOT go through tunnels or over bridges where HZMAT signs are posted, ie; Washington DC or Baltimore or the lower level of the George Washington Bridge in NYC.

You can take 95 North to the NJ Turnpike, then 287 North to just above NYC to cut out bad roads and to have less traffic.

We take 287 to 87 to 84 to the MA Turnpike. It looks longer, but the time is just about the same and the roads are much better.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
I would take Pam's advice, to the letter.

Two weeks ago we traveled from Boston south. Because we stopped in Jersey City for the NYC fireworks, we ended up taking the NJ Turnpike south. Now given we were towing a three axle 34', we must have spent $50 on tolls between NJ, MD, etc. on that section of road - from Jersey City south. Ouch!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Oh, and did I mention it took us a good two hours + to get across the Cross Bronx Expressway (95)? Awful.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
I've traveled the Va Beach route many, many time over the years and, quite honestly, I've gone thru NYC on I-95 just twice. For more times than I care to remember, I've taken the TZ Bridge with white, hot knuckles. No more~!
Libbysmom, the route I take is so close to Pam's. An excellent choice.
I can offer another route that will save you money.
We live close enough that you can modify it to suit your local route.
Out of Southern NH, I take RT13 down to RT2 and swicth over to I-190 South to I-290/390 in Worchester, till I get to the exit for the Mass Pike heading West. Stay on Mass Pike for approx 11 miles and, then exit at I-84 to/thru Hardford, Ct. (first toll) Enjoy this trip segment as, you're on I-84 till you get to I-81 just outside of Scranton, PA. Tricky cut-off at this junctions puts you heading North till you come upon I-81.(Stay in the left hand lane for this) Once you're on I-81..It's just head SOUTH. I usually get off at the FLYING J RV STOP in Carlisle, PA. (I-81 Exit 52/I-76 & Exit 226
Phone: (717) 243-6659 | Permit Fax: (717) 243-2510) Nice clean place to gas up, eat or spend the night for free. dump station, propane, water, rv supplies(limited) Once back on I-81, continue traveling South till you're in Va. I take the Front Royal exit off of I-81 onto I-66.(Again, stay in the far left hand lane for this exit miles before you get there~!) After traveling East on I-66, you'll come to exit 28 for RT-17 to Warrenton,Va. Stay on this all the way to I-95 just North of Fredericksburg, Va. Another FLYING J is just South of Fredericksburg at exit 104, Carmel Church.(I-95 Exit 104
Phone: (804) 448-9047 | Permit Fax: (804) 448-9805 ) Once you get on the by pass just North of Richmond, you'll find yourself switching over to I-64 South toward Williamsburg, Hanpton Road area. This secton of I-64 gets really tough during rush hours.(Seems to exist 24/7) Mostly due to traffic coming out of NASA, etc. It's at this point of your trip South that you WILL BE required to stop to verify that you have your propane tanks shut off. So, stay in the right hand lane and, be prepared for the verification. Once thru this tunnel/bridge, you will travel till you see the Va Beach exit for I-264. Be careful here.. You will want to be in the right hand lane but be aware that the proper exit is in the left hand lane of the right hand exit.(Got me??) You will know if you got the right one as it takes you up, up and around toward your left. Dropping you onto I-264..Watch for merging oncoming traffic~at this point. Depending on just where in Va Beach you plan to go? I would think you'd find Birdneck Road (exit 22) to be your best exit for the nearest camping grounds on General Booth Blvd and, several on Sandbridge Road.
I'll be down there soon~
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:43 AM   #9
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Yes take 95 all the way, the trick is not to hit the cross Bronx Xprssway between 7-10AM. or late afternoon is bad also.
I would leave Boston early, get to the GWB late morning.
You

But if it happens not that big a deal expect a 20-30 min delay.

After you get over the GWB take the Express lanes to I95 NY turnpike , a lot of signs, after 5 miles you bear over to the right, you'll see it. (get gas on the NJTPK) (or exit 7b)

TAke 95 S until you get north of Baltimore, then take the beltway 695 west around and back on 95, the beltway goes fast.

Then look look for the beltway around Wash DC rt495, I go east then you're in VA. Don't hit that road at rush hour and you'll fly thru.

From the GWB it is about 5 hours to VA.

I've done all the other routes ONCE, way too slow for me.

95 is best route IMO.

Fredricksberg VA has a nice KOA.

You also can do this, after the GWB, instead of 95S take the Garden State Pkwy, yes you can go on it, great road, south to Cape May stay at the Airstream park with a pool, $22.
Then get back on 95 S.

From Boston two days should do it!

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:03 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Libbysmom, I guess it comes down to 1) how fast you want to get there, 2) how much do you want to pay (toll-wise). If you are in no big hurry, take the scenic route described by Pam (better travel roads, save a few dollars). If you gotta be there YESTERDAY, take 95 like LI Pets recommends. Be advised, driving on/through NYC via the Interstates is no fun and dragging a trailer will be even less fun. Don't forget to tap your Home Equity Line-of-Credit so you can pay the highway robbers (tolls) along the way!
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:39 AM   #11
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Hey now, driving thu NYC is fun, really it is only a 5 mile stretch that's bad.

No tolls on the GWB headed south.

I have an Ez pass so I don't pay attention to the tolls that much, but I guess it's $20 from Boston.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by libbysmom
I have three days to get from Boston area to Virginia Beach. I have already ben told I can not take the Chesapeake Bay bridge since my propane tank is 90 pounds, so I have to come in 64 from Richmond. Is it better to take 95 south through NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore and DC (Gag) or take the long way around on 81? Do you travel in the daytime or is it better at night? I see there are very few campgrounds along that stretch. What do all the snowbirds do? Any help would be appreciated.
I have crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge several times with two 40 lb tanks without a problem. Once we even called them to make sure, and they said to make sure the tanks were turned off, and made no mention of tank capacity. When crossing, no one asked about or checked the status of the tanks.

If you must take I-95, when you go through Delaware (after paying the exorbitant toll-I believe it just went up to $4 for 11 scenic miles of travel ) , you may want to consider taking Rt. 301 South to Rt. 50, then west to the DC beltway. That way, you will miss all that white-knuckle fun around Baltimore, and some of the DC beltway.

This year, we crossed the Bay Bridge-Tunnel and traveled south through Norfolk to get to the International, and for a change of scenery, we took I-95 all the way back. Big mistake. In my opinion the stretch of I-95 between Fredericksburg and Washington are some of the worst I have traveled... rough roads, under construction, wall to wall trucks, and bumper to bumper during mid-day. I suppose it was no coincidence that we only saw one other camper the entire time (a southbound Casita).

Which ever way you decide, be safe.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
The tolls are a killer

Several years ago, I pulled a single axle camping trailer on I-95 from Baltimore, MD to Mystic, CT with a brief stop at Liberty SP. The trip took a whole day. The traffic was bad. I paid $67.00 in tolls.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:05 AM   #14
Certifiable

. , .
IMO, timing is the key if you want to use 95. We went from Easton, CT to Hershey, PA this past weekend using 95. We left Easton at 2:00 p.m. Friday and we were on top of the GW Bridge at 6:00 p.m. Four bloody hours! I've traveled faster in blizzards! Coming back, same route, it took me 1 hour exactly from the top of the GWB to Easton. Those hours were 8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. on a Monday.

My biggest mistake was thinking a 2:00 p.m. departure would get me thru before rush hour started.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:22 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
95 through NYC is OK on weekends but I would avoid it on a weekday.

84 -> 684 -> 287 -> Garden State Parkway -> 95 is a good alternative if you are not particularly toll sensitive. You can also stay on 287 and take the loop into western NJ and back but I find the extra miles too painful (but I pay single axle trailer tolls). Note that the Tappan Zee bridge (287 across the hudson) can be a parking lot - you don't want to go south/west bound during the evening commute.

Actually my big piece of advise would be to see if you can get someone to rent/loan you a smaller propane tank. Going south through Del/Mar/Vir is a lot nicer and shorter than dealing with Baltimore/Wash/Richmond.
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
If you don't mind traveling at night it is by far better traffic wise .Two or Three in the morning you can go thru most of the problem areas easily. To avoid the NYC area take I 84 to the NY thruway , I 87 . Take I 87 south to I 287 south . This will skirt all of the conjested part of NYC and NJ and join back into I 95 . It will add a few miles but much nicer road and less traffic . The Del/MAR/VA peninsular is more direct and again , nicer ride . I can't help on the regulations for the bridge . Have fun
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:40 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Tewksbury , Massachusetts
Thank you all for your help. I think I will feel better taking the long way around the cities. We are staying at General Booth Trav-L Park as Joe is doing a marathon in Virginia Beach on Labor Day. Then we go on to GA, TN, KY, OH, NY. Any suggestions of things we absolutely need to see would be appreciated., as well as campgrounds to stay away from! BTW, we are driving a 2005 Landyacht and towing a Saturn. I'd give you my WBCCI # but it hasn't arrived yet
libbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:32 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by libbysmom
Thank you all for your help. I think I will feel better taking the long way around the cities. We are staying at General Booth Trav-L Park as Joe is doing a marathon in Virginia Beach on Labor Day. Then we go on to GA, TN, KY, OH, NY. Any suggestions of things we absolutely need to see would be appreciated., as well as campgrounds to stay away from! BTW, we are driving a 2005 Landyacht and towing a Saturn. I'd give you my WBCCI # but it hasn't arrived yet
That would be the "Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon" if I am not mistaken. Either way, let us know how you like the Trav-L Park down there.
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #19
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Some of the Stone Mountain, Georgia camp sites are good some are real cliff hangers...literally. But in general it is a nice camp ground convenient to most of what Atlanta has to offer. I haven't stayed there but my brother-in-law has and recommends Stone Mt. Park. You don't want to stay at any of the camp grounds near Six Flags.

Franklin D. Roosevelt State Park in Pine Mountain, GA is a really nice State Park. It is near the "Little White House" museum and very near Calloway Gardens. It is an hour-and-a-half or so south of Atlanta. Great programs on the weekends and has catch and release fishing. There is also nearby horse back riding and a nearby wild animal park.

McKinney State Park has hosted several forum rallies and is thought highly of by many on this forum and is located half to three quarters of an hour north of Atlanta on I-75. In the North Georgia Mountains, there is "Top-of-Georgia Airstream Park". You have to be a member of WBCCI to stay there, but for $7/night with cable and WI-FI, you can't beat it. There are no other amenities there, but it is near Helen, GA and doesn't require reservations. Helen is a picturesque alpine village in the N. GA Mountains. There are lots of shops and restaurants there. On the other side of the mountains on the TN/GA boarder is the N. GA Fairgrounds. This campground is on a lake and offers beautiful views from its water front sites. It is near Helen and the town of Hiawasee, GA.

It just depends on how far into Georgia you plan on going. Those are the only campgrounds I am familiar enough with to comment on. Hope you enjoy your trip to our fair state. If you head farther south, say to Jekyll Island or to Valdosta for Wild Adventures, let me know.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:48 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Placitas , New Mexico
Might I suggest I-90 (Mass Pike) west over to I-87 (NY Thruway) south to I-287 South to I-95 / NJ Turnpike south.....cross the Delaware Memorial bridge and take US 301 south. Cross the Cheaspeake Bay at Annapolis and then stay south on 301, cross the Potomac (bridge is a little narrow, but 102" wide tractor trailers use it all the time.) There's a really good seafood restaurant in MD a couple of miles west of 301 and 5 or so miles before you get to the Potomac bridge.It's right there on the river. I've taken tractor trailers down there before and had no trouble turning around or parking. When you get to Port Royal, VA, go south on US 17. Unless you absolutely must go through Hartford or New Haven or NYC or Philadelphia or Baltimore or DC, this is a pretty good, well-traveled route.
JakBluMule is offline   Reply With Quote