Old 08-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member
1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Hey guys,every state is different when it comes to tolls Some charge by the number of axels on the ground,some by your total weight.Also the best way to avoid northern Va/D.C./De, traffic hassles is to run hwy 301. Start/end 301 at Ruther Glen,Va all the way to the start/end at I-95 in De.Always make sure you have plenty of fuel,gas stations are few and far between on 301... Brian

wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:42 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Tewksbury , Massachusetts
Cool Is 95 through NYC a good route?

Thank you to all for your assistance in driving directions to Virginia Beach. First of all, we almost made it without hitting a tunnel - if you recall, I have a 90 LB propane tank in my Landyacht. I was within 20 miles of my destination and zigged when I should of zagged. James River Bridge (17) to 264 and then I should of taken 64 down to Chesapeake to avoid last tunnel. I think the guard felt bad since I went nuts when the tunnel appeared - HOW DID THIS HAPPEN - and he let us shut off the propane and go through anyway.
Holiday Trav-L Park is great except for a family that keeps leaving their yipping puppy zipped in their tent and going off for hours, but they are leaving today, Yeah! The super sites look great and I will try one of those if we are ever again in the area. But our site is roomy enough and level which is what I look for. The trolley even provided a free shuttle for the marathon participants to the starting gate at 6AM and allowed them free access on the trolleys the rest of the day.
Thank you again for your replies.

libbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:54 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Tewksbury , Massachusetts
Thumbs up e-z pass

It took a while to get the kinks ironed out, but our e-z pass seems to be working correctly now. We have a 31 foot Landyacht towing a saturn. The e-z pass obtained in Massachusetts is specific to the RV towing the car, so it is classified as a #467: RV-dual wheels-over 7000 LBS and 4 axles (towing car). In MA, NH and ME, the e-z pass counts the number of axles, so if we weren't towing, we wouldn't be overcharged. Out of New England, it is specifically counted as a four axle vehicle which is fine as we wouldn't be traveling out of the area without the car in tow. We also purchased one for the car #72. When not in use, they give you a foil bag to wrap it in and it won't be read going through the tolls. Originally, they gave us a #459, which would be just the RV, but when we drove to Maine, it read the RV axles and then the car and we got double charged. Seems to be correct now and so much easier than trying to figure out how much change is needed to go through the tolls. But what a hassle to get it right the first time around.
libbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:16 AM   #32
Rivet Master
San Angelo , Texas
My EZ-Pass is a #72 for my dually. They just charge me per axle, when I hit the tolls.

Just an aside to those who think that they can freely go through tunnels all the time with their RVs, think again. In Maryland there are HazMat signs posted before you get to the Harbor Tunnel on I-895 and before the Fort McHenry Tunnel on I-95. Maryland Transit Authority will tag you, if you try it, and the fine sucks (typically from $1000-$3000)! The only safe alternative is I-695W, which takes an extra 25 minutes with no traffic, or taking the Eastern Ave. exit (Exit 59, if I remember right), going through Baltimore City itself and then back on I-95. I wouldn't even try going over the Francis Scott Key Bridge, on I-695E, because of the constant wind conditions.

When it comes to propane, don't take chances, and don't put other peoples' lives at risk, because you think you are a "seasoned" rv'er. Accidents can happen at any moment, and if you get into one in a tunnel, you're toast and so are others around you, period.

Nuff said, I'll get off my soapbox. I'm glad your trip went well, libbysmom.

1971 Sovereign International - SOLD

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:43 AM   #33
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
so, how did you travel thru NYC?

thanks for the ez-pass info.

2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote