Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2007, 02:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
EZ Pass...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
Hey now, driving thu NYC is fun, really it is only a 5 mile stretch that's bad.

No tolls on the GWB headed south.

I have an Ez pass so I don't pay attention to the tolls that much, but I guess it's $20 from Boston.
Does EZ Pass automatically detect if you're towing?

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:10 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler
Does EZ Pass automatically detect if you're towing?
Yes...it charges me the single axle towing rate when I am pulling my Bambi.
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmiii
Yes...it charges me the single axle towing rate when I am pulling my Bambi.
This is off topic on this thread, but does anyone know how it does that? I correctly get charged for two additional axles when we are pulling our 23'.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:23 PM   #24
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I'm going to disagree with that, I spoke to them directly, the pass is set for a specfic car, or a specfic car and trailer.

When you call they will ask you all kinds of questions about the trailer make model axels and weight.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:34 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
I'm going to disagree with that, I spoke to them directly, the pass is set for a specfic car, or a specfic car and trailer.

When you call they will ask you all kinds of questions about the trailer make model axels and weight.
I was curious about that as well (hence my previous post)... Check here:
"I sometimes pull a camper or trailer with my vehicle. Can I still use my tag?"

Yes. In this instance the equipment in the lane is designed to identify that your vehicle is pulling a trailer and you will be charged accordingly. However, if you think this will be a regular occurrence, you should call the Customer Service Center and have them send you a tag programmed for the vehicle classification you use most frequently. You should never use your tag in a vehicle type other than the one you initially requested (i.e. Car tag in a tractor-trailer).
Looks like they must have sensors under the pavement that counts axles. I have EZ Pass, but to be honest, I never check my account (dumb, I know). The first time I went through a toll plaza with the Basecamp, I went through an exact change lane and the attendant waved me through. I kinda figured it MUST work (no violation letters), but I've always been a bit nervous that I was just being lucky. Tonight, I finally looked at my account activity and sure enough, they DO catch the extra axle.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:34 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
With E-Z Pass, all you have to do is go through a manned toll booth. Don't stop, just drive thru at the posted limit (usually 5mph in NY). The tag be charged, but the person inthe booth will adjust for the number of axels you are pulling. I do it all the time.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:27 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hello from Virginia Beach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbysmom
Thank you all for your help. I think I will feel better taking the long way around the cities. We are staying at General Booth Trav-L Park as Joe is doing a marathon in Virginia Beach on Labor Day. Then we go on to GA, TN, KY, OH, NY. Any suggestions of things we absolutely need to see would be appreciated., as well as campgrounds to stay away from! BTW, we are driving a 2005 Landyacht and towing a Saturn. I'd give you my WBCCI # but it hasn't arrived yet
I've lived here since 1972 (gawd I'm old!) and traffic on I-95 has gotten horrible. When I have to drive it, 4 AM til the butt-crack of dawn is my preferred time! Vern (53FlyingCloud) has a good, very complete route for those of us who aren't adrenalin junkies. His way is actually doable in 2 days if you (A) can switch off driving or (B) are an endurance driver as well as an endurance runner.

The facilities at Holiday Trav-l are certainly the best in the area, but I hope you already have reservations because it is almost surely booked up. I warn you it is a huge campground but when 900 trailers and moho's are on it, it feels claustrophobic to me if you aren't on the expensive "super sites". Hey, but you're here for the Shamrock, not the campground so it'll be fine. There's another campground almost on the N. Carolina Line called North Landing Campground that usually does have sites because it's quite rural. Feel free to PM me if you want their number or if there are other ways a "local" can help you.

Stuff to see - the Marine Science Museum is almost walking distance from Holiday and you'll be wow'ed, even if you are from a coastal city. If I could only see one venue in VB, that would be it.

If you like history, Williamsburg is the place to go - and eat at one of the historical inns too.

If you prefer country roads and scenery when you leave the Beach go out on Route 10 (it's on the south side of the James River and there's miles of beautiful land, Bacons Castle, other historical houses, a wonderful state park with primo campsites all recently redone (name escapes me at the moment), but it's foundation is an old plantation and it's opposite Jamestown... Route 10 will ultimately take you through a few little towns that are trips back in time, then dump you near Richmond/Petersburg and the infamous I-95.

I also (as a grateful recovering Yankee) actually enjoyed touring the heart of the Confederacy in Richmond... it's a little eerie to see what a fanatic's shrine it was and is to "the cause".... but it's fascinating none the less, and quite startling when you find out a few details that I never learned going to school in Ohio.

Did y'all know that Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy considered freeing the slaves if they would fight for the South? (States rights - not slavery per se - was the reason for the war.) The The Confederate Congress shouted him down. Did y'all know that immediately following the war there was nearly a bloody incident in a Richmond church when a Negro walked to the front of a "white" church and knelt down to take communion at an otherwise empty communion rail..... and that the incident passed when an elderly bearded white man walked up and knelt beside him. Who else could object when Robert E. Lee knelt in communion with a free man of color?

I don't know how your route will shake out, but a GREAT campground is Virginia Highland Haven - Airstream only and in the BEAUTIFUL mountains of Virginia. Four wineries in easy driving distance too. Depends on where in Georgia and Tennessee you're going. Worth a 50 mile detour easily - but check their website and take their directions! The map says there's an alternate route but it's an engine buster for an RV.

Paula Ford, Foiled Again
Old 07-31-2007, 07:24 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1978 30' Argosy 30
tappan , New York
another thing to avoid on 95 is the friday night exodus from washington and the return on monday.Crossbronx is rotten during rush hour but it does move , albeit slowly and it is only 5 miles
bc057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Hey guys,every state is different when it comes to tolls Some charge by the number of axels on the ground,some by your total weight.Also the best way to avoid northern Va/D.C./De, traffic hassles is to run hwy 301. Start/end 301 at Ruther Glen,Va all the way to the start/end at I-95 in De.Always make sure you have plenty of fuel,gas stations are few and far between on 301... Brian
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:42 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Tewksbury , Massachusetts
Cool Is 95 through NYC a good route?

Thank you to all for your assistance in driving directions to Virginia Beach. First of all, we almost made it without hitting a tunnel - if you recall, I have a 90 LB propane tank in my Landyacht. I was within 20 miles of my destination and zigged when I should of zagged. James River Bridge (17) to 264 and then I should of taken 64 down to Chesapeake to avoid last tunnel. I think the guard felt bad since I went nuts when the tunnel appeared - HOW DID THIS HAPPEN - and he let us shut off the propane and go through anyway.
Holiday Trav-L Park is great except for a family that keeps leaving their yipping puppy zipped in their tent and going off for hours, but they are leaving today, Yeah! The super sites look great and I will try one of those if we are ever again in the area. But our site is roomy enough and level which is what I look for. The trolley even provided a free shuttle for the marathon participants to the starting gate at 6AM and allowed them free access on the trolleys the rest of the day.
Thank you again for your replies.
libbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:54 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Tewksbury , Massachusetts
Thumbs up e-z pass

It took a while to get the kinks ironed out, but our e-z pass seems to be working correctly now. We have a 31 foot Landyacht towing a saturn. The e-z pass obtained in Massachusetts is specific to the RV towing the car, so it is classified as a #467: RV-dual wheels-over 7000 LBS and 4 axles (towing car). In MA, NH and ME, the e-z pass counts the number of axles, so if we weren't towing, we wouldn't be overcharged. Out of New England, it is specifically counted as a four axle vehicle which is fine as we wouldn't be traveling out of the area without the car in tow. We also purchased one for the car #72. When not in use, they give you a foil bag to wrap it in and it won't be read going through the tolls. Originally, they gave us a #459, which would be just the RV, but when we drove to Maine, it read the RV axles and then the car and we got double charged. Seems to be correct now and so much easier than trying to figure out how much change is needed to go through the tolls. But what a hassle to get it right the first time around.
libbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:16 AM   #32
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
My EZ-Pass is a #72 for my dually. They just charge me per axle, when I hit the tolls.

Just an aside to those who think that they can freely go through tunnels all the time with their RVs, think again. In Maryland there are HazMat signs posted before you get to the Harbor Tunnel on I-895 and before the Fort McHenry Tunnel on I-95. Maryland Transit Authority will tag you, if you try it, and the fine sucks (typically from $1000-$3000)! The only safe alternative is I-695W, which takes an extra 25 minutes with no traffic, or taking the Eastern Ave. exit (Exit 59, if I remember right), going through Baltimore City itself and then back on I-95. I wouldn't even try going over the Francis Scott Key Bridge, on I-695E, because of the constant wind conditions.

When it comes to propane, don't take chances, and don't put other peoples' lives at risk, because you think you are a "seasoned" rv'er. Accidents can happen at any moment, and if you get into one in a tunnel, you're toast and so are others around you, period.

Nuff said, I'll get off my soapbox. I'm glad your trip went well, libbysmom.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:43 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
so, how did you travel thru NYC?

thanks for the ez-pass info.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote