Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2016, 10:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
I'm with A W Warn. Only rv paper I used was the stuff I got with the trailer. Been at a couple of RV shows where they showed the water test and good old Kirkland did better than the special RV stuff. Was told then that if you use a bit more water each time, and wait till the tank is full before opening the dump valve to empty, you won't have a problem. So far in 22 years, no problem.
And no the folks doing the tests weren't selling anything.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
To answer the question you actually asked -

Yes, a few people have installed bidet toilets in Airstreams.

the SEARCH function here isn't fantastic, but there are ways to make it easier. Click on SEARCH and mouse down to the GOOGLE function then figure out a good text string to get a reasonable number of responses... I'm trying "bidet toilet"

http://www.dometic.com/USA/Search/#?&q=bidet toilet

so... that's just a START. Happy hunting.

Paula
Old 04-04-2016, 11:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, with single ply toilet paper you need to use twice as much, so you might as well use two ply. I do.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:08 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I started Airstreaming in 1978. I have used whatever paper I had on the shelf in the house. I can't tell you any brand, I have used dozens and dozens over the past 38 years. I have never had a clog, or a problem. That includes when I occasionally used a macerator and a 75 foot hose to dump the tank. Oh, well once, but that was when a friends bimbo put a plastic tipped cigarillo down the toilet. I let him deal with it. I was a happy camper, but he wasn't.

Oh, I very rarely use anything but my Airstream toilet when out camping. I probably average 50 to 60 nights a year in it.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:44 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrrand View Post
Scott 1000 a good choice?

Yes. Cheap, sold everywhere and breaks down well.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:11 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
The Thread of the Day

Always something interesting on the forum every day. I nominate this to be the 'must read' thread of the day.

As for TP, we use the stuff that's so thin, it has only one side.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:31 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
In the last ten years, we have spent over 1800 nights in our old Sovereign. Have always used "any brand" single ply. Never had any trouble with clogs.

And yes, we use our toilet as intended--I can't imagine using public facilities by choice or burying my waste...

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:30 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
McDave we are with you!Never ever!
TCA and GPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Well, it sort of came naturally to us. For many years, we backpacked, and of course used convenient trees, in the absence of more civilized facilities in the back country. Then we softened a little, and for several years began camping in the back of our first pickup truck which was covered by a shell and had no facilities other than a floor. However, having a roof that didn't leak was a definite improvement over the tent. Then my wife began wishing she had a place to cook out of the rain. Knowing that the dictionary has a picture of my wife as an example of penny-pinching, I took the liberty of buying an Airstream while she was on an extended three month backpacking trip in the Wind River mountains of Wyoming. This has actually worked out fairly well, since she is spared any feelings of guilt since it's all my fault, and after two years, she really likes the Airstream. She even chides me when I bring it back dirty from an archery tournament expedition with my friends. So now we have the advantage of being able to cook out of the rain, shower inside, watch movies at night, and relieve ourselves inside at night without having to worry about falling off a cliff in the dark or something. Given all those advantages, going to public facilities when available or a convenient bush when not for our solid waste disposal issues does not seem much of a problem to us.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:26 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
. . .
or a convenient bush when not for our solid waste disposal issues does not seem much of a problem to us.
Out of sight, out of mind?

It is amazing to me, in my personal opinion, that in this day and age people can still delude themselves into thinking that polluting the Earth with their own bodily solid waste is somehow OK, just to avoid pooping in their own trailer's black water tank.

And brag about it . . .

Am I missing something?

Thank you for a thorough and serious justification for how the act -- of burying one's solid fecal material in a place frequented by other human beings -- can continue to be justified, as the planet gets more crowded and more polluted.

PS -- In the United States or Canada only, just to level the playing field a bit, please . . .

Carry In -- Carry Out?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:14 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
Wallgreen's sells their own brand of toilet paper for a competitive price. I think it is single ply 1000 sheets/roll. They have it labeled as "RV safe" and it has worked well for us. I think it is about $1 a roll.
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:02 AM   #32

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have a fairly substantial history of RV black tank usage. We are closing in on 1,800 nights of Airstream camping over the last ten years.

We use our in-house toilet pretty exclusively, and rarely use any campground facilities. Until about two years ago, we used Camco brand RV toilet paper exclusively. The prevailing wisdom was that this was the way to avoid black tank clog problems. We never made any effort to curtail the use of toilet paper. All went very well, and we never had a single issue in this area.

Then about two years ago, we read a thread here on the Forums similar to this one. Several member said that they were using Angel Soft Brand 2-ply Septic Safe toilet paper. We decided to give it a try. We are now at about 400 nights of camping using the Angel Soft and have not yet experienced a single toilet clog issue.

We do usually fill the black tank to 90% capacity before dumping, and there is most often substantial road travel to mix things up.

As to using single ply toilet toilet paper vs. 2-ply, we much prefer the 2-ply. We tried using single ply years back and found that we just used twice as much to get the job done.

As to cost, the Camco 2-ply RV toilet paper is about $1.25 per roll at Wal-Mart, and even higher at an RV store. We can routinely find the Angel Soft on sale at Publix for about 35 cents a roll. That's a pretty substantial price difference.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:40 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Is 2-ply toilet paper a must use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Out of sight, out of mind?

It is amazing to me, in my personal opinion, that in this day and age people can still delude themselves into thinking that polluting the Earth with their own bodily solid waste is somehow OK, just to avoid pooping in their own trailer's black water tank.

And brag about it . . .

Am I missing something?

Thank you for a thorough and serious justification for how the act -- of burying one's solid fecal material in a place frequented by other human beings -- can continue to be justified, as the planet gets more crowded and more polluted.

PS -- In the United States or Canada only, just to level the playing field a bit, please . . .

Carry In -- Carry Out?

What would you suggest that people do who camp away from officially designated camping areas with public bathrooms in tents or in vehicles where there are no bathrooms, who far outnumber those who camp in trailers in those areas? Carry out bags of poop? There are some overused areas, such as the Mt Whitney trail, where bags are issued to climbers for that purpose, and where there is a serious problem with human waste, which doesn't naturally decompose very rapidly in that cold high environment of rocks and little soil. I would imagine the ultimate answer, if it continues to be a problem, will have to be to restrict the number of people who are allowed to use the trail, because the percentage of people who actually use their carry-out bags is infinitesimal. In lower areas with less intensive use and more soil, human waste properly buried within the active layer of topsoil rapidly decomposes. Probably better for the environment than artificially treating it in a dump station. Believe me, there are more important things you could be worrying about.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:53 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
"Carry In Carry Out" is the wave of the future, trust me.

The planet simply cannot survive a continuation of our patterns of what is essentially abuse of the environment.

Mo' people -- Mo' problems . . .

Indignation at the suggestion?

Mirror time . . .

Old 04-07-2016, 02:02 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Carry in, carry out, is certainly a viable suggestion for trash and items that do not naturally decompose in the environment. However, is it your opinion that small amounts of human solid waste are better for the environment if enclosed in a plastic bag and disposed of in a landfill rather than naturally decomposing in the topsoil?
Old 04-07-2016, 02:29 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Well I guess we will have to put diapers on our dogs & cats can't have them polluting the earth.

And for those that don't know in some countries they poop in pots and use it to fertilize the rice patties!

We use single ply off the shelf Scott never had a problem.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:24 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Carry in, carry out, is certainly a viable suggestion for trash and items that do not naturally decompose in the environment. However, is it your opinion that small amounts of human solid waste are better for the environment if enclosed in a plastic bag and disposed of in a landfill rather than naturally decomposing in the topsoil?
Disposal of human waste is a complicated problem, to which I do not have simple answers.

The point was that burying one's own poop out in the woods is an idea whose time has ended.

"If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem?"

The other point, now that I am thinking of it, had to do with an apparent squeamishness about going #2 inside the trailer.

Now there's a phit topic for conversation!

oh, POO !
Old 04-07-2016, 03:36 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Disposal of human waste is a complicated problem, to which I do not have simple answers.

The point was that burying one's own poop out in the woods is an idea whose time has ended.
If that is true, then why does the Forest Service and Park Service still recommend it, with rules as to environmentally sound practices (at least 100' away from a lake, not in an overused area such as the Mt. Whitney trail, etc.)? Can you imagine carrying out all of your human waste from a 30 day backpacking trip?
Old 04-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We have wandered well away from the original post.

Obviously backcountry practices are different from RV'ing.

In your Airstream trailer, toilet paper is toilet paper. Use lots of water, dump whenever the opportunity arises.

Live long and prosper.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #40
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
If in a campground with a bathhouse or just the good old vault toilets, we do the bulk of the business there. The first rule of management is "Don't deal with the same crap twice."
However, when situations are not conducive, the AS head is the choice. Our TP is single ply, cheap, easily shredding stuff. If you can drive a few dozen miles before dumping, the vibrations and sloshing of travel will aid in breaking down the paper as well as the solids.

Odors? The gray tank has more smell than the black, as the black has the rinse sprayer. If you can let it rinse for four or five minutes, the better. Close the tank briefly during the rinse, and let the resulting flow bring out even more debris.

Add a small bottle of a Dollar Tree dish detergent to your tanks before travel, with them half full, and you will be surprised at the amount of stuff you can wash out.

Tom
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote