Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Saint Paul , Minnesota
Invisible fence

We are wondering if anyone out there uses an invisible fence around or near their trailer? If so, can you give some details of how you use it, where you purchased it and if you're satisfied with it. We live for six weeks in Maine and then drive to Alaska. We have two British Labs. One is just a puppy. The idea of an invisible fence intrigues us!
Mhphhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
How could you expect that to work, unless you are talking about a stationery trailer? You need to bury a cable around the area perimeter, hence the "invisible" part, but most importantly, you need to spend weeks in training the dogs to understand where that perimeter is. If you just laid a cable on the ground, the first time the dogs were loose they'd likely run past it in their excitement at being free, get shocked, and then could not return. Bad idea.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
There's an involved training to teach the dog the invisible boundary. That night be problematic it frequent new settings while traveling, unless you made a visible ( but not necessarily dog- proof) boundary that coincided with the invisible one.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Oops should have read Roberts post before I posted. But we agree.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:04 AM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
How could you expect that to work, unless you are talking about a stationery trailer? You need to bury a cable around the area perimeter, hence the "invisible" part, but most importantly, you need to spend weeks in training the dogs to understand where that perimeter is. If you just laid a cable on the ground, the first time the dogs were loose they'd likely run past it in their excitement at being free, get shocked, and then could not return. Bad idea.
They make a proximity version where there is a a sending unit that is stationary and the dog can roam so far from the base. They are usually called a Wireless Fence vs the Invisible fence with the buried wire. FWIW I use the Invisible fence at home with good results. I don't have a wireless fence, but I have a neighbor that does and she is happy with it. She uses hers with an old beagle and it does what it is supposed to. Like anything there will be a training curve for the dog(s) some will some learn, some might learn, some will never learn.

For a place to purchase I highly recommend Radio Fence they have outstanding customer service. They ship promptly.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

We have used our "visible fence" for years with good results.

Bob
Old 06-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
my girlfriend uses small white flags to train the dogs where NOT to go. they understand flags = shock. so then she can use the flags where she doesn't want dogs, even if there is no invisible fence - ie, to outline her garden within the dog area. they wont get socked if they cross in, but they know not to cross the white flags. i hope that makes sense....
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
St.Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
Wireless fence, training collars and two days training. Of course the trailer is'nt moving. Dogs would have a hard time keeping up with a fast moving trailer. Exhausting.
Phmhhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phmhhoward View Post
Of course the trailer is'nt moving. Dogs would have a hard time keeping up with a fast moving trailer. Exhausting.
Of course, if the dogs are exhausted, it would be easier to contain them within the invisible fence.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
my girlfriend uses small white flags to train the dogs where NOT to go. they understand flags = shock. so then she can use the flags where she doesn't want dogs, even if there is no invisible fence - ie, to outline her garden within the dog area. they wont get socked if they cross in, but they know not to cross the white flags. i hope that makes sense....
If you use the Invisible Fence brand at home, you can buy a set of the flags that can be placed around your trailer and they will work as described above. Our Invisible Fence was inoperative for almost a year and the dog never left her "safe" area. I've also seen campground setups with an electric fence about 2" off the ground with a solar charger. My last dog had a scar on her nose when she sniffed the electric fence around the horse pasture. Crude, but effective.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to Erik Olson
Invisible PetSafe flags at the campground are a good idea. Some dogs may not even need the wire to be present if they are accustomed to having the system at their permanent home.

Also, PetSafe makes a remote corrective collar that you could use in conjunction with the flags, which wouldn't actually be deployed over a real perimeter. However, you would have to be diligent to train the dog with remote in-hand to reinforce that the white flags represent a very real boundary.

Like the in-ground PetSafe system, the PetSafe remote collar offers 0 - 5 level of correction, zero being a "beep-only" and 5 being "collar-of-fire."

We have two Jack Russells and a dingo, who are all on PetSafe. The Invisible Fence is a humane method of training when used properly and when a smaller corral / crate won't do. Some look down on the Invisible "shock" technology, but a dog fight / dog bite / injured or dead animal avoided is certainly the most humane policy for your animal friends!
Erik Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
http://www.petsafe.net/training-beha...emote-trainers

This is what we've used on JRTs and the dingo when we needed away from home correction. The trick is having the dog become accustomed to ALWAYS having the collars on, so that they don't see them as punitive. Then, when they are doing something wrong and not responding to their owner's voice, the beep and / or shock correction will break them out of whatever else (squirrel; other dogs; people; cars) has them distracted from obedience.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
My only comment....

.....you put the collar on and let the DW do the training, see if it really works.

Bob
Old 06-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Awesome. So, you have a dingo too? . For the record, I have tried the PetSafe collar. 1 is akin to a mild static shock, 5 will convulse a muscle.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Might have to look into that Pet Safe training collar. I am still working on training the newest hound to live within the bounds of the invisible fence we have installed. We have nearly 4,000' of it, somewhere around 17 acres are covered.

The new dog is half Jack Russell Terrorist and half Walker Treeing Hound. a bit stubborn and hard headed, but a real sweet heart when he is behaving.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 06-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
Wow! That dog could be in the movies! Nothing like having a giant Jack Russell terrier. !
Old 06-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2vets View Post
Wow! That dog could be in the movies! Nothing like having a giant Jack Russell terrier. !
Funny thing is most of the good old boys around here notice the Walker in him first then ask what the other half is

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 06-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Our Golden retreiver is not a problem she is a an angel that some how knows what we want.The Jack Russel we ended up with is on the other end of the spectrum so far........but she is improving.I doubt even shock treatment would stop her from running if that is what she had in mind
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Highland , California
Instead of invisible fence, I encourage you to train your dog to the "come" command. You can use the wireless remote that comes with most invisible fence kits to do this. Let the dog out, when he/she goes beyond your boundary, yell "come". If there's no response, use the warning beep on the remote. That's usually all it takes. The beep is uncomfortable enough. If the beep doesn't work, yell "come" again, if no response, then issue a shock.

I trained my poodle this way, and it literally only took one shock for him to respond to come his entire life.

I learned this from a dog trainer with 25 years experience. If you don't have the wireless remote, you can shake a coffee can full of pennies, it has a similar effect.

John
amazongb is offline   Reply With Quote