Old 01-05-2016, 07:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Queens , New York
Question Investing in 'Loonies'

after reading a thread on it being a great time to visit our neighbors to the North, due to the favorable exchange rates, i was curious if there is a good way to profit by buying Canadian currency and holding until the value rises ?

Dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:07 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
You could try it, not really worth while unless you're doing 10s of 1000s of $. There is some amount at which you can manage to get lower exchange rates, you'd have to check with your bank. There is actually a system behind what you're suggesting, had it explained to me once several years back. If you get serious about it, I'd suggest getting educated on it.

Here's my take on the loonie, but I'm no investor or currency expert.

I moved to Canada when it was 60c to the US$ back in 2001 (everything was soo cheap here!) A couple years back it was $1.10 to the US$, coinciding (I believe) with oil prices, and going to the US was great. I expected it to settle around 85c. Today, 71c, kinda sucks to be in Canada from that perspective. I've read an article or two that say oil prices wont rebound to that level till 2020/2022, so you may have to wait that long for the loonie to rise enough to get a return.

Over a pure currency exchange game; if I were in the US with a chunk of money to invest, I'd consider real estate in Canada. You have a great exchange rate and the major markets are propped up by foreign investments (easier done in Canada than the US). As well, Canada has a stricter banking system than the US (we didn't suffer near as bad as the US with the real estate bubble). If the Canadian dollar explodes again, you can sell and really make a win. If it doesn't, you still would probably have a reasonable return, much better if you can also rent out the property. The flip side, the weakness of the Canadian market is also the foreign investment...if that stops I'd worry about a sizable correction since most Canadians cannot afford the major markets.

mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:05 PM   #3
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Canada is basically a petro-state, so when the value of oil rises, the loonie will probably rise, as well.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1975 Argosy 26
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Google currency swaps and swaptions. Not for the faint of Heart.
DDOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
How long does it take you to get to Georgian Bay? I'd buy a cottage and use it.
Cameron & the Labradors
Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
AIR #11529
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
In this crazy world, I don't know if anyone really knows what the future holds for the return to higher priced oil.

Aren't they saying now that those in OPEC who created this situation with intent to force US and Canadian Oil companies under are now feeling the pinch themselves from the low prices?

And if this is so, may the situation not reverse sooner rather than later?

Probably just wishful thinking on my part hoping see my portfolios recover and the Canadian dollar back up so I can better afford our US trips!

Oh well, we continued our US trips when we were down to nearly 60 cents and I suppose we still will - just fewer restaurant meals when away, and less spent to bring home stuff that we don't really need if truth be told!

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
You make some good points Brian. The exchange is brutal but it does not stop us from going. Eat out less and take advantage of the reduction in fuel costs. In our case, gas is one of our biggest costs when traveling, so having it 30-40% less helps big time.....

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Trying to use my camera to create memories - not photographs!

WBCCI #2525 (Region-10 Unit #120)
Air #85270
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote