Old 06-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Invasion of the Rental RVs

I just got back from AZ and Utah visiting North Rim GC, Zion and Bryce. I was amazed at all the rental RVs in the NP campgrounds. At Bryce in North Campground I could look down the campground road and all I saw was rental RVs. I was in loop A where half of the sites are reservable. Met one at the North Rim dump station from Germany and another at the Bryce dump station were from Switzerland.

Mostly Coachman, Four Winds Class Cs all the way up to 31'.

Do the RV rentals companies get on line and reserve a bunch of campground sites for their clients at the NP? I suppose vacationers from Europe could go on recreation.gov to reserve 6 months ahead like I did.

Kelvin

Old 06-25-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
I am pretty sure that these vacationers are all well organized and participate at the 6 months ahead run for the best campsites. We have met people from all over the World and the US who were traveling in rental RVs.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Yup

We just got back from that area ourselves. I too was amazed at how many of those we saw. I chatted with several of them, and every person I spoke to, were Europeans on holiday. They were EVERYWHERE. I can only think of one CG where we stayed and there wasn't one in there with us. That happened to be @ a KOA in the middle of BF nowhere OK. It was right on I40. Rinky dink lil KOA, and I would care NOT to go back there, but...SOMEONE is makin some serious cash $ renting those things. I'm in the wrong industry!
Gavin
Old 06-25-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
I'm proud of our National Parks and I welcome visitors - but I think they shoukd be for Americans first. How about this? Give American citizens a headstart on reservations. Let us reserve six months in advance and non-citizens five months in advance or somesuch. I guess I'm a little possessive about our National Parks - they're the result of a lot of American blood, sweat and tears.

Cheers,
John
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:55 AM   #5
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Aren't they big bucks to rent, and insure? Especially since Euro is not what it was. On other hand they think our gas is a bargain., someday that will be me in Europe.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #6
Rivet Dude

1972 21' Globetrotter
1987 34' Excella
yep, still on the road , On The Road
Rental RV's

Having spent twelve weeks getting from Palm Springs to the SF bay area, I too noticed all the mostly foreighn campers. Sometimes the majority in a campground.

I often pass out nitril gloves for them at the dump station, seems they don't come with the rental package.

You want to see foreign fokes smile? Pass out Jiffy pop . You will hear thank you in many languages.

Welcome to the United States of America.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
People from other countries come over here, rent RV's, travel, and spend a great deal of money in our country.

You don't see many of these rentals in obscure locations, more in the more popular national sites....in my experience.

I met an English couple once who had flown to California, bought a Class C, traveled for 8 weeks, and were shipping it home out of Brunswick, GA.

Maggie
Old 06-25-2015, 01:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
This summer we are seeing a ton of rental rv's in Yellowstone but, then again, visitation in general is up 25%. We also regularly see European RV's with overseas plates -- the owners ship them here and store them between lengthy visits. Some of the German class C's are really rugged and look like they could run the Baja 500.

What better way to see the U.S.A.?

Mike
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Saw this parked by the general store in Bryce.

Kelvin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Off Road RV.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	241580  
Old 06-25-2015, 01:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Love seeing the various tourists from so many places learning and enjoying the USA.

"Holiday" in Europe is still a often "planned out and saved up for big deal". They often wonder at our quick trips and weekend getaways. Although RV rental is expensive for them its still cheaper than hotels.

Think of it from our Airstreaming viewpoint.

They fly into a major hub rent a car and explore that city. Then put the whole family into the Rental RV and off they go. They pack lunches, unpack once, buy a annual park pass, pay way less for gas than we do, and see tons of sites in 3 to 4 weeks. Split those costs up and still a very cost effective trip. Then back to a major hub and head home.

Not a bad way to see a lot. Welcome them all.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I need to learn French. So many French tourists at Sunrise Point in Bryce. What's French for "hoodoo" ?

Kelvin
Old 06-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
Visitors from abroad

We spent two years working as Volunteers in Parks in Everglade NP giving tours in the Pine Island District of the park, which is the Homestead/Florida City entrance. We were amazed at how many of the guests were from abroad, mostly but not exclusively Europe, especially during the Christmas/New Years time. There were so many I eventually began asking why are they visiting the park during the meet and greets before a tour. The vast majority said they do not have such parks in their country so came to see ours. I had a group of Ethiopians, all with their doctorates in various fields, who told me they were visiting several of our National Parks, informally, in order to begin planning national parks in their country, based on our system. The thing is, most of these visitors were not camping. They were staying locally in motels, inns and other rentals. So for every RV rental you might have seen with visitors from abroad, there are many others visiting as well. Apparently the world is still envious of our country in many ways. We are lucky to have such a system in our own back yards.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
They get more than two weeks vacation !! And Health care.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
"Le hoodoo!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I need to learn French. So many French tourists at Sunrise Point in Bryce. What's French for "hoodoo" ?

Kelvin