Old 06-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
In Europe vacation time is viewed differently than in the U.S. We usually take a few days off at a time spread out over the whole year. Europeans on average work their buns off for 11 months and then take a month off.

WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:10 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Caution about importing your own RV

Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Saw this parked by the general store in Bryce.

I saw this one, or one like it, near Petrified Forest in April. It's starter had failed. No local towing company could tow it because (A) It was too heavy and (B) it had air brakes, so it required a tow truck that had the capability of providing air. The starter was beyond repair, and because the truck has a 24 volt electrical system, no replacement starter could be found in North America. They had to special order from Germany.

The lesson is, don't import your car or RV into a foreign land that doesn't normally service that type/brand of vehicle. You can get stranded for a LONG time.

I also saw several other similar-looking European RVs in Arizona this spring, plus a Pinzgauer that was quite a bit bigger than the one pictured, and two Fiat class Bs that were similar to Sprinters.

SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:06 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
I have never seen a rental RV in a campground.

I have seen several on the road, and met some at highway rest areas and the like. In my part of the country the RVs are typically rented by college kids wanting a place to stay and a way to travel all in one for Spring Break, people who fly in to watch their favorite team at away games and rent an RV rather than staying in a hotel because it's hard to tailgate at a hotel (there's an RV rental company very close to New Orleans International Airport), one of my coworkers who rents an RV every year to go to Talladega with his buddies because it's silly to buy an RV and only use it one week a year…

But I've never encountered foreigners in a rental RV, either. All the RV renters I've met are red-blooded Americans.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:36 PM   #18
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
If you speak German, you can watch (and even take part in) the trip deliberations over at the forum! - Amerika von Fans für Fans - Startseite

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:09 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2014 23' Flying Cloud
2013 19' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
Invasion of the Rental RVs

We've been to Europe, South America, and Africa with Road Scholar. We have been welcomed
everywhere. We have been at Dante's View in Death Valley where we were the only ones speaking English, yet had wonderful "conversations" with our European guests. We have traveled our wonderful USA and met people, local and international (what better way to share who we are and what we are about.) We've been to Zion, Bryce, North Rim, South Rim, Yellowstone, you get it. Reservations are available 6 months in advance. Plan ahead.
MomcatA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
There were a few rental RVs in the KOA closest to Plymouth, Mass. last year. We spoke with a German couple who were doing the east coast and helped them out with their shore power cable, which had lost its earth pin. Of course, I'm a European so I kind of half count as an overseas visitor, but the Ontario plates on the Airstream mean that I'm also relatively local.

For the record, the big European countries have a minimum of 20 days paid holiday annually but they do tend to take it in big batches, the largest being in the summer when the kids are off school.
Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
My parents used to run a campground in southern Florida, and a good part of their business was European travelers on a road trip through the U.S. Seems like an appropriate way to see the country. They would fly in to Miami and start the tour there.
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I love visiting with international people in our National Parks. It is fun to help them understand our country and how we do things, as it is fun to learn from them about their way of doing stuff. I have never had a bad experience and have learned more from them than I gave back, I am sure.

I had a fun conversation with a group of German guys one night 30 years ago in Glacier National Park. We were all drinking a fair amount of beer. They could not understand why we used aluminum cans and no bottles, and the few bottles were not recycled. At that time there was NO beer brewed in Montana at all (changed now with micro breweries). The beer we were drinking came from Portland Oregon. I explained that carting bottles back to Portland hundreds of miles away to wash and re use just didn't make sense. They explained that all German beer bottles were the same and could go back to any brewery and be re used, and filled with any other beer. Since they had a lot of breweries, the bottles didn't travel very far. They then understood not only about beer bottles but how vast this country is. At that time Germany had not been re united and was about the size of Oregon but with 60 million people in it. So, even re cycling can become a topic of understanding.

They could not understand the lack of good cheese here either. I said "neither can I". American single slice pre wrapped cheese was all they could find in the little convenience stores they were shopping in....LOL.

learning is fun.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:08 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
1949 22' Liner
Cincinnati , Ohio
Both last year at Grand Canyon, and this year at Shenandoah, about half the rental RV's seemed to be filled with Europeans. I've also seen European motorhomes shipped to the US from Europe at both Yellowstone and Grand Canyon. An acquaintance from the Netherlands did a 3-week cross-country rental RV trip with his family to see America.
TheOhioSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:27 PM   #24
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Class C rentals are a huge business here. Have met many from Germany, the UK, and Australia.
easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
We have them all over in California campgrounds. I have never had a problem with any of them. Most are Europeans as stated and are generally very conscientious about their camping habits.

I met a couple of young German ladies with their kids at a dump station and they were filling the fresh water tank on their rental with the dump station hose. I tried to explain to them about the contamination of the water supply and how it could make them sick, but they looked at me like I had lobsters crawling out of my ears an said in a thick German accent, "But we do not drink it!" I sure hope the rental company sterilizes the fresh system on those things after each rental!
TinShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
During our recent snowbird adventure of southwestern states we met many Europeans especially in State and National Parks. Among the many travelers with rented class C MH....
we met three separate couples and two families whom brought their own MH from Germany via port entry in Baltimore. Some couples discussed their 10-11 month plans and others were visiting U.S. for shorter stays. We were very impressed with their excellent English and knowledge of their destinations. One couple we bumped into twice during our three month sojourn. I always smiled at their show of patriotism as their MH was decorated with Ralph Lauren "red, white and blue" decor and they frequently dressed in color coordinated sportswear also in Americana red, white and blue!
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member
san ramon , California
I just returned from a trip to Yosemite with a rented 25 ft class C. It was a great introduction to the lifestyle and convinced my wife and I to go forward with a trailer purchase. A good portion of the people we came across were foreigners. I was amazed by the languages heard just walking the grounds.

Great way to see the country, but I can admit that it wasn't inexpensive. We went during one of the cheapest time frames. It can go up to $300+ per night in peak periods.
Eonicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:12 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member
2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
We are on a 3 month road trip to Alaska and Canada. We met a man from Switzerland who had shipped a very expensive (and unusual) trailer and VW tow car to Baltimore and proceded to drive to Alaska. His family will fly to Anchorage where they will go on a tour of Alaska.

dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote