Old 09-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Interstate 16 Macon to Savannah

Just a word about I-16. The east bound lanes are TERRIBLE. And the west bound lane are only slightly better. Lemme explain.

We went to Tybee Island near Savannah last week via I-16. We took the back-roads from our home on the southside of Atlanta to Dublin (those backroads were fabulous, BTW) and drove east for about 112 miles of the 165 length of the interstate. Man-o-man, was it rough. It's been probably 15 years since we were on that highway (tent camping at Skidaway Island pre-Airstream), so things may have changed over the years, but I sure don't remember it being this bumpy. Things thrown around all over the inside of the 'Stream. Of course, not all of the miles are "bad", but enough are so that I was worn down by the trip. Son-in-law noticed at one point that I had a death-grip on the wheel.

Anyway, apologies from a Native Georgian for such a bad road. Most of our Highways and Byways are in much better shape.

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
2004 25' Classic
Bumpy I-16

Jim I agree with you on the rough ride on I-16. A couple years ago in April we drove on I-16 from Macon to Savannah on a business trip in a Chevy Traverse SUV and it shook us up pretty good on some sections of the highway. The wife and I plan a trip to Savannah and Charleston next April but I will avoid pulling my Airstream on I-16, instead will use state route highways.
David & Linda "savoring retirement"
2006 Ford F250 V-10
2004 Airstream 25 Classic
WBCCI #1572
Camper Dave is offline   Reply With Quote