Old 07-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #15
rvb
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
I have an AT&T plan with 4 people on it, which was originally 10 gig. They later upped it to 15 then 20 gigs with rollover. I use my phone as a hot spot for my laptop and have been on the road for 4 weeks and have used 6 of 39 gigs. I use it every night surfing the web, paying bills, for email and sending business files. I don't watch any U-tubes, movies, or videos and don't download anything unless I can hook up to a Wi-Fi connection and have never gone over 10 gigs in a month. My wife is on the plan and doesn't even use her phone and 2 college age sons are on my plan, but, at home and they text a lot (unlimited) but use the home Wi-Fi. My cellphone plan costs about $186 a month for 4 phones after taxes and fee's.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Columbia , Connecticut
Very simple Verizon has what is called
Jet pack wifi Add s $ 10.00 to the bill . We have used it for over a week out of our area
And has worked fine good luck. Hope this helps

Old 07-12-2016, 07:26 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
I pay Verizon for 14 gigs a month. There's 3 of us using it and we only ever once got near our limit on a 3 week cross country trip last year. We NEVER do vids or movies but are on line ALL day and im very happy. I use it at my business when in shop every day and use a fraction of my allowance. Its JUST impractical to expect to use high gig vids from a cell connection.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #18
Stay CazuaL

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Well, full disclaimer, this is a hacker trick. I read this somewhere.

Get a phone plan that has unlimited data, like Sprint.

Tether your phone via PDAnet from the PlayStore. You will connect your USB cable to the phone. I heard XDA Developers can help, so I heard.

Or if you know how to root your Android, there are many apps like Barnacle, FoxFi, etc that can create a WiFi tether for you.

Then depending whether you have a Windows or iOS, you will need to know how to make your laptop a hotspot. Search "how to turn laptop into a hotspot" for windows. Search "how to turn mac into hotspot" for iOS.

I heard this works. I do not know, I have NEVER tried it.
"Sweat is your fat crying"
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:31 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Paris , Texas
I used to use PDAnet with my Sprint phone with unlimited data. Worked great until I upgraded to a new phone. Haven't been able to get it to work since. I purchased a hdmi adapter for the phone and can now stream netflix to our camper tv. I'm looking for a bluetooth keyboard with a built in tracpad. Once I get that I can use the camper tv as a monitor and surf away.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Verizon just changed their plan options. Now you can opt in for unlimited data for $0-5 depending on your base data package. It's called safety mode. If I remember it was free on XL and higher plans, $5 on smaller plans. Only catch is that after your data cap is met they throttle to 128kbps for data until your next period starts. Good for email, browsing, Facebook, need, etc, but not for video streaming. Although I guess you could rent or buy videos to download.
They also started carry over monthly data not used.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:41 AM   #21
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I switched to the new Verizon plan last evening, allowing the carry over of unused data, but didn't opt for the safety mode.

After adding Xfinity home wifi a few months ago, I dropped my data plan to 4GB, to cover cellular data usage on the IPad and phone when I am away from home for short periods.

When I am traveling I can increase to 6 or 8GB, then drop it back when I return and the home wifi picks up.

I always leave on an extended trip with plenty of e-books downloaded, and just shift into a "read more, tv less" mode for that time period.

If I have a tv signal, great...if I don't, doing without is fine, too.

Maggie
Old 07-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Full-time traveling , Hmmmm. what day of the week is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
Verizon just changed their plan options. Now you can opt in for unlimited data for $0-5 depending on your base data package. It's called safety mode. If I remember it was free on XL and higher plans, $5 on smaller plans. Only catch is that after your data cap is met they throttle to 128kbps for data until your next period starts. Good for email, browsing, Facebook, need, etc, but not for video streaming. Although I guess you could rent or buy videos to download.
They also started carry over monthly data not used.
I just switched to Verizon's new plan at 24 GB, and turned on safety mode.

I will see what happens and report back here.

Thanks for all your comments.

JBBeaubeaux is offline   Reply With Quote