Old 07-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Paradise , Texas
I would have to say Verizon.... I have AT&T for the cell, but Verizon on the laptop and have been very pleased in the 24 months I have had it.

Catsalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:07 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Guess I will chime in from a campground in you know where Montana...Verizon!

Old 07-19-2009, 10:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Hi,

We're using verizon wireless..I have a month to month, no 1 or 2 year contract plan: 250 mb for $39 and have not used it to the limit since we've been on the road on our cross country trip..we're now in Ky and tomorrow heading for Ohio..so far, the campgrounds' wifi have been pretty good as far a connectivity..and when it isn't, I'll use the aircard.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Once upon a time, AT&T, and then changed to Verizon and it changed everything for us. We love Verizon. We've even used it when cruising Alaska, off shore and within sight of land. It's great!
Old 07-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
My husband works from the road and internet is an absolute necessity for him. We have had great success with the Verizon MiFi freestanding modem card. It allows for multiple laptops to connect and so far, our coverage has been fine. Since we live on the road, we make sure the check the Verizon broadband coverage map before we head to a campground. No major complaints, yet!
Old 07-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Prior to retirement I had a job where I used a variety of cellular services. Verizon usually came out on top. I've been on the road a lot lately, and nowadays it's rare when I can't get a good broadband signal on the Verizon aircard. Except last night at Buck Creek State Park near Springfield, Ohio. Dead zone. Even with an external antenna.

Tonight, I'm at Graham Cave State Park near Montgomery City, Missouri. Great signal strength (and a very nice campground, I might add).
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I also use a verizon USB720 wireless modem. The only place there was no reception was the the Top of Georgia Airstream Park. I just plugged my Wilson exterior antennea in to the USB & had reception. I also had to do this for my cell phone. Don't let this discourage you from going there. They have free wifi available.

I use an USB extension cord that's 4 feet long. This allows me to put the modem up in the blinds. That way it's near a window & increases the height.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I also use the USB720. I've used a variety of aircards/modems and, to date, it is the best. That extension cord can make a big difference, especially when you're shielded by the aluminum. I also like its capability for an external antenna connection. I fed my line through the front window by drilling a small hole in the aluminum window frame, and clamp the antenna to the solar guard. When not in use it stores nicely between the window and the screen.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:05 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We got an AT&T card last fall. It is a pain most of the time. Slow or no service unless parked very near a tower. Lots of disconnects. Wish it was Verizon like our phone. Got it on a "deal" at Costco. No deal. When the contract is up, we WILL switch to Verizon.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Although I have no plans to switch away from Verizon--they have fantastic coverage of the country--truth in advertising compels me to say that I have a love-hate relationship with it.

The reason is that of all the places in the country that I've had service, the absolute worst is at home in Ohio! We are out in the country where there's no cable (hence no Roadrunner) and the telephone company didn't offer DSL until quite recently, after I had signed up for Verizon wireless internet.

The problem here at home is that some days the Verizon wireless works fine (with an outside antenna) and other days the $%^&@ thing won't stay connected for five minutes. (This mirrors the behavior of my Verizon cell phone--some days it works fine and other days it just decides to give a little "beep" and disconnect you in the middle of a call.) I'm pretty sure these problems happen when our local cell is overloaded. Hopefully Verizon will be adding some cells out here soon. . .

And the reason it occurs to me to mention it is that today is one of those days!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #25
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is, that with verizon you can connect with your cell phone connected to the PC with a USB cable. They have a feature that can be added to your voice plan called Mobile Broad Band connect. Since it is a feature not a plan, you can activiate it and deactivate it without a fee. As long as your phone is EVDO capable it should work.
Ken
Old 07-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Myers , Florida
We have Verizon for our cell phones and like the coverage, but since we're not full-timers and just needed to connect for a trip we got a Virgin mobile usb. You pay for it, about $150 then just pay for the time or bandwidth as needed. We're not locked in to a two-year contract, like Verizon offers for the card.
It didn't work in Canada, but there may have been something I could've done to make it work (change the connection or number). Check out the Virgin site.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #27
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostreamers View Post
We have Verizon for our cell phones and like the coverage, but since we're not full-timers and just needed to connect for a trip we got a Virgin mobile usb. You pay for it, about $150 then just pay for the time or bandwidth as needed. We're not locked in to a two-year contract, like Verizon offers for the card.
It didn't work in Canada, but there may have been something I could've done to make it work (change the connection or number). Check out the Virgin site.
Verizon has a month to month plan for their aircards too. We have several at work that we turn on and off as projects come and go. IIRC the activation fee is $35 and the monthly charge is ~$60 for the larger download. I use a Verizon Crackberry to hookup my personal laptop.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Verizon

I'm at McGrath State Beach right now on Verizon. I have had good coverage even in the Sierras. Seems like I can always pick up a bar or two.
Randy