Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2016, 02:46 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Thanks for the info. I will take this route going north in November.

Here I found the info on my "mountain directory" app. FYI

"48. US HIGHWAY 101

(between Lincoln City and Cape Meares, OR)

Between Lincoln City and Neskowin, US 101 includes a summit near Cascade Head. The grade is 6% for 2 miles on each side of the hill. Also, the county road between Pacific City and Netarts, called the "Three Scenics Route" includes a summit near Cape Lookout with grades from 6 to 12% for about 2 miles on both sides of the hill. The loop up to Cape Meares includes short grades in the 8-10% range. Whenever your map shows a "Cape" along the coast, there is a good chance of short, steep grades."
spreadmywing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
If you like trains , ships and plains there are a lot of fun places to see and ride trains.

Astoria has a vintage trolley that runs every day along the river a must ride and the best place to get on is a the coast guard museum . Plenty of parking for the trailer.

Garabulde has a train ride that goes up the coast to Rockaway Beach and back.

Tillamook has the cheese factory ( yum ) and the air museum is a must see.

While in the area a detour inland to McMinville to see the Spruce Goose and a bunch of other meet planes and even take a plunge on the water slide.

Plus more fun stuff down the coast.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:02 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiss View Post
While towing, avoid "Three Scenic Route" between Pacific City and Netarts.

Enjoy your trip!
To do so would mean missing out camping at one the most beautiful state parks - Cape Look Out. Which has lots of sites for larger rigs.
Northerngirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Yup that's the one to stay off of with a trailer. Main route of 101 is a breeze.

Other tidbits, mostly about the Central Coast.

Yachats (yah hots) has diesel. Reedsport, Florence, and the north side of Tillamook have convenient fuel stations.

Waldport is a great and beautiful town, south of Newport, that most people just drive through. Grand Central is a great pizza place and there is a nice icecream shop across the road. There is also a very convenient and clean municipal dump station; costs three dollars; it is the last left on the south side of town on Star St. by the RV park. South of town Gov. Patterson is a very quite day use beach with easy and close parking.

South of Lincoln City (just drive on through there if you want to avoid the crowds) is Gleneden Beach. There is nice beach access to one of the best places to hunt aggots (at low tide) and there is also the Side Door cafe. Speaking of tides, the iPhone app High Tode is a useful tool while on the coast.

Rogue Brewery in South Beach is a nice place for lunch and they have a big parking lot. Old Town Newport is great, but parking is tight and limited; not trailer friendly.

My favorite campgrounds are all state run, they are:

South Beach in Newport
Bullards Beach, Bandon
Sutton, Reedsport

Beverly Beach, north of Newport is not very private and a bit overhyped. But if you can get a spot closest to the beach it is pretty convenient.

Bandon Creamery is a yummy stop in an overall cool town.

Tillamook Creamery has trailer parking, but it may be full, and you will have a bit of a walk.

Tillamook County runs a campground, Bayview Jetty Park, that is not too private but has full hookups and easy access to Garibaldy and Rockaway. The steam train ride out of Rockaway is pretty cool.

I think I will keep my last couple of secrets
Old 08-23-2016, 03:42 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Stanwood , Washington
Oregon Coast Highway 101

Just came back from two weeks on the Oregon Coast, towing a 25' Safari, no problem, roads are good, lots of places to turn off if needed. People in Oregon are pretty polite. Have fun!
dfschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:03 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngirl View Post
To do so would mean missing out camping at one the most beautiful state parks - Cape Look Out. Which has lots of sites for larger rigs.
I was just in BC. You all like your double digits grades Kidding aside, we loved it up there and I really appreciated the well signed roads. Downhills grades were no issue since I knew how steep and how long. Most times in Oregon you are lucky if you event get the scary truck falling off the hill sign with little insight into how long and fast.

Now that you gave away one of the secrete campgrounds though, and I am glad you did because it is a great spot.

Cape Lookout is perfectly accessible from Tillamook. Come in from Tillamook and back out Tillamook for an easier journey. Heading south from the campground on the "Scenic" route is more difficult. I would leave the trailer in camp and head for Pacific City for a cold Kiwanda Cream Ale at the brewery and a possible hike up the sand hill.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:38 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Avila Beach , California
Just did it two weeks ago on our return trip from Alaska...it was worth the extra time and a piece of cake; there are far worse roads (and I don't me Alaska-they were amazing!)

Be prepared for some road construction but look at it as an opportunity to get out a stretch your legs and breathe in the sights and fresh air.

Be sure to stop in Tillamook at the Cheese factory, in Cannon Beach and Brookings is pretty neat also and in our estimation a better place to re-supply than Crescent City.

Have fun and enjoy the ride.

"don't let life get in the way of living"
LOGRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:21 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugster View Post
drboyd - I saw your cautionary note about Sand and Surf at Defoe. I am currently planning a spring trip to the Oregon Coast. Can you provide additional info about why you warned readers? Thanks in advance. Doug
Check your private messages.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:35 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
BTW if you get driven off the coast due to poor weather Champoeg State Heritage Park is a great location - lots to explore in the park itself but also a good place to base yourself for day trips to Portland and McMinnville etc. Its located about 16 miles south of Portland on the Willamette River.
Northerngirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:43 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Insights Needed - 101 on OR coast

We drove 101 all the way from Port Angeles WA to Crescent City CA with absolutely no problems, all while towing our 2016 28 ft AS. As we got further south, out of WA and into OR, traffic increased. The delays for road work were minimal and just gave us more time to enjoy the views of the coast. Good luck and take your time. Oregon State Parks are wonderful and we made our reservations in February for arrival in late July.

Sent from my iPhone using Starship Enterprise warp drive
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:55 PM   #31
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
This is a really great state park for camping, we loved it here. Even better, it's ridiculously nearby to all kinds of wonderful wineries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngirl View Post
BTW if you get driven off the coast due to poor weather Champoeg State Heritage Park is a great location - lots to explore in the park itself but also a good place to base yourself for day trips to Portland and McMinnville etc. Its located about 16 miles south of Portland on the Willamette River.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:55 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Fresno , California
My wife and I just got home from a trip to Olympia Washington from Fresno California. On our way home we headed even closer to the ocean and took HWY 1 prior to Willits down to Fort Bragg....not an easy trip and not one I would ever do again. 101 was a breeze compared to HWY 1. Take your time and explore the little towns on the road. We are back in Fresno now hating the heat and all the fires in the mountains around us. Maybe we will head back in a couple weeks.
ldireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:13 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Monrovia , California
We traveled the Oregon coast from Florence up to Astoria this June pulling our 25' International. Highway 101 is a good road all the way, although you may have to slow or stop for construction at certain locations. Nehalem Bay State Park was our favorite camping spot, and Cannon Beach was a very pretty little town nearby. The Oregon coast is so beautiful, don't hesitate to pull your trailer on the 101. Just take it slow and easy. Your biggest challenge is keeping your eyes off the beautiful scenery while driving!
ckerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:51 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
we have driven it with our 34' AS. We have bicycled every inch as well. It is a nice trip. A bit slow at times but nothing compared to Seattle traffic Slow down when it says rough road. There are a few places with swales due to landslide repairs.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote