Old 08-23-2016, 01:27 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1970 27' Overlander
Brookings , Oregon
Just allow for road work

I live in Brookings at the south end of the route. We've been all over the 101. The only thing is don't be in a hurry. For one you will want to enjoy the scenery . We've been here 20 years and we still stare in wonder every day. The other thing is road repair. We get a LOT of rain in the winter so ODOT tries to get all the repairs done in the summer. You will likely hit several of those but it will be worth it!

GumbyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
The road between Cape Mears and Netarts is closed and only open for emergencies. We have had several road failures between Oceanside and Netarts leaving the section between Oceanside and Cape Mears the only way out. But if you take 101 thru Tillamook, you won't go thru that area. 101 is fine all the way.

The ability to follow instructions is highly underrated.
hhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Oregon Coast

We spend a lot of time on our fabulous Oregon Coast. As others have said, north to south is the best way to drive it as you're on the ocean side for the views and the scenic turnouts. Traffic can be slow but who cares? The slower the better. Some random information:

o Ecola State Park, just outside of Cannon Beach, is day use only but has some of the most beautiful views on the Oregon Coast. However, DO NOT tow your rig out there (don't ask me how I know ).

o Speaking if Cannon Beach, it is a beautiful little town. Lots of flowers and good restaurants.

o Cape Lookout State Park is a favorite on the north coast and for some reason often has open sites. Great beach and great sand dollar hunting at low tide.

o Nehalem State Park, near Cape Lookout, is another favorite. Large park on a spit bewteen the ocean and Nehalem Bay. Great crabbing for Dungeness - there are so many this year they're calling it a crab invasion.

o Newport on the central coast is another great town. South Beach SP is another favorite. Beautiful lighthouse and great tide pools at Yaquina Head. Another great area for crabbing.

o It is very crowded this time of year and campsites can be hard to find. One of my favorite places, Cape Blanco State Park on the southern coast, is first come, first served and usually has sites available. Don't miss the tour of the Cape Blanco Lighthouse, oldest continually operating one on the Oregon Coast. Love the Crazy Norwegian restaurant in Port Orford.

o Harris Beach SP in Bandon is wonderful but very popular.

I'm leaving Thursday for a week at Nehalem Bay SP for an AS rally. Stop by and say hi.

John & Vicki
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:14 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
2016 28' Flying Cloud
Kennesaw , Georgia
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
We just did that road, no problems whatsoever with our 25'.

Safety Tip: Do NOT stay at "Sea and Sand" in Depoe Bay!!! Let me know if you need more details.
drboyd - I saw your cautionary note about Sand and Surf at Defoe. I am currently planning a spring trip to the Oregon Coast. Can you provide additional info about why you warned readers? Thanks in advance. Doug
dugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
You got the word from lots of folks. HW101 is not a big deal to tow. It is busy, but as long as you are comfortable moving at or near the speed limit, that is not much of an issue. Speed limit drops in the two lane sections and when it goes up, there is generally an extra lane for folks to pass if they are in a hurry.

Watch for drop offs when pulling over to let folks pass or to view the ocean. There are also some standing water areas in some pull offs and while we did not find any, standing water hides chuck holes.

Caution - most of the road work is just a slow down. You wait a while and then move on. However, we did find one very hazardous spot. The trucks were using a tight pull off on a blind turn going down hill. If you were not ready to make a full stop when you came upon a truck turning in, well ..... be ready to stop, not just slow down.

Enjoy your trip. We enjoyed ours and appreciated the information that others provided about the area. The redwoods are fantastic. Do not miss the Avenue of the Giants. Drive it all. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:45 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB International
Sherwood , Oregon
The state campgrounds are the best we have ever experienced. Some schools have started so the pressure is not as great and you may be able to reserve and some have some of their sites set aside for "walk up", first come, first served. Beautiful drive, enjoy! Check out Harris Beach State Park just north of Brooking with a walking trail into Brookings.
2014 25FB International Serenity, Blue OX Sway Pro,
2016 F350 4x4 Ultimate Lariat crew cab SRW, LWB, 6.7 PSD, 20" wheels, Ingot Silver Metallic, DiamondBack tonneau cover, TrailFX wheel-to-wheel step bars.
NWRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:46 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Thanks for the info. I will take this route going north in November.

Here I found the info on my "mountain directory" app. FYI

"48. US HIGHWAY 101

(between Lincoln City and Cape Meares, OR)

Between Lincoln City and Neskowin, US 101 includes a summit near Cascade Head. The grade is 6% for 2 miles on each side of the hill. Also, the county road between Pacific City and Netarts, called the "Three Scenics Route" includes a summit near Cape Lookout with grades from 6 to 12% for about 2 miles on both sides of the hill. The loop up to Cape Meares includes short grades in the 8-10% range. Whenever your map shows a "Cape" along the coast, there is a good chance of short, steep grades."
spreadmywing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
If you like trains , ships and plains there are a lot of fun places to see and ride trains.

Astoria has a vintage trolley that runs every day along the river a must ride and the best place to get on is a the coast guard museum . Plenty of parking for the trailer.

Garabulde has a train ride that goes up the coast to Rockaway Beach and back.

Tillamook has the cheese factory ( yum ) and the air museum is a must see.

While in the area a detour inland to McMinville to see the Spruce Goose and a bunch of other meet planes and even take a plunge on the water slide.

Plus more fun stuff down the coast.
Glen & Jane 1969 Airstream 25' Trade Wind
2014 Toyota Tundra
1998 Chevy Tahoe
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe
2004 Chevy SSR+ 4 other trailers & 6 other Cars & Trucks
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:02 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
2004 22' Safari
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Originally Posted by Thiss View Post
While towing, avoid "Three Scenic Route" between Pacific City and Netarts.

Enjoy your trip!
To do so would mean missing out camping at one the most beautiful state parks - Cape Look Out. Which has lots of sites for larger rigs.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:38 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
1971 27' Overlander
Monmouth , Oregon
Yup that's the one to stay off of with a trailer. Main route of 101 is a breeze.

Other tidbits, mostly about the Central Coast.

Yachats (yah hots) has diesel. Reedsport, Florence, and the north side of Tillamook have convenient fuel stations.

Waldport is a great and beautiful town, south of Newport, that most people just drive through. Grand Central is a great pizza place and there is a nice icecream shop across the road. There is also a very convenient and clean municipal dump station; costs three dollars; it is the last left on the south side of town on Star St. by the RV park. South of town Gov. Patterson is a very quite day use beach with easy and close parking.

South of Lincoln City (just drive on through there if you want to avoid the crowds) is Gleneden Beach. There is nice beach access to one of the best places to hunt aggots (at low tide) and there is also the Side Door cafe. Speaking of tides, the iPhone app High Tode is a useful tool while on the coast.

Rogue Brewery in South Beach is a nice place for lunch and they have a big parking lot. Old Town Newport is great, but parking is tight and limited; not trailer friendly.

My favorite campgrounds are all state run, they are:

South Beach in Newport
Bullards Beach, Bandon
Sutton, Reedsport

Beverly Beach, north of Newport is not very private and a bit overhyped. But if you can get a spot closest to the beach it is pretty convenient.

Bandon Creamery is a yummy stop in an overall cool town.

Tillamook Creamery has trailer parking, but it may be full, and you will have a bit of a walk.

Tillamook County runs a campground, Bayview Jetty Park, that is not too private but has full hookups and easy access to Garibaldy and Rockaway. The steam train ride out of Rockaway is pretty cool.

I think I will keep my last couple of secrets
1971 Overlander Twin bed, rear bath.

2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 Crew Longbed
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:42 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Stanwood , Washington
Oregon Coast Highway 101

Just came back from two weeks on the Oregon Coast, towing a 25' Safari, no problem, roads are good, lots of places to turn off if needed. People in Oregon are pretty polite. Have fun!
dfschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:03 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member
1971 27' Overlander
Monmouth , Oregon
Originally Posted by Northerngirl View Post
To do so would mean missing out camping at one the most beautiful state parks - Cape Look Out. Which has lots of sites for larger rigs.
I was just in BC. You all like your double digits grades Kidding aside, we loved it up there and I really appreciated the well signed roads. Downhills grades were no issue since I knew how steep and how long. Most times in Oregon you are lucky if you event get the scary truck falling off the hill sign with little insight into how long and fast.

Now that you gave away one of the secrete campgrounds though, and I am glad you did because it is a great spot.

Cape Lookout is perfectly accessible from Tillamook. Come in from Tillamook and back out Tillamook for an easier journey. Heading south from the campground on the "Scenic" route is more difficult. I would leave the trailer in camp and head for Pacific City for a cold Kiwanda Cream Ale at the brewery and a possible hike up the sand hill.
1971 Overlander Twin bed, rear bath.

2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 Crew Longbed
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:38 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member
2014 27' FB International
Avila Beach , California
Just did it two weeks ago on our return trip from was worth the extra time and a piece of cake; there are far worse roads (and I don't me Alaska-they were amazing!)

Be prepared for some road construction but look at it as an opportunity to get out a stretch your legs and breathe in the sights and fresh air.

Be sure to stop in Tillamook at the Cheese factory, in Cannon Beach and Brookings is pretty neat also and in our estimation a better place to re-supply than Crescent City.

Have fun and enjoy the ride.

"don't let life get in the way of living"
LOGRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:21 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Originally Posted by dugster View Post
drboyd - I saw your cautionary note about Sand and Surf at Defoe. I am currently planning a spring trip to the Oregon Coast. Can you provide additional info about why you warned readers? Thanks in advance. Doug
Check your private messages.

"Between what matters and what seems to matter, how should the world we know judge wisely?" - E.C. Bentley, Trent's Last Case
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote