Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2002, 01:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Information needed on Passport America

How is Passport America? How are their campgrounds? Are the campgrounds way off the beaten path? Is it worth it?

Thanks, John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 03:05 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
PA

It was a big waste for me. It seemed that if a campground was somewhere where I could use it, it had either closed, full, or was no longer affiliated with Passport America. I consider it $50 thrown away.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 05:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

John,

Thanks for confirming what I heard from some others.

John
Old 01-17-2004, 03:27 PM   #4
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
Sorry to drag this back up to the front...

Passport America..

I became a member of this 4 months ago, and stayed 11 nights out of 14 in a passport site - each giving me at least 50% off the cost of the night - One in California for 4 days, one in Utah for 2 days... Others just over night. I used the supplied directory, and saw only 3 sites I would not stay at. 1 I could not stay at because I had not got an adapter for the electric - 50 amp only.. Now I have my Airstream, I expect to be spending a lot of time in Passport sites - If anyone felt it not worth it, two years ago, it may have changed somewhat, or I just may like the places they have sites. I called each site I stayed at to confirm the program prior to arriving, and had at least 3 others within 20 miles of each chosen site, to fall back on.

I am looking at all such clubs, as I will be fulltime in a few short weeks, once I get the trailer working right. (fulltime on a budget. What a concept.)

Theo
Old 01-17-2004, 05:03 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

We have been a member for several years. I think you can still check their website. It gives campgrounds and locations for all the states. Check states you would most need it. We used the Branson, Missouri campground several times and it was awesome. It looked right over the city. Branson View. We certainly recovered our money. It had a small pool, but our grandson had it all to himself. He loved it.

I will check shortly to verify, but I think it is just www.passportamerica.com.
myrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 05:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

I did after all join PA and it was worth the money. Over a 17 day period from FL to TX, I spent $170 for full hook-ups w/cable tv. One CG had free local phone service.

Most CG were either new or under new management and they were trying to drum up some business. All were clean!!
Old 01-17-2004, 08:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i looked at the sites i thought i would use and all were discounted for one night only. and had a lot of only during off peak ect ect. havent looked at the program lately.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 09:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
There are a lot of restrictions but if you do a little homework before hand it can pay big dividends. We plan our trips prior to leaving home and have found that we can use passport and still stay on our planned route, but not at every stop.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 06:22 PM   #9
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
I am hoping to be in a Passport site at least 5 days in a week.. That way, fulltiming will be cheaper..

I will be boondocking from time to time also - there are many free sites in state parks, that have water, but nothing else - I will try some of them, that allow the daytime use of the genny.

I am not sure about Walmart parking lots though.. I have not tried that one but once, and didn't get a wink of sleep all night, waiting for security to tell me to go away. They never did though.

Theo