Old 08-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Thanks Tom. I have to go that way in about a week. I was going to ask about a alternative.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:54 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
roads

Killer. I have driven across Indiana, the southern part, on I-64 and it wasn't bad at all. That was 2010, pretty new pavement. Made good time across there.
I see that you all in Indiana are building that brand new interstate I-69 between Indianapolis and Evansville. It looks very smooth in the 'google-car', the parts completed. Spending top dollar on it.

The contract snow-plows here in Virginia like to tear up the pavement.
Have to keep buying those Load range ' E' tires.

have a good one !

Old 08-31-2014, 02:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
NoI-69 Extension Not Wanted by TYaxpayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvekcat View Post
Killer. I have driven across Indiana, the southern part, on I-64 and it wasn't bad at all. That was 2010, pretty new pavement. Made good time across there.
I see that you all in Indiana are building that brand new interstate I-69 between Indianapolis and Evansville. It looks very smooth in the 'google-car', the parts completed. Spending top dollar on it.

The contract snow-plows here in Virginia like to tear up the pavement.
Have to keep buying those Load range ' E' tires.

have a good one !
Yes, the I-69 extension is another Mitch Daniels debacle that the taxpayers have had to suffer through. His administration took federal tax dollars to line the pockets of the politically connected. Refused to tell the taxpayers how much they spent on purchasing right-of-way to hide their misdeeds (violation of federal law). This money should have been spent to maintain existing roadways... Sorry to vent but it's extremely irritating to watch the criminal wrongdoing go unpunished while we who use and pay for the roads have our vehicles destroyed at their expense.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvekcat View Post
I came I-57 to I-64 this past summer and had no problems pulling my boat. The road was in very good shape. Last summer I took I-64 from St. Louis (no trailer) and it was in very good condition from there also.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I guess I'm so used to Indiana roads, that I didn't know they're any worse than anybody else's roads! I'm an expert pot-hole avoider All I know is that every summer, the expressways are always under construction. Maybe they're faking it!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
And here I thought we the first thread in the history of this forum where everyone agrees. Oh, well back to normal.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:37 PM   #21
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
When I started this thread I thought someone might actually provide a counterpoint. But, having gone coast-to-coast (haven't done this since 2003), it became pretty clear that there has been a LOT of deferred maintenance on our interstate system....many, many bridges are being redone. The other thing that was apparent was the sheer volume of trucks on our highways! On the plus side, it send a signal of plenty of commerce -- and I know they pay a lot of road tax as well. I can't imagine those folks who are pulling triple bottoms. I find 28' enough of a challenge.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
Stop hating on all Indiana roads. Just finished a road trip from KS-MO-TX-FL-GA-OH-IN-KS a total of 4,000+ miles. Indiana roads were just fine and comparable with all roads except texas and florida, the two with the best roads on the trip. As for the toll road in the North end of Indiana, a quick chat with any local would have steered anyone clear. The worst roads by far were Kentucky on my trip, but even then it was just the old style concrete interstates with the constant ba-doom-ba-doom instead of the smooth interstates we have all been babied with. Overall Indiana has great interstates and highways, but the worst toll road in the US. But if you don't like the toll road you don't have to ride on it.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:23 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
Wow you guys are harsh. I have been on some pretty crappy roads but never wrote off the entire state because of it. Here in Southern Indiana we have some pretty decent roads. I have never driven on the toll road before so I can't comment on that particular road.
There is a lot more trucks on the roads because of all the imported goods. They pay a lot of road tax but sure do punish the roads.
Hickory
Old 09-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
All the money being spent on bridges currently is because of the I35W bridge debacle a few years ago. Thirteen deaths (we were extremely lucky there weren't a lot more) woke people up to the danger.
And I'm not dissing the entire state of Indiana, just the toll roads.

Kay
Old 09-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickory View Post
Wow you guys are harsh. I have been on some pretty crappy roads but never wrote off the entire state because of it. Here in Southern Indiana we have some pretty decent roads. I have never driven on the toll road before so I can't comment on that particular road.
There is a lot more trucks on the roads because of all the imported goods. They pay a lot of road tax but sure do punish the roads.
Hickory
There are more trucks on the road not because of imported goods but One reason railroads no longer have lcs and full loads as I have seen many factories go from rr serv. to trucks because of poor service and long shipping times plus many manf. now use just in time deliv. for manuf. also less service and tracks to serv. cities, all they want is long haul plus tofc is no longer. Trucks are point to point for manf. goods etc. plus much more being produced today. I'm not touting trucks but it's fact of life, also I'm a retired conductor from railroad w/36 yrs. of serv so I have seen the transition from trains to trucks, yes there are a lot of imported goods, but not the cause of more trucks as stated but the way that transportation has evolved. Yes trucks do hurt older roads but new way of building new or rebuilding older roads eliminates this prob. if not built by firms w/kick backs or built substandard.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I didn't write these states off due to the roads, I have already spent enough time up there to know I wouldn't want to go back.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Not Hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycan View Post
Stop hating on all Indiana roads. Just finished a road trip from KS-MO-TX-FL-GA-OH-IN-KS a total of 4,000+ miles. Indiana roads were just fine and comparable with all roads except texas and florida, the two with the best roads on the trip. As for the toll road in the North end of Indiana, a quick chat with any local would have steered anyone clear. The worst roads by far were Kentucky on my trip, but even then it was just the old style concrete interstates with the constant ba-doom-ba-doom instead of the smooth interstates we have all been babied with. Overall Indiana has great interstates and highways, but the worst toll road in the US. But if you don't like the toll road you don't have to ride on it.
Just drove from Kentucky to mid-state of Michigan and back last week, so I have plenty of experience driving on Indiana roadways. Having lived for over 40 years in the state of Indian I can speak of first hand knowledge of their roads. I always take secondary roads, which are somewhat better that their interstates, when traveling to Northern Indiana to visit family/friends. Interstate 69 from Scottsburg, just North of Louisville, to pretty much the South side of Indianapolis is very bad. They have patched the road for about the last 5 to 10 years and are just now, finally, going to perform a major overhaul. If I get on any interstate in Indiana, I stay in the left lane as much as possible to avoid damaging my AS.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
Just drove from Kentucky to mid-state of Michigan and back last week, so I have plenty of experience driving on Indiana roadways. Having lived for over 40 years in the state of Indian I can speak of first hand knowledge of their roads. I always take secondary roads, which are somewhat better that their interstates, when traveling to Northern Indiana to visit family/friends. Interstate 69 from Scottsburg, just North of Louisville, to pretty much the South side of Indianapolis is very bad. They have patched the road for about the last 5 to 10 years and are just now, finally, going to perform a major overhaul. If I get on any interstate in Indiana, I stay in the left lane as much as possible to avoid damaging my AS.
Fair enough, I am not familiar with that stretch of I-69, as I only use it to go to From Indianapolis to Fort Wayne. Thanks for the tip though, I will do the same if ever on that route.

Lived in Indiana for 10 years as well, and had no issues from Cincinnati to Indianapolis, Indy to Fort Wayne, Indy to Bloomington, Indy to Dayton, OH, Indy to Springfield, IL, and Indy to Chicago. I did make the mistake of taking the toll road once.... I got off of it after the first 10 miles because of the condition. It was just prior to selling it to the foreign investors, and IIRC they were Middle Eastern.