Old 12-24-2014, 06:29 AM   #57
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Having driven a lot in lots of different places, the only place I was stuck for any significant period of time was in Oklahoma,,,,, three days while waiting for the interstate to be free enough of packed snow and ice. They simply didn't have the resources to deal with this kind of deep freeze there.

In my experience, where they are equipped to deal with snow and ice, the highway departments do a pretty good job of clearing primary highways and well travelled secondary roads within a day or so after major precipitation ceases.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow
There are some places that are 'equipped'.......

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	!cid_006a01c87f2f$d65da170$2f01a8c0@yourf78bf48ce2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	229136  

Old 12-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #58
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
There are some places that are 'equipped'.......

Bob
That picture kind of reminds me of when I lived in northeastern Maine as a kid. Cars had whip antenna-style flagpoles on all four fenders so that people could even FIND their cars after the snowplow had come by and piled snow from the streets on the yards and driveways. Then everyone big enough to hold a snow shovel helped dig out the cars so the breadwinner could go to work.

Of course, the snowbanks weren't nearly as high as in the picture, but they WERE still taller than the cars!

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Stumbled across this post this morning, and although you've already cancelled the trip, I can tell you for sure it was a bad idea. My in laws have a cabin in Valle Crucis and we've been up here for the last week and a half.

I can say there's no way I'd bring my AS up here. I've seen one Excella however, so that was exciting, but it was in Boone and not in Blowing Rock or any of the outlying towns. My wife's eyes lit up and said "Hey, we shou--" and I cut her off and replied "Uh, no."

The trip to Beech is a bit sketchy on a good day, I can't imagine making it with a trailer of any size.

That said, the area is absolutely beautiful and there's plenty to do so you should definitely make the trip up without the trailer or leave the trailer in Boone and go on day trips like we frequently do.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
Y'all are so cute, so funny and oh so knowledgable. Please forgive this Florida girl for her ignorance. We have 2 co detectors and 2 space heaters. There's no snow or rain in the forecast for the days we are driving but it may get a little wet while we are parked. The highs are in the 40's and 50'with lows in the upper 20's. I think we'll have to seek the snow out, but that's fine. This will be a learning experience for us all. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1419431301.637852.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  134.2 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1419431313.822937.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  136.3 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1419431326.730119.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  129.7 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1419431336.964437.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  121.4 KB

Doesn't she look cozy!!!
Old 12-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Having driven a lot in lots of different places, the only place I was stuck for any significant period of time was in Oklahoma,,,,, three days while waiting for the interstate to be free enough of packed snow and ice. They simply didn't have the resources to deal with this kind of deep freeze there.

In my experience, where they are equipped to deal with snow and ice, the highway departments do a pretty good job of clearing primary highways and well travelled secondary roads within a day or so after major precipitation ceases.
I encountered bad snow in OK on a number of occasions. We were going to the in laws for Christmas. I mentioned the bad conditions to the guy in the toll booth and he said that the highway was actually closed. By Canadian standards it was nasty but passable. Funny thing was, closed or not, he was there collecting the fares.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #62
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Megan, your AS looks very comfy on the inside.

I don't know whether the southern states have webcams like the ones we have for British Columbia highways, but I find this one very helpful.

B.C.Highway Cams

One common problem in the mountains is that it can be raining in the valleys, then snowing in the mountains, with a "slush line" hiding glare ice underneath, between these two elevation zones. Some of the southern states encounter a lot of freezing rain, where North meets South.

Have a wonderful Christmas with your family.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #63
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The worst winter driving I ever encountered was in Dallas, TX when a freeze followed on the heels of a thunderstorm with sleet. No snow, but black ice everywhere! Not having the option then to park and wait for it to clear, I joined all of the other idiots on the road creeping along the I-635 loop at a mere 10mph. The one ond only car that passed me was a Volkswagen that zoomed by at what must have been a blistering 35mph, only to end up on the side of the road, upside down, and still spinning like a top on it's top, less than a mile later.

I did do one thing right, though… The exit I needed had a flyover ramp, so I drove past it to the next exit, turned around, and came back to the exit I needed going the other way, thereby avoiding the high ramp. Steeply banked flyover ramps, with ice, when you're not going anywhere near as fast as the banked surface was designed for, is a virtual guarantee of sliding to— and maybe over— the inside railing. And that possibility scared me as much as anything on the road has EVER scared me!

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote