Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2014, 11:52 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Bill. How can I tell if my WD hitch and sway control is one of these?
Also, please describe what you are saying in physical terms, because it goes counter to what my understanding of things are. I do understand that if the hitches are not properly adjusted, that might be the case, otherwise I do not understand it.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:56 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, My hitch must be one of the good ones because it worked well while I was towing on snow and ice.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:02 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, My hitch must be one of the good ones because it worked well while I was towing on snow and ice.
I think that the goodness of a hitch is proportional to the skill and patience of the driver.

Ken
Old 12-23-2014, 12:03 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I think that the goodness of a hitch is proportional to the skill and patience of the driver.

Ken
P.S. I have copyrighted this post in case it goes viral due to it's innate wisdom.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:17 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
I know that Husky says to disconnect their friction sway control in wet weather. I'm wondering about the Equalizer system.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:30 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Quote:
I know that Husky says to disconnect their friction sway control in wet weather. I'm wondering about the Equalizer system.
If you have any rear wheel drive only vehicle, it stands to reason to keep as much weight on the rear wheel as possible in a slick situation. I expect that is what they are thinking of. The more sway control you have, the less weight on the rear drive wheels you will have. it would apply equally to an equalizer hitch. However, they might not advertise it as the ideal front to back weight distribution would vary greatly from second to second in most slick driving conditions. So it may be best to ignore it and stop in the next campground and avoid all this nonsense.

Ken
Old 12-23-2014, 05:57 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:

Hi, disconnecting Equal-I-zer's friction sway control would be to remove the spring bars. This would overload the rear of the vehicle and drastically reduce weight on the steer axles. Not a good idea especially in bad weather. I have towed in all kinds of weather and the only adjustments that I have done was to turn down my brake controller so that the trailer brakes wouldn't lock up before the tow vehicle's brakes. [this was done in snow and on ice]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:52 AM   #48
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
My understanding ( limited as it is) regarding sway control in slippery conditions is those using a friction sway control device. I've read that these devices may be disconnected in order to improve handling. NOW, if the sway control features of a hitch is integral to the weight distribution I would heed the advice above by Bob and not disconnect it at the risk of compromising the steering and overloading the rear suspension. Personally I have a hitch with sway control built in and cannot be disconnected but with prior hitch use I did not use a sway control and never felt I needed it.

Drive carefully, see ya'll on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
Yes, we are traveling w the whole family. Husband will be driving in mountains. Also, I'm hoping the TN mountains and location of the koa will be less treacherous than the squirly roads in and out of banner elk. The for sat also has us traveling on dry days.

Another question, our Overlander is a '75 and I'm nervous about using the old furnace for fear that we either poison ourselves or blow up. The camper is in great shape, but that is not a system I want to gamble with. Anyone see a problem w using space heaters so long as they are clear from walls and objects?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
megan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
A lot of us use space heaters. Preferably use only those with modern safety features such as a shutoff switch if the unit turns over. Instruct children in safety procedures regarding them and enforce the rules.

Get your furnace checked by a competent HVAC technician for safety as soon as you can.

Carbon monoxide detectors are inexpensive, battery powered, and easy to install in your trailer.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Get at least one combo smoke-co detector, or one fir each end of the trailer. An LP detector is also handy. These are a must for using the furnace.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Ag&AU... P.S. I have copyrighted this post in case it goes viral due to it's innate wisdom.

Need trailer traction on snow and ice... chain them up.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I'm petrified

Go see the snow.

Just wait for the road crews to work their magic.

Snow and ice is not usually allowed to accumulate for long in areas where snow and ice is common.

Unless you get yourself caught in a blizzard, or you are very impatient after a snow or ice event chances are the roads will be clear.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #54
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
J. Morgan, I suspect the road-clearing conditions vary substantially, depending upon where you are. Oftentimes in snow country, the local highway department gurus assume that folks in the area know how to drive in the stuff. Our house is on a school bus route, so our road is regularly plowed and sanded-- unless it's a weekend or holiday. We live just east of a major mountain pass, however, and it is often snow-packed at the summit, including during late-spring snowstorms. In the West, any place with snow fences is an indication of frequent blowing and drifting snow. Often times in the mountains, the plows don't operate at night, so early morning, even in sunshine, may not be the best time to drive.

Also, some areas are big on road salt-- good for the traction, but not so great for aluminum trailers.

Megan, for sure get your furnace inspected. We often use an electric space heater if we have a plug-in. But a big reason to use the furnace when it gets below freezing at night-- and not above freezing during the day-- is that the furnace should blow heat below your floor, to keep your waterlines from freezing up. (We generally winterize our trailer, however; and camp that way. Inconvenient, but no worries.)

A furnace can use up a lot of propane, so this is a good time to make sure your tanks are full.

BTW, I just watched the DVD of the Disney film "Frozen" while visiting family for Christmas. I thought of your thread, and wondered how many children in Florida who saw it are itching to play in the white stuff!

Please report back and let us know how your trip went.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Having driven a lot in lots of different places, the only place I was stuck for any significant period of time was in Oklahoma,,,,, three days while waiting for the interstate to be free enough of packed snow and ice. They simply didn't have the resources to deal with this kind of deep freeze there.

In my experience, where they are equipped to deal with snow and ice, the highway departments do a pretty good job of clearing primary highways and well travelled secondary roads within a day or so after major precipitation ceases.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Megan

Electric space heaters are ok to use. Any other kind of portable heater can kill you unless you leave a window open.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:29 AM   #57
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Having driven a lot in lots of different places, the only place I was stuck for any significant period of time was in Oklahoma,,,,, three days while waiting for the interstate to be free enough of packed snow and ice. They simply didn't have the resources to deal with this kind of deep freeze there.

In my experience, where they are equipped to deal with snow and ice, the highway departments do a pretty good job of clearing primary highways and well travelled secondary roads within a day or so after major precipitation ceases.

There are some places that are 'equipped'.......

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	!cid_006a01c87f2f$d65da170$2f01a8c0@yourf78bf48ce2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	229136  
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:05 AM   #58
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
There are some places that are 'equipped'.......

Bob
That picture kind of reminds me of when I lived in northeastern Maine as a kid. Cars had whip antenna-style flagpoles on all four fenders so that people could even FIND their cars after the snowplow had come by and piled snow from the streets on the yards and driveways. Then everyone big enough to hold a snow shovel helped dig out the cars so the breadwinner could go to work.

Of course, the snowbanks weren't nearly as high as in the picture, but they WERE still taller than the cars!
Old 12-24-2014, 07:21 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Stumbled across this post this morning, and although you've already cancelled the trip, I can tell you for sure it was a bad idea. My in laws have a cabin in Valle Crucis and we've been up here for the last week and a half.

I can say there's no way I'd bring my AS up here. I've seen one Excella however, so that was exciting, but it was in Boone and not in Blowing Rock or any of the outlying towns. My wife's eyes lit up and said "Hey, we shou--" and I cut her off and replied "Uh, no."

The trip to Beech is a bit sketchy on a good day, I can't imagine making it with a trailer of any size.

That said, the area is absolutely beautiful and there's plenty to do so you should definitely make the trip up without the trailer or leave the trailer in Boone and go on day trips like we frequently do.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
Y'all are so cute, so funny and oh so knowledgable. Please forgive this Florida girl for her ignorance. We have 2 co detectors and 2 space heaters. There's no snow or rain in the forecast for the days we are driving but it may get a little wet while we are parked. The highs are in the 40's and 50'with lows in the upper 20's. I think we'll have to seek the snow out, but that's fine. This will be a learning experience for us all. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1419431301.637852.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  134.2 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1419431313.822937.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  136.3 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1419431326.730119.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  129.7 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1419431336.964437.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  121.4 KB