Old 12-20-2014, 10:10 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Lake Forest Park , Washington
We have taken our 19' Safari on ski trips, towing with a BMW X5 with good all season tires. I have driven in snow for many years, and found the rig handles confidently if the temperatures are mid twenties or lower. With ice I would stay put or take alternate routes.

Since you live in FL, it is not easy for you to gain experience in snow, taking it in small manageable doses. First learn to drive the TV in snow, then try it with trailer. With experience and the right equipment, one can take their Airstream into snow country and enjoy the experience. But caution is advised, and there are many more risks. Do consider whether your TV is suitable for snow.

The comment about salt and corrosion is right on. You risk corrosion if you do not promptly wash away any road salts.

Charlie

Old 12-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, from my experiences of towing on snow and ice, I feel that the trailer and tow vehicle together handles better. Instead of my 17' Lincoln, I have a 44' long vehicle. Bow waves from big rigs and gusts of wind blow my Lincoln farther than when I have my Safari attached.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Did you post this as a joke or did I miss something in your intent?
Hi, a joke would end like this, " " or maybe like this. "" This is not a joke. A longer vehicle obviously handles some situations better than a short vehicle. With my trailer, Equal-i-zer hitch, and Lincoln all connected, I have one 44' vehicle. On our last 6,000 mile trip, I encountered some snow and many days of very high winds. Believe what you want, but this is my experience. You can also read my Air Forums Blog: "Bob, Lee, and Dusty's random trips" and you will see when and where I've been. South Dakota in October is a good example of one.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #31
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
As far as I'm concerned, the title of your thread is the last sensible thought in it. If you want to go in snow and ice, an Airstream is the last trailer you want to do it in. It is fragile, very expensive to repair body damage, poorly insulated, and designed to look good on sunny beaches with pink flamingos. Under no condition would I intentionally get mine or anyone else's anywhere near icy roads and extreme cold temperatures. If you want to spend your time in or even venture into snow, buy a Bigfoot or some other well insulated trailer designed to handle cold weather and survive an occasional bump into something solid. You can dent an Airstream with a snowball or accent pillow with very little effort.

Ken

P.S. snow is not all it is made out to be. It is cold and becomes wet when even slightly warmed. It gets dirty easily and then looks just like cold mud. Go find some sunny warm weather.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Ag&Au condensed all the best advice into one post. Don't expect the best outcome with the unpredictable.

Parked at a truck stop for a day or two in below freezing weather waiting for the roads to be cleared and dry... is a miserable option to a hotel room. The money you save on fuel and RV parking will easily ease your mind by finding a cozy hotel room, probably for less cost. Airstreams are great during the warm months... but unless you have a generator, lots of down time in the event of icy weather... I would not attempt it.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I would recommend you not attempt any bad weather in mountain or hilled areas with your trailer. I have lived in FL for most of my life but when I first started driving my family lived in KY. I got stuck many times on "snow days" driving on the hilly curvy roads around my home. Sometimes on purpose!

The thing is, you can be going about 10-20 mph and if you hit a section of ice, vibrate right off the road just going straight (crested pavement) down a hill. I did it more than once and that was in a Volkswagen Beetle with no trailer. Beetles are known to be pretty good in snow.

The other issue is that if you get into some more remote areas, they will often use cinders and SALT. Aluminum does not like salt. Perhaps you may find snow in SC? A less hilly place?
Old 12-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
MooreHaven , Florida
There is a very nice bed and breakfast in Banner Elk,too bad i dont remember the name,very nice people! We stayed there one night during a tent camping trip one fall when the weather was really bad.Leaving Banner Elk we encountered an uphill switchback that was so tight that we could not stay on our side of the white line,the road was wet and covered in leaves.We were driving a VW Jetta, i would not be in that area in a snow storm towing anything!
Lived in upstate New York most of my life And grew up knowing how to drive in the winter,raced sports cars on the frozen lakes for winter fun.(google AMEC ice racing) but i have lived in Florida a long time i wouldnt want to even drive a AWD car around the mtns in the Banner Elk area in snow and ice.just my 2 cents. Don
Old 12-20-2014, 06:04 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
We've cancelled the trip into North Carolina. We're going to hang tight in Tennessee for the full time and just drive to snow on a day trip if we need. Thanks for all your guidance.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Telluride , Colorado
Hi Megan, Based at 9450 in the rocky mtns I see my share of snow and ice driving. I like it, I love to winter camp and drive on the snow and ice. All that being said the hazard for me is not the road conditions, those I can adjust with my skill set, the hazard is the other driver.

Now if you are petrified, you are a hazard for your self and others.

Regards,

Wm
Old 12-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdiferis View Post
Hi Megan, Based at 9450 in the rocky mtns I see my share of snow and ice driving. I like it, I love to winter camp and drive on the snow and ice. All that being said the hazard for me is not the road conditions, those I can adjust with my skill set, the hazard is the other driver.

Now if you are petrified, you are a hazard for your self and others.

Regards,

Wm
However if you can switch that to putrefied, you will have the highway to yourself.
I'm sure frosty the snowman will be aired several times this holiday season. Watch it and get your snow fix while warm and secure.

Ken
Old 12-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #38
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Good idea, Megan. In your OP, I noticed you said "family." If your family includes small children, then for sure it's not worth the risk.

If you do have children, I hope they enjoy making snow men (wet snow, for good packing,) making snow-angels (requires deeper snow,) and perhaps even a little skiing (requires a deep snow base) or ice-skating-- all the stuff that we don't care to drive in.

For anyone else contemplating a similar trip. It occurs to me that snow country also harbours a lot of snow-mobilers who do haul their "toys" in winter driving conditions. So far as I know, though, most of these people are locals who know the area and have experience driving in it. (Not that we approve of snow-mobiling, mind-you! I hope to get the snow-shoes out this winter, finally.)
Old 12-22-2014, 11:33 PM   #39
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Wise decision.. well done!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:44 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
And the WD hitch and sway controls on some hitches can work against you in slick conditions.
Bill. How can I tell if my WD hitch and sway control is one of these?
Old 12-23-2014, 12:52 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Bill. How can I tell if my WD hitch and sway control is one of these?
Also, please describe what you are saying in physical terms, because it goes counter to what my understanding of things are. I do understand that if the hitches are not properly adjusted, that might be the case, otherwise I do not understand it.

Ken
Old 12-23-2014, 12:56 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, My hitch must be one of the good ones because it worked well while I was towing on snow and ice.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote