Old 12-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
It is not safe to pull a trailer on snow or ice even on flat ground. The skiers in their little 4wds are not going to allow for the fact that you got the stopping distance of an aircraft carrier on snow and ice. And the WD hitch and sway controls on some hitches can work against you in slick conditions. I like the idea of leaving the trailer somewhere at lower elevations and doing the ski resort part of the trip without it. I guess I would pull it into the mountains if I was not on a tightly fixed schedule and I had time to wait until the roads cleared if it snowed but on a fixed time frame I would keep the trailer well out of the snow areas. A few hundred dollars extra for a motel is a whole lot cheaper than a tow job and a dent or worse.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Rollover - Be Thou Zen + Pay it forward.

I walked away from a rollover with my second Airstream - clear weather in summer. Everything happened in a fraction of a second and I'm never going to be absolutely sure whether it was entirely my error, entirely something outside like a sudden high speed crosswind, or some flaw in the road, the tow vehicle, the hitch or the Airstream - or some from each category.

BAD stuff happens, even to people like me who are only semi-evil.

I am a better, more cautious driver. I stay focused or get the hell off the road until I can put myself into "fully focused" mode. I'm over it, but my new reality is that walking away puts me in debt - helping you avoid a wreck helps me pay that debt... so please help!

Oh, and if you can't afford a nice hotel - that happy incident (I did walk away) did cause me to buy a new truck and a very gently used Airstream. (I full time and couldn't wait six months.) You'd puke if you knew how much "depreciation" suddenly turned in REAL MONEY. And I also went to the E/R to get checked out - my insurance covered everything but $1300.

Now doesn't even a pricy hotel sound cheap?

Best wishes, Paula

Old 12-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
HowieE has a point. The other clueless drivers are more of a hazard than the actual hazards. Folks here in Hunstville, AL don't understand you can't go 80MPH 3 feet off someone's bumper when there is ice on the road. I would be patient and wait for news on how the roads are that you will be traveling on. Also road salt is not something you want on the bottom of your trailer.

Perry
Old 12-18-2014, 09:28 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Perry it's nice to hear someone else's is from Huntsville Alabama besides me.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Anytime one is afraid on the road, it is time to park it! Common sense. And I mean in any kind of situation, snow or dry. Jim
Old 12-18-2014, 09:50 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Darling girl listen to these wise folks!

annie
Old 12-19-2014, 01:22 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
HowieE has a point. The other clueless drivers are more of a hazard than the actual hazards. Folks here in Hunstville, AL don't understand you can't go 80MPH 3 feet off someone's bumper when there is ice on the road. I would be patient and wait for news on how the roads are that you will be traveling on. Also road salt is not something you want on the bottom of your trailer.

Perry
That other Perry is right. You can't drive the other fool's vehicle behind you. Day after Superbowl this year I had stopped all nice and safe and long distance to the truck in front of me at one of those Big, red lights all over, 20 some vehicle pile up on slicked up black ice; didn't even look slick. then BAMMM!!!!! I was pushed into the truck infront of me, they carted me off duck taped to the backboard for observation for a few hours, my old Mountaineer got replaced with a newer Explorer. The officer said the PT Cruiser hit me at about 50 or more. The car tow fellow said they hauled 27 vehicles off that wreck that day. I still won't drive the new I-580 in any kind of near freezing weather. Grooved road makes the road look a lot less slick than the road actually is. Add to the risk on bad roads the fools out behind you.
That other Perry out west somewhere

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:51 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
I am going to go against the flow and say, you can do whatever you want. It's your airstream, your vehicle, and your family. No matter what happens it is your decision. However you need to ask yourself, can you live with it, and the repercussions.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:58 AM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycan View Post
I am going to go against the flow and say, you can do whatever you want. It's your airstream, your vehicle, and your family.
You're not really going against the flow, so much as you're advising the OP not to take advice that was specifically asked for.

But that's okay. Simple fact, no one is ever obligated to take advice given by fellow AirForums members. Not even advice one asked for in the first place. In the end, no matter how much advice is asked for or offered, the final decision and responsibility still belongs to the person behind the wheel.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:50 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The dynamics of a trailer-tow vehicle combination is much more unstable on ice than just the tow vehicle. I can drive in the snow and short patches of ice. I don't know what would happen if that trailer decides to wander when you hit some ice. It could jack knife or just get sideways. Now when you hit pavement again what do you think will happen? Going uphill is better than going down hill that is until you loose traction and start sliding down hill. Using manual trailer braking to pull the whole mess straight is probably your only option in a skid. I don't see good things happening at all when sliding down a hill backwards pulling a trailer.

Perry
Old 12-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You're not really going against the flow, so much as you're advising the OP not to take advice that was specifically asked for.
Not to quibble on details, but that is not at all what I said. Protagonist, we have a misunderstanding.

To Clarify: Framing the perspective of not telling someone who asked for advice what to do, but to encourage them to think introspectively on the risk versus reward, while not knowing the OP driving history/capabilities.

Completely agree with your last paragraph in the above quoted post.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Not my choice for the first outing pulling an AS on snow or ice ....we park our TV / AS up here when the roads get dicey!
YMMV
Old 12-20-2014, 12:10 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
The dynamics of a trailer-tow vehicle combination is much more unstable on ice than just the tow vehicle. I can drive in the snow and short patches of ice. I don't know what would happen if that trailer decides to wander when you hit some ice. It could jack knife or just get sideways. Now when you hit pavement again what do you think will happen? Going uphill is better than going down hill that is until you loose traction and start sliding down hill. Using manual trailer braking to pull the whole mess straight is probably your only option in a skid. I don't see good things happening at all when sliding down a hill backwards pulling a trailer.

Perry
Hi, from my experiences of towing on snow and ice, I feel that the trailer and tow vehicle together handles better. Instead of my 17' Lincoln, I have a 44' long vehicle. Bow waves from big rigs and gusts of wind blow my Lincoln farther than when I have my Safari attached.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, from my experiences of towing on snow and ice, I feel that the trailer and tow vehicle together handles better. Instead of my 17' Lincoln, I have a 44' long vehicle. Bow waves from big rigs and gusts of wind blow my Lincoln farther than when I have my Safari attached.
Did you post this as a joke or did I miss something in your intent?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote