Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Just do it - hook it up, check the connections and signal lights and make sure the hitch is secure and safe and drive. There is no magic to towing a trailer especially an Airstream as long as it is in good shape for towing (straight body, good tires, good brakes). If you don't feel comfortable right away changing lanes then just stay in the right lane. If it was a big deal you would be required to be specially licensed. Jump on youtube and watch how to hitch a trailer. There are also several good videos about backing up a trailer. You will do great!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I think kdickinson is being a little overly optimistic about a person without any towing experience being able to safely tow an Airstream. I'd been a good, though not an expert driver for more than 40 years before I first towed an Airstream. I had towed boat trailers and U-haul trailers. I had years of experience motorcycle and car touring. I appreciated, and needed, the expert and professional orientation given to me by the staff at Bay Area Airstream Adventures. This included not only a 2+ hour orientation in the systems within the trailer, but thorough hands-on instruction on hitching and unhitching the trailer from my TV, and basic instruction in hauling the trailer, including use of the trailer brakes, judging clearance when cornering, and backing it up to park it. I would have been woefully inadequate without all of this instruction. This orientation provided me with maybe 20% of the information I ultimately needed, but enough to get me home safely. I say 20%, but really, I'm still learning after 2+ years. When I finally did arrive home, my neighbor watched me make a number of futile attempts to back into my driveway, before kindly offering to park it for me. I appreciate all of the help I've received, including help from some of you on this forum. Don't be afraid to be overly cautious; it's a lot cheaper to hire someone than it is to repair dents (or worse).
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:56 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Atlanta , Georgia
Get yourself a tow mirror and tow it. Keep it on the right lane where applicable and drive nice and slow. And remember to dump first. When i towed mine from NC to GA, I towed it with full freshwater tank... I checked the gray and black but for whatever reason, completely forgot about the freshwater.
Chae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:56 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
HERMISTON , Oregon
My Airstream arrived today .... the folks at Airstream Adventures NW were able to find someone to bring it out here. Started moving a few things in tonight .... love it!!
scubagirl45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Thanks for letting us know. Congratulations on your new home.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:58 PM   #26

RICHLAND , Washington
Hi Scubagirl45 - I passed your new AS as I was heading to Portland, just west of Arlington. Sure was shinny!

Best of luck to you!
RICKPAR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:32 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Congratulations! I'm happy for you.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:50 AM   #28
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Congrats on the new rig! We like pictures....

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote