Old 03-23-2016, 08:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Angry I'm an idiot

They say confession is good for the soul so I'm confessing. I'm here at Oak Mountain State Park near Birmingham visiting my son. We are leaving tomorrow and it's supposed to have rain with thunderstorms tomorow morning so i thought I'd get hooked up tonight so I wouldn't have to be doing it in the rain. With my ever lovin' guiding me, I got the hitch lined up and lowered the trailer over the ball but it just wouldn't settle. We were on a curve so I thought maybe we had to be lined up. The problem was the drive through campsite was curved so I put the truck in 4wd and went partway down a steep dirt hillside to line up. I then backed up and got it lined up and still no joy.

After a lot of yelling back and forth between me an my honey, with a brief timeout to look up divorce lawyers on our iPhones, I suddenly realized that I hadn't lifted the stabilizer jacks since I wasn't actually leaving yet. Of course the jacks prevented the trailer from settling on the hitch ball.

Got out the electric drill, lifted the stabilizers, had my dearest get us lined up and lo and behold, the trailer settled on the hitch easy peasy.
Cranked the stabilizers back down, just as it got dark and sat here in the trailer kicking myself and apologizing profusely to Aileen who is so forgiving as to put me to shame.

Though alls well that ends well, I still can't believe how stupid I was. As they say, insanity is doing the same thing over and over, each time expecting a different result. After the thing wouldn't settle on the ball the first time, I should have stopped and thought it out.

Ah well I got that off my chest. Thanks for letting me vent.

Richard

Old 03-23-2016, 08:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I am not married but since I AM alive and have had disputes I TOTALLY relate. The most important thing is that you apologized. Now tell her you were training her for the leadership role of inspector before hitching!

Old 03-23-2016, 08:58 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Great story. We've all done similar things. The main point is that we learn from these mishaps.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Welcome to the forum and the crowded world of others who have done plenty of stupid things!

Old 03-23-2016, 09:25 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Most of us have done similar things. Now, tell us about camping at Oak Mtn SP.
TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
If that is the worst mistake you make hooking or unhooking you are a champ!

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I had to send a box of gourmet brownies the the owners of a campground once. 😕

Believe me, what you described happens to the majority of us. Give each other a big hug, try to have a laugh and keep on camping! 😀
Old 03-23-2016, 09:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
PS you might want to check the condition of your front stabilizers. They aren't really designed to carry the load normally resting on the tongue jack. Hopefully you did not stress them that much . . .
Old 03-23-2016, 09:41 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegs View Post
Though alls well that ends well, I still can't believe how stupid I was.
There was once a famous science fiction author named Robert Heinlein, who made up many pithy sayings for his various novels. One of them is pertinent in this case: "The price of stupidity ranges from nothing to death, and is determined entirely at random."

Since the price of your stupidity was "nothing" I'd call it a cheap lesson. My stupidity usually ends up costing a lot more!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:43 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1984 27' Sovereign
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
We once saw a guy drive forward with his jack post down. At least you did not drive forward with them down. Laugh it off and Live The Airstream life.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:11 PM   #11
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
You're not an idiot, this guy is!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...rges-1.3493978

They tested him 5 hours after the incident and he blew three times the legal limit, but they threw it out because it took so long to get him tested.

$1,000,000.00 dollars damage and millions more in damage to the economies to the US and Canada as this is a major artery for goods to and fro from the US.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Just be sure to crank them back up before driving off in the rain tomorrow!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegs View Post
They say confession is good for the soul so I'm confessing. I'm here at Oak Mountain State Park near Birmingham visiting my son. We are leaving tomorrow and it's supposed to have rain with thunderstorms tomorow morning so i thought I'd get hooked up tonight so I wouldn't have to be doing it in the rain. With my ever lovin' guiding me, I got the hitch lined up and lowered the trailer over the ball but it just wouldn't settle. We were on a curve so I thought maybe we had to be lined up. The problem was the drive through campsite was curved so I put the truck in 4wd and went partway down a steep dirt hillside to line up. I then backed up and got it lined up and still no joy.

After a lot of yelling back and forth between me an my honey, with a brief timeout to look up divorce lawyers on our iPhones, I suddenly realized that I hadn't lifted the stabilizer jacks since I wasn't actually leaving yet. Of course the jacks prevented the trailer from settling on the hitch ball.

Got out the electric drill, lifted the stabilizers, had my dearest get us lined up and lo and behold, the trailer settled on the hitch easy peasy.
Cranked the stabilizers back down, just as it got dark and sat here in the trailer kicking myself and apologizing profusely to Aileen who is so forgiving as to put me to shame.

Though alls well that ends well, I still can't believe how stupid I was. As they say, insanity is doing the same thing over and over, each time expecting a different result. After the thing wouldn't settle on the ball the first time, I should have stopped and thought it out.

Ah well I got that off my chest. Thanks for letting me vent.

Richard
Nope, until you've driven off with the stabilziers down and you are putting on the new ones. Or you've driven off with out the ball latched.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Richard, Aileen is a keeper. When Aileen has a bad day, return the favor x10. Remember actions speak louder than words. When you get home, have a candle lit dinner with a bottle of wine. Oh, don't forget to put the Barry White album on the stereo. Keep conversation to a minimum, and go from there My hats off to you for sharing...I thought I was the only idiot. Thanks for letting me know I'm normal. Some advice ...always put the seat down and replace the empty T.P. roll That will keep you alive